Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Rectangular Screen Tube Televisions

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 02-28-2016, 10:54 AM
rca2000's Avatar
rca2000 rca2000 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: cincinnati,ohio
Posts: 2,090
DO NOT forget....all of the 19 and 20 inch MINI-NECK tubes... They do NOT hold up well at ALL...and will not take rejuv much better than a Trinitron. Now--the 13" mini-necks...not bad..pretty long-life..I suspect it is because of those tiny gun structures inside of that thin neck...

ALSO..those 1st gen GE inline larger than 10" tubes for the mid-late 70's...the one with the big neck line a portacolor tube...I have seen a LOT of bad ones of those in the day...

And speaking of the Trinitron...not sure HOW they made them this way....but they just do NOT like to take rejuv...maybe for a few DAYS or so...then they look WORSE than before...
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-28-2016, 10:57 AM
rca2000's Avatar
rca2000 rca2000 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: cincinnati,ohio
Posts: 2,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by sampson159 View Post
those rca deltas would respond well to hit or two.the last deltas in the late 70s were pretty bad though.never saw a delta zenith that was unwatchable.saw many sylvania dark matrix that hit the skids prematurally.the first 25 inch zenith inlines were fairly good.i have two spares that are very good.the zenith crts from the 80s are ok,but nowhere near as good as the deltas.had a zenith 27 inch console from 1994 that had an orion crt.it was a replacement and it looked bad!tested good but was dim in the set.watchable but not really good.as i ve said before,sad to see this happen to the best manufacture of television
Perhaps the early demise of those Sylvania CRT's is why there seem to be so FEW...Sylvania color SS sets around today !! like you said...they were N OT long-lived. Looked GREAT when they WORKED...but was more on the lifespan of a 23EGP22 tube...
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-28-2016, 11:03 AM
rca2000's Avatar
rca2000 rca2000 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: cincinnati,ohio
Posts: 2,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiotvnut View Post
I remember reading somewhere that the the factory where the tubes were made was not nearly as clean as it should have been and the contamination had a lot to do with these tubes failing.

I've worked on a few '90's Goldstar TV's that had the same crappy Zenith CRT's in them.

The main problem these tubes gave was intermittently shorting/arcing; which, would often take out the power supply and/or video output components. You could fix the chassis and the set might work for a minute, hour, day, week, or month and then the tube would arc and blow up everything that was replaced. The tubes also got weak way too quickly. In fact, I've seen brand new sets that looked like the tube was bad right out of the box. I can also tell you that the replacement tubes were no better. Generally, the only time the CRT was replaced was under warranty. Usually, when the tube failed out of warranty, the set was junked.

Starting in about '98, Zenith started using a mix of LG/Philips and RCA/Thomson bonded yoke CRT's; but, by that time, the damage had been done and in '99, LG took over Zenith totally. Personally, I've not seen a bad Philips or Thomson tube. I know of a couple of Zenith consoles from the early 2000's that are still in service. They contain non-Zenith CRT's and they still look fine.

I am keeping alive a 97 model 32" zenith console--with a GREAT tube. The cabinet is nice---and the elderly man does NOT want to get rid of it ? It makes me about $100 CLEAR..each time I work on it.. The last time it was just that little "pf cap" shorted and burned up off of the H-out. But I let him KNOW...if the tube WAS dying...I WOULD let him know....and for him to dump it. But that tube looks like NEW. I do NOT think the 32 and 35" Zenith tubes suffered like the smaller ones did.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-28-2016, 01:17 PM
radiotvnut's Avatar
radiotvnut radiotvnut is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Meridian, MS
Posts: 6,025
I don't think the 32" and 35" tubes were actually made by Zenith and that could be why they hold up so well. A friend had an early 31" Zenith digital system 3 (overpriced piece of junk) that had a Zenith-branded CRT in it; but, I never looked at it close enough to see if Zenith actually built the tube. Sometime in the mid '90's, it started going weak and I hit it with the rejuvenator. It lasted a few months and started going back down again.

Concerning Sony tubes, the earlier ones from the '70's and early '80's often won't rejuvenate at all and if they do, they won't stay up long. A few years ago, someone gave me a cosmetically mint condition 19" Sony from the early '80's (the varactor tuned model with the vertical row of buttons and a plastic woodgrain cabinet). The picture was green, with zero red and zero blue. On the tester, the green tested strong; but, the other two guns were totally dead and would not rejuvenate. I ended up junking the set. I've rejuvenated some of the later Sony tubes that held up for a little while; but, not as long as other tubes that I've hit.

Concerning the later small neck color CRT's, the local hospital had 20" Magnavox sets in all the rooms and these used that type of CRT. The local parts house always kept that CRT in stock because they were constantly replacing CRT's in those sets. I think some of those sets are still in service; but, the last I heard, they are no longer repairing them. When they fail, they are being replaced with flatscreens.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-29-2016, 12:56 AM
andy andy is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 4,004
...

Last edited by andy; 11-20-2021 at 03:17 PM.
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #21  
Old 02-29-2016, 11:23 AM
radiotvnut's Avatar
radiotvnut radiotvnut is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Meridian, MS
Posts: 6,025
It seems like the large screen Zenith B&W tubes from the '60's and '70's often got weak quickly. I think many of those tubes were actually made by Sylvania. I have a Zenith 14N22 B&W console from '69 and it's CRT is, fortunately, still very strong. I don't know if the tube in that set is a real Zenith tube or one sourced from somebody else. One day, I may open it and see what the EIA number is.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 03-05-2016, 07:23 PM
mr_fixer's Avatar
mr_fixer mr_fixer is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Tennessee USA
Posts: 605
Alright here is what I think happened to Zenith crt quality. many years ago when i first joined videokarma, "it was only Audiokarma back then". A forum poster noticed that zenith crt failure was cause by the aquadag "conductive" coating of the crt flaking off of the inside of the crt and being accelerated by static charges toward the the cathodes causing the hard shorts which killed power supplies.
About that same time period the was a documentary made about the closing of the zenith plant on melrose and there were audio interviews with former workers reminisensing about there days making crts. One of the employees commented that there were chemicals used in cleaning parts "CRT shells?" that were not allowed by the epa? osha? anymore. anyone knows coating processes are highly dependant on the prep and cleaning of the surfaces.
here is a link to the documentary called "Matter of Time- Zenith"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RSEIa3TZ6k
the comments from the former worker are at 5 min, 32 secs
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 03-05-2016, 08:10 PM
rca2000's Avatar
rca2000 rca2000 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: cincinnati,ohio
Posts: 2,090
SO....basically the "greens " KILLED ZENITH? and the SHUTTLE? and who knows WHAT else ?!!

WHY...am I NOT surprised to learn this? Maybe...because up to THAT point...Zenith had GREAT CRT's and before THEN--(Chromacolor delta days) the VERY BEST CRT"s EVER made..So...SOMETHING had to change...

ANOTHER case of another "DISprovement" from the greens--to a used-to-be GREAT product !!!
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 03-05-2016, 09:48 PM
Jon A.'s Avatar
Jon A. Jon A. is offline
Don't mess with Esther.
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Canada
Posts: 4,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by sampson159 View Post
those rca deltas would respond well to hit or two.the last deltas in the late 70s were pretty bad though.never saw a delta zenith that was unwatchable.saw many sylvania dark matrix that hit the skids prematurally.
My E48-2 Sylvania has its original dark matrix 25VFAP22 which responded very well to my Sencore's auto-restore. It's a high-hour set, lots of dirt inside when I got it and it has gone through at least two triplers.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 03-05-2016, 09:55 PM
mr_fixer's Avatar
mr_fixer mr_fixer is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Tennessee USA
Posts: 605
Quote:
Originally Posted by rca2000 View Post
SO....basically the "greens " KILLED ZENITH? and the SHUTTLE? and who knows WHAT else ?!!

WHY...am I NOT surprised to learn this? Maybe...because up to THAT point...Zenith had GREAT CRT's and before THEN--(Chromacolor delta days) the VERY BEST CRT"s EVER made..So...SOMETHING had to change...

ANOTHER case of another "DISprovement" from the greens--to a used-to-be GREAT product !!!
Well maybe the engineering department didn't do a good job finding a substitute, and i'm sure managment had to cut costs to compete in the BPC era. Sony and others didn't seem to have a problem. and they made crt tubes for many years after the mid 90's
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #26  
Old 03-06-2016, 01:58 AM
andy andy is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 4,004
...

Last edited by andy; 11-20-2021 at 03:16 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 03-06-2016, 11:20 AM
MRX37 MRX37 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,579
I'd put the cutoff date for good Zenith CRT's at 1992, because I saw a Zenith with a 1992 manufacture date and its CRT was still good and strong.

And I had a 1998 Zenith A27a23w with a good CRT as well. Compare with a 1997 Hitachi that had a Zenith CRT, that CRT was awful.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 03-06-2016, 02:19 PM
dieseljeep dieseljeep is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 7,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiotvnut View Post
It seems like the large screen Zenith B&W tubes from the '60's and '70's often got weak quickly. I think many of those tubes were actually made by Sylvania. I have a Zenith 14N22 B&W console from '69 and it's CRT is, fortunately, still very strong. I don't know if the tube in that set is a real Zenith tube or one sourced from somebody else. One day, I may open it and see what the EIA number is.
I worked on a '73 model set with that chassis, that had a Clinton CRT. It had a good picture when it worked, but it had some kind of an intermittent. You had to tap on the neck, every so often to get it to work.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 03-07-2016, 08:58 AM
DavGoodlin's Avatar
DavGoodlin DavGoodlin is offline
Motorola Minion
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: near Strasburg PA
Posts: 3,504
In the early 90s, Sony was making CRTS at the former VW plant in New Stanton, East of Pittsburgh. Between that and RCA's plant in Lancaster, many BPC sets lasted longer than ever. looking great
__________________
"When resistors increase in value, they're worthless"
-Dave G
Reply With Quote
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:04 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.