![]() |
|
#46
|
||||
|
||||
|
Normally when Zenith yoke covers of that period disintegrate the only damage is cosmetic....If those terminals are still exposed with the cover and centering rings pushed back, then remove the cover, and cut a circular piece 1.5" in diameter bigger than the yoke, with a hole in the center big enough for the neck out of a 1/32" or thicker sheet of plastic....This will prevent you from accidentally touching the yoke terminals while adjusting centering (a very painful experience!) or the rings shorting those terminals.
You could even leave the yoke be until the set is working and you are contemplating adjusting centering....It really should not be an issue.
__________________
Tom C. Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off! What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4 |
|
#47
|
|||
|
|||
|
Okay. Thanks for the input. All input is greatly appreciated.
|
|
#48
|
|||
|
|||
|
You'd almost swear that there would be a food container with the same diameter cover. Measure the original and look around the house or go to a place like Dollar Tree and look around for that size.
|
|
#49
|
|||
|
|||
|
Picture tube
I briefly looked inside the Zenith to find out what tube it has, and this is what I found.
Last edited by TUD1; 08-07-2016 at 10:20 PM. |
|
#50
|
|||
|
|||
|
Quote:
The 21AUP4 was the answer to the larger 21" CRT's at the time. The 90 degree 21" CRT's were rated at 258 square inches, where the 70 degree CRT's were 227 square inches. IIRC, the 21AUP4 was a little less than 258 sq. in. Also had a strange sweep angle of 66 Degrees. Why????.
|
| Audiokarma |
|
#51
|
|||
|
|||
|
Don't ask me! Underneath the chassis, I found a notice that said something to the effect of "NOTICE - THIS IS A REPLACEMENT RAYTHEON CRT. FILL OUT THIS WARRANTY CARD AND SEND IT TO YOUR DEALER AT ONCE." Or something like that.
|
|
#52
|
|||
|
|||
|
Quote:
The why caption, at the end of my last entry, was questioning the deflection angle of the tube in question. Just an observation on my part.
|
|
#53
|
|||
|
|||
|
Interesting that the Zenith tube went out at only 8 years old. Or was that normal for a picture tube of that era?
|
|
#54
|
|||
|
|||
|
Quote:
The newer all glass CRT's lasted a lot longer. |
|
#55
|
||||
|
||||
|
It also could have been broken by something hitting it..... My uncle's Zenith
B&W set had the screen crack on the face across one corner.... No real evidence of being hit, no identifiable point of impact. We all never figured out if it just cracked, or if someone just would not admit to hitting it.... Anyway, new tube.... This was when I was a kid, 1970's Tv was a late 60's 23" or so, really nice floor model, all knobs on right, with speaker under the knobs, light up channel changer knob, number in the middle - if anyone remembers the years for that... .
__________________
Yes you can call me "Squirrel boy" Last edited by Username1; 09-09-2015 at 07:07 AM. |
| Audiokarma |
|
#56
|
|||
|
|||
|
Quote:
Your uncle's set, was probably a B/W set, with the tension frame CRT. It was probably a stress crack, which happened occasionally. I'm sure, many of you heard of CRT's imploding, even when the TV wasn't on or no one was in the room. |
|
#57
|
||||
|
||||
|
Yes it was B&W, no safety glass over the tube...
.
__________________
Yes you can call me "Squirrel boy" |
|
#58
|
|||
|
|||
|
I applied power to the Zenith today via alligator clips. There was no picture or sound, but I heard the high pitched squeel. There was also a very pungent odor. I also cleaned all the dust out via Filter Queen.
Last edited by TUD1; 08-07-2016 at 10:20 PM. |
|
#59
|
||||
|
||||
|
Uhh, it's YOUR set & all, but I might have started replacing Caps, & testing Tubes B4 I'd done that. I HOPE you didn't "Screw the Pooch" over something SIMPLE. But That's just Me, I'm a dumb old Ignorant Backwards Redneck Hillbilly... (grin)
__________________
Benevolent Despot |
|
#60
|
|||
|
|||
|
As of right now, it's impossible for me to replace any capacitors, resistors, or do any sort of work on the TV. I have no soldering iron, no parts, no workshop, no nothing. And it's too big and heavy to take downtown to the workshop. So as far as fixing it, I'm up a creek.
|
| Audiokarma |
![]() |
|
|