Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Rectangular Screen Tube Televisions

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 04-07-2014, 07:44 PM
VintagePC's Avatar
VintagePC VintagePC is offline
Tube bug got me 05/2010
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 535
OK, here's the effect I'm seeing (that background is a saturated blue in colour).
Also... looking at the text in the first image... is my picture tube under-focused (i.e. focal point behind the phosphor face)? The scanlines seem to expand to a larger "blip" when the brightness is turned up.

(clickable for full-size)



And another with a "real" image - visible on the hand/glove



It's a little fuzzy since my camera doesn't like the TV screen and wants to use the flash but I won't let it.

I'm pretty sure this isn't audio carrier as I experimented with tuning off-channel and I can see what old_tv_nut is talking about - especially on channels with just speech since there are naturally periods of silence and the effect will come and go with the sound.

Looks a decent match for what Bob posted earlier but not as pronounced, so if anything I suspect either IF alignment is a bit off, or the bandwidth is just barely wide enough to let some of that effect bleed through.

Last edited by VintagePC; 04-07-2014 at 07:47 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-07-2014, 11:13 PM
lnx64's Avatar
lnx64 lnx64 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: New Port Richey, FL
Posts: 1,787
I'll be honest, looks fine to me.



Ignore my horizontal issue in the pic. But yea, that's my chroma dots.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04-08-2014, 08:51 AM
old_tv_nut's Avatar
old_tv_nut old_tv_nut is offline
See yourself on Color TV!
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Rancho Sahuarita
Posts: 7,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintagePC View Post
OK, here's the effect I'm seeing (that background is a saturated blue in colour).
Also... looking at the text in the first image... is my picture tube under-focused (i.e. focal point behind the phosphor face)? The scanlines seem to expand to a larger "blip" when the brightness is turned up.

(clickable for full-size)



And another with a "real" image - visible on the hand/glove



It's a little fuzzy since my camera doesn't like the TV screen and wants to use the flash but I won't let it.

I'm pretty sure this isn't audio carrier as I experimented with tuning off-channel and I can see what old_tv_nut is talking about - especially on channels with just speech since there are naturally periods of silence and the effect will come and go with the sound.

Looks a decent match for what Bob posted earlier but not as pronounced, so if anything I suspect either IF alignment is a bit off, or the bandwidth is just barely wide enough to let some of that effect bleed through.
Yes, these are chroma dots - quite normal. As discussed, level depends on IF and video response. What you have may very well be in spec - no realignment needed. In a B&W set with a "sharpness" control, it affects them too.

Regarding focus: All electron guns make a larger spot at higher current ("bloom") to some extent. The effect is more or less non linear and somewhat different in different tube types depending on the gun design. Color tubes for a long time were run with a cyanish white point in order not to have the red current be way more than the blue and green(maybe 2:1 max - still unbalanced!), because the blooming in the red gun would produce red edges around small bright white highlights. Blooming gets worse as the cathodes age and the settings are cranked up to pull current from a larger area of the virtual cathode (the electron cloud in front of the cathode).


TV receiver guns are carefully designed to eliminate a worse effect - a large circular halo around the spot, which reduces detail contrast. You can see such halos in some oscilloscope CRTs when the beam current is turned way up. The compromise may be that you may see more of the TV CRT central spot blooming if it is driven hard, whereas the oscilloscope spot stays sharper but gets foggier.

By the way, too sharp a spot just makes the scan lines more objectionable - there is an optimum range. Tektronix once had a project to build a professional NTSC monitor with essentially high definition guns and phosphor dot pattern, and they didn't go to production because the video professionals told them it was impossible to judge video quality with those fully defined scanning lines flickering at them.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 04-23-2014, 03:44 PM
Alastair E Alastair E is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 79
I have a case of --something--like this at the moment.

I have an old Bush 405 line set Ive modded to run at the UK's 625 line, and feeding video compo direct into the video-amp stages, via a small gain stage.
--I should point out--the set is a 14" Bush TV62 monochrome set and from 1955-7 vintage, when 405 line and VHF was the only show in town.

Ive potched about with the video amp to remove an overshoot issue--that has also extended its bandwidth probably to over 4 meg according to test-card images
Our chroma sub-carrier is 4.433MHz here....

The effects I get using a Composite Video signal are the herringbone-patterning on parts of the picture of high colour content, but also have an odd vertical strip approx 1/3 picture width that can only be noticed on dark/low contrast scenes, and can be shifted sidewise by use of line-osc setting. It looks exactly like a honeycomb or 'eye pattern' a CD player laser if scoped shows...

Switching the compo video from a PAL 4.43 signal to NTSC 3.38 has the effect of changing the pitch/coarseness of the herringbone and the honeycomb Surprisingly, the set is just as happy to run at 525 line as 625 line, although its not so keen on 60Hz frame-rate, and has somewhat reduced height, and hum on picture becomes an issue. 405 line UK VHF transmissions were frame-frequency locked to 50Hz mains freq so maybe are not as tolerant of hum issues as later 625 line sets ...

Most odd! Really need to try the set out via an S-Video source of just the Luma signal, see if I can banish that darned honeycomb. The herringbone I can live with...
Sure the colour-burst is doing summit odd when it gets in there....
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 04-23-2014, 09:41 PM
old_tv_nut's Avatar
old_tv_nut old_tv_nut is offline
See yourself on Color TV!
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Rancho Sahuarita
Posts: 7,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastair E View Post
I have a case of --something--like this at the moment.

... but also have an odd vertical strip approx 1/3 picture width that can only be noticed on dark/low contrast scenes, and can be shifted sidewise by use of line-osc setting. It looks exactly like a honeycomb or 'eye pattern' a CD player laser if scoped shows...

Switching the compo video from a PAL 4.43 signal to NTSC 3.38 has the effect of changing the pitch/coarseness of the herringbone and the honeycomb Sure the colour-burst is doing summit odd when it gets in there....
Exactly - you are seeing the peaks of the colour-burst during retrace.
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #21  
Old 04-24-2014, 06:38 AM
VintagePC's Avatar
VintagePC VintagePC is offline
Tube bug got me 05/2010
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastair E View Post
I have a case of --something--like this at the moment.

I have an old Bush 405 line set Ive modded to run at the UK's 625 line, and feeding video compo direct into the video-amp stages, via a small gain stage.
--I should point out--the set is a 14" Bush TV62 monochrome set and from 1955-7 vintage, when 405 line and VHF was the only show in town.

Ive potched about with the video amp to remove an overshoot issue--that has also extended its bandwidth probably to over 4 meg according to test-card images
Our chroma sub-carrier is 4.433MHz here....

The effects I get using a Composite Video signal are the herringbone-patterning on parts of the picture of high colour content, but also have an odd vertical strip approx 1/3 picture width that can only be noticed on dark/low contrast scenes, and can be shifted sidewise by use of line-osc setting. It looks exactly like a honeycomb or 'eye pattern' a CD player laser if scoped shows...

Switching the compo video from a PAL 4.43 signal to NTSC 3.38 has the effect of changing the pitch/coarseness of the herringbone and the honeycomb Surprisingly, the set is just as happy to run at 525 line as 625 line, although its not so keen on 60Hz frame-rate, and has somewhat reduced height, and hum on picture becomes an issue. 405 line UK VHF transmissions were frame-frequency locked to 50Hz mains freq so maybe are not as tolerant of hum issues as later 625 line sets ...

Most odd! Really need to try the set out via an S-Video source of just the Luma signal, see if I can banish that darned honeycomb. The herringbone I can live with...
Sure the colour-burst is doing summit odd when it gets in there....
What is your audio carrier frequency? Someone here pointed out earlier that if you have too much bandwidth (which may be the case if you've modded yours) you can also get that to bleed into the picture - and the result was a herringbone pattern.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 04-26-2014, 11:47 AM
Alastair E Alastair E is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 79
The Audio carrier--IF I remember correctly for VHF/405 was 3.5MHz, although I may be wrong....

Ive completely disconnected the input to the video stage from the detector/IF strip, but guess there could be some sound carrier leaking in somewhere....

The Burst visible on flyback/retrace sounds very possible though--I really will have to drag the set back out and try with straight luma signal.
I keep getting diverted to do these damned new-fangled flat-screen lcd things.....
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 04-26-2014, 02:25 PM
VintagePC's Avatar
VintagePC VintagePC is offline
Tube bug got me 05/2010
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastair E View Post
The Audio carrier--IF I remember correctly for VHF/405 was 3.5MHz, although I may be wrong....

Ive completely disconnected the input to the video stage from the detector/IF strip, but guess there could be some sound carrier leaking in somewhere....

The Burst visible on flyback/retrace sounds very possible though--I really will have to drag the set back out and try with straight luma signal.
I keep getting diverted to do these damned new-fangled flat-screen lcd things.....
IIRC if you have a source with component out (R/G/B connectors, G will also provide a chroma-dot free black and white signal.
Reply With Quote
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:12 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.