Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Rectangular Screen Tube Televisions

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #11  
Old 04-16-2011, 05:38 PM
drh4683's Avatar
drh4683 drh4683 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 2,094
Estate Sale Find 4-16-11

Well I picked up the Magnavox. Nothing to special, the cabinet is pretty beat up, however, it is a remote control set! It was $15.00 at half off. Not sure if it works, its seen various hacks over the years.

I when to another sale in Glen Ellyn at 22W601 Alhlstrand this morning as well and found a nice '73 RCA XL-100 console in the contemporary cabinet with the chrome legs. Its a full size set with a 25" CRT. Model GR-800 A. It was in the 2nd floor family room/den. '73 is also the first year for the XL-100 design so this is first generation for this type of TV. This one has the tilt out control bin with the slider pots and a CTC-48 chassis. It works pretty well, no antenna when I tried it, just my finger on the UHF antenna screws when I tuned in channel 23 to get a faint picture. No price on it at the sale as of course nobody thought it would sell... I got it for $20.00. The cabinet is very nice quality, its all real hardwood, no particle board junk, not even on the bottom of the TV cabinet or at the base by the floor. I wasn't expecting the TV to weigh as much as it did when I was first ready to move it. It definitly has some considerable mass. With a little clean up by the controls, it'll display really well. The TV shop that sold the set most likely are the ones who cut the "1973 model year" off the model tag on back of the set considering it was sold in March of '74. They probably didn't want the buyer to see that it was last years model and probably got him to pay top dollar for it. The model tag on the chassis helps confirm this as the model year part of the tag was present... Why else would that get cut off?
One thing I found interesting is that the warranty registration sheet for the TV was ontop of the set when I found it. The old scotch tape just dried out and someone just pulled it off without damage, however, note that someone had cut the original owners name off the tag as you can tell the entire tag was taped around its rectangular perimeter at one time judging from the tape marks left behind on the back cover... For some reason, someone looked behind this TV and noticed the personal info and had to make sure it was removed.

Its a nice unique set, don't find too many of the contemporary early 70's RCA's.



















__________________
I tolerate the present by living in the past...
To see drh4683's photo page, click here
To see drh4683's youtube page, click here

Last edited by drh4683; 04-16-2011 at 05:46 PM.
Reply With Quote
 



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:53 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.