Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #18  
Old 04-04-2015, 12:38 AM
Dave A's Avatar
Dave A Dave A is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: SE Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,569
I looked at my toasted 621 tonight. I pulled the cover wood piece. It is satin coated on top. The underside is just color only. So color was sprayed on both sides while it passed on a conveyor belt and a finish was sprayed on one side.

I am suspicious that somewhere after the color spray that the color stain was patiently wiped down to a woodworkers final finish. These conveyors marched on. Woodworkers everywhere can correct me with no pain to me.

Yours looks like a color was added to the final finish to save a step and different than mine. I would like to see the underside of the top panel on yours to see the color.

I would not call these 621's blonde. Toasted may be more accurate to describe the color and make RCA marketing happy. Real toasting in an oven was not part of the finish. Blonde may be better used for Heywood Wakefield furniture pieces or a Natalie Kalmus set. They look like some semi-translucent color was added to the final finish. Mine looks to be just a lighter orange spray of some unknown dye or stain and then a finish coat. I would look at aniline dyes somewhere in the process.
__________________
“Once you eliminate the impossible...whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth." Sherlock Holmes.

Last edited by Dave A; 04-04-2015 at 01:17 AM. Reason: text
Reply With Quote
 



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:17 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.