Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Rectangular Screen Tube Televisions

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-05-2013, 01:47 PM
DavGoodlin's Avatar
DavGoodlin DavGoodlin is offline
Motorola Minion
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: near Strasburg PA
Posts: 3,504
Very nice and clean set there!

Was it not rare to see a polarized plug on sets until the mid 60's?

I think Philco used those same blue-hex shaft vert lin/height agc pot clusters.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-05-2013, 06:17 PM
compucat's Avatar
compucat compucat is offline
1949 Motorola 9VT1
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Suffolk, VA
Posts: 970
Is that a crack in the CRT bezel? The polystyrene used during the '60s doesn't seem to hold up well. It is a neat set, though and sure looks like a Zenith inside.
__________________
Just look at those channels whiz on by. - Fred Sanford
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-06-2013, 08:53 PM
gdunlapsd gdunlapsd is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by compucat View Post
Is that a crack in the CRT bezel? The polystyrene used during the '60s doesn't seem to hold up well. It is a neat set, though and sure looks like a Zenith inside.
Yep, it's been dropped sometime in its life (this was disclosed when I got it). No damage I could find other than the crack, though there are also a couple of small chips in the bezel which may have happened at the same time.

The guy I got it from actually found it in a thrift store - it's probably a miracle it ended up on the shelf there instead of a dumpster, being an old tube TV.

When I have it all apart I'll clean the remaining dirt out of the crack and glue it together.

Any recommendations for the best glue to use on this kind of plastic? I'm also wondering if I should use plastic filler on the chips but not sure how well that'll work out. I'll have to search the forums for plastic repair tips!

It's doing pretty well as it is so far - watching the news on it right now in fact.

Last edited by gdunlapsd; 03-06-2013 at 08:57 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-06-2013, 08:38 AM
dieseljeep dieseljeep is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 7,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavGoodlin View Post
Very nice and clean set there!

Was it not rare to see a polarized plug on sets until the mid 60's?

I think Philco used those same blue-hex shaft vert lin/height agc pot clusters.
The transformerless set makers started to use polarized power cords in the early 60's. They also started to switch the hot side of the power line at the same time. Less problem for U/L approval.
Regarding the blue hex shaft pots: They were made by Centralab and were also used in some RCA sets. They were a ceramic substrate with other resistors included.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-06-2013, 08:45 PM
gdunlapsd gdunlapsd is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavGoodlin View Post
Very nice and clean set there!

Was it not rare to see a polarized plug on sets until the mid 60's?

I think Philco used those same blue-hex shaft vert lin/height agc pot clusters.
Thanks! it was actually pretty dirty when I got it, but I cleaned it up with damp rags and AJAX, and took off the cover the used a vacuum and compressed air to get rid of most of the dust. I'm no restoration expert so sorry if this is really wrong somehow, but I've found that AJAX with bleach does a great job of cleaning up really filthy plastic. Obviously I kept the water away from the interior of the TV.

I used glasses cleaner for the plastic screen protector (works great for LCDs too). There are a couple of scratches in the screen protector that aren't too visible while watching TV, but are a little deep - it would probably require sanding to get them out, which makes me nervous; I've sanded and polished clear plastic before with good results, but nothing as large as this. There's a few spots of grunge on the inside of the protector as well, but probably just dirt which I'll clean off once I take the thing completely apart for the re-cap.

It's a non-polarized plug which I may convert to polarized when I work on it again.

Last edited by gdunlapsd; 03-06-2013 at 08:54 PM.
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:34 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.