Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #11  
Old 03-17-2017, 06:53 PM
benman94's Avatar
benman94 benman94 is offline
Resident Lunatic
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Detroit, MI
Posts: 1,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penthode View Post
I wasn't referring to just the move to intercarrier. RCA reduced the number of IF stages and cheapened the sync circuitry and dropped DC restoration.

The loss of the video IF stage means that about 1MHz of video response was lost. I suppose the loss of picture detail was worth the cost saving.

There was a couple of RCA B&W models with four VIF stages in 1953 but I believe they were gone in 1954.

I believe the best RCA B&W sets were built between 1948 and 1952. (The cheapened kcs47 chassis is an exception). The kcs66 (Million Proof) sets were the epitome: they employed intercarrier sound, four video IF stages, DC video coupling and keyed AGC. They went downhill from here.
I have a 17T150 in the collection, chassis KCS-66, the 'Colby'. If it doesn't have a better picture than my 630, then it is a very, very close second.
Reply With Quote
 



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:19 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.