Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-26-2011, 04:35 PM
Eric H's Avatar
Eric H Eric H is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: So. Calif
Posts: 11,565
Nice early 50's Philco $75 BIN n PA

This would be a good set to restore and watch, these Philco's work very well.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Antique-Philco-T...item1e61e63035
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-26-2011, 04:51 PM
Kevin Kuehn's Avatar
Kevin Kuehn Kevin Kuehn is offline
Workin' Late Again
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: WI
Posts: 3,976
That’s the same set as I picked up a few weeks back from the recycle center, with the exception of the "U" (UHF tuner) in the model number. That tuner is mounted in the hole were my Philco badge is.





Kevin

Last edited by Kevin Kuehn; 02-26-2011 at 04:56 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-26-2011, 05:14 PM
jr_tech's Avatar
jr_tech jr_tech is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Kuehn View Post
That’s the same set as I picked up a few weeks back from the recycle center, with the exception of the "U" (UHF tuner) in the model number. That tuner is mounted in the hole were my Philco badge is.
Kevin
Cool! Before that I had never seen a '53 Philco with a gold bezel (and speculated that yours might be a re-paint) .... now another one shows up. The sets that I have seen with the Grey-green bezel are all built with cylindrical surface CRTs 17YP4, 17QP4 for example. What jug does your set have?
jr

Several pix of my '53 Philcos in this thread:
http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=248427

Last edited by jr_tech; 02-26-2011 at 05:58 PM. Reason: Add link
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-26-2011, 10:32 PM
Kevin Kuehn's Avatar
Kevin Kuehn Kevin Kuehn is offline
Workin' Late Again
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: WI
Posts: 3,976
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_tech View Post
Cool! Before that I had never seen a '53 Philco with a gold bezel (and speculated that yours might be a re-paint) .... now another one shows up. The sets that I have seen with the Grey-green bezel are all built with cylindrical surface CRTs 17YP4, 17QP4 for example. What jug does your set have?
Those are some nice Philcos you have.

Mine has a 21WP4.

Kevin
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-26-2011, 11:52 PM
Tubejunke's Avatar
Tubejunke Tubejunke is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Martinsville, VA
Posts: 1,823
I have only owned two 50's Philcos, both were 1956 models. The one that I still have actually wore out the original crt before much of any circuit component surgery needed to be performed. As far as I know, which is during most of my lifetime the Philco has only had tubes replaced and I think I have replaced one or two old paper capacitors. I replaced the crt a few years back. The set will work perfectly for as long as you want to look at it!
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #6  
Old 02-27-2011, 12:07 AM
jr_tech's Avatar
jr_tech jr_tech is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Kuehn View Post
Those are some nice Philcos you have.

Mine has a 21WP4.

Kevin
Thanks! The 21WP4 is a spherical faceplate CRT.
Eric has posted pictures of what looks to be a 21" Philco with the Grey-Green Bezel (the panther set). Wonder if it uses a Cylindrical faced tube such as a 21EP4, 21FP4, 21JP4, 21KP4.

jr
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-27-2011, 10:09 AM
Kevin Kuehn's Avatar
Kevin Kuehn Kevin Kuehn is offline
Workin' Late Again
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: WI
Posts: 3,976
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_tech View Post
Thanks! The 21WP4 is a spherical faceplate CRT.
Eric has posted pictures of what looks to be a 21" Philco with the Grey-Green Bezel (the panther set). Wonder if it uses a Cylindrical faced tube such as a 21EP4, 21FP4, 21JP4, 21KP4.

jr
I'm not sure which picture you're referring to? By spherical, I assume you mean the face of the CRT is curved both vertical and horizontally?

The 21WP4 in my set is a Philco branded tube, which I assume is original, although it tests very strong.

Here's a picture of the inside of my sets cabinet. You can see how the front panel was routed to accept the drop in UHF tuner.

Where does the 21AMP4 fit into this series of 21" CRT's, I think that is a later tube.


Kevin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Philco 002.jpg (104.4 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg Philco 005.jpg (80.6 KB, 18 views)
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-27-2011, 11:32 AM
jr_tech's Avatar
jr_tech jr_tech is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Kuehn View Post
I'm not sure which picture you're referring to? By spherical, I assume you mean the face of the CRT is curved both vertical and horizontally?

The 21WP4 in my set is a Philco branded tube, which I assume is original, although it tests very strong.
Eric has posted the picture of his lovely Philco several times, I hope he doesn't mind, I snagged this link off of another thread:



It looks as if it could be a cylindrical CRT.

Yes, a spherical CRT is curved in both directions, while the cylindrical is nearly flat vertically... perhaps a feature to control room reflections. It really appears that the 21WP4 and the gold bezel are original in your set...cool variation!


jr

Last edited by jr_tech; 02-27-2011 at 11:41 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-27-2011, 11:42 AM
Kevin Kuehn's Avatar
Kevin Kuehn Kevin Kuehn is offline
Workin' Late Again
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: WI
Posts: 3,976
That is very nice.

Kevin
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-27-2011, 12:39 PM
old_coot88 old_coot88 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,653
Those split-chassis Philcos were extraordinarily trouble-free and seemed to run forever. There was one that was completely submerged in the Great Flood of '54 in Globe, AZ . After refurbishment it ran troube-free for many years and on the original seleniums. Bill(oc)

Last edited by old_coot88; 08-08-2011 at 10:36 AM.
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #11  
Old 02-27-2011, 12:46 PM
dieseljeep dieseljeep is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 7,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Kuehn View Post
I'm not sure which picture you're referring to? By spherical, I assume you mean the face of the CRT is curved both vertical and horizontally?

The 21WP4 in my set is a Philco branded tube, which I assume is original, although it tests very strong.

Here's a picture of the inside of my sets cabinet. You can see how the front panel was routed to accept the drop in UHF tuner.

Where does the 21AMP4 fit into this series of 21" CRT's, I think that is a later tube.

Kevin
The 21AMP4 is a 90 deg. magnetically focused CRT, not used before the 1955 model year.
Reply With Quote
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:58 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.