Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Rectangular Screen Tube Televisions

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-07-2008, 12:21 PM
zenithfan1's Avatar
zenithfan1 zenithfan1 is offline
Mark
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Kenosha, Wisconsin
Posts: 4,211
About 20 in the display room, 10 in the basement and about 18 out in the garage that need a new home. I'd say at least 48 altogether because I know there are some I am forgetting. I have gotten rid of about 18 sets that are not to my interest or all that collectible. I always try to find them a good home though, I never toss them out. Sometimes you have to be picky about what takes up your space or you'll end up in the situation I was in most of the summer, tvs piled in the kitchen, hallway, living room, bedroom ect. Needless to say, the little woman was pissed. Now, the keepers are all in the tv room, not exploding all over the house. It looked like rabbits were multiplying in there, every day another set would just "appear" it was getting to the point I was sneaking them in. LOL In the spring, I will be getting out my carpentry skills again as I am going to convert my garage into a climate controlled work space and display room. The garage is filled with crap now that has to go, I've been lugging it around since the late 90s and have not used most of it in years. This stuff used to be in a storage locker that I no longer have. The garage is almost new so minimal work has to be done to the structure. I will just add some more outlets and lighting before the insulation and drywall. Then to run a gas line from the house and put in the furnace. I am also putting in an air conditioner in the back wall. This will have to wait till spring, during the winter I plan to get rid of most of the crap so I can start the minute it warms up. My girlfriend will be happy that the extra bedroom can then be given to our daughter, our son can stay where he is for a while longer. when he gets bigger, it will be time for a bigger house as I am then out of options. I am not getting rid of the tvs.
__________________
My TV page and YouTube channel
Kyocera R-661, Yamaha RX-V2200
National Panasonic SA-5800
Sansui 1000a, 1000, SAX-200, 5050, 9090DB, 881, SR-636, SC-3000, AT-20
Pioneer SX-939, ER-420, SM-B201
Motorola SK77W-2Z tube console
McIntosh MC2205, C26
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-07-2008, 01:12 PM
zenith2134's Avatar
zenith2134 zenith2134 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: UTC -4
Posts: 2,546
Cool. Keep the TVs, you have some great ones! And they're only gonna get more collectible as the years pass. I, too have been seen sneaking TV's and also speakers into my basement and garage. The guy next door always laughs when he sees me back my car into the garage area and spend 10 or 15 minutes just emptying stuff out of it. He says one day the garage'll need another level to keep up! lol.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-08-2008, 12:18 AM
Rental Limo's Avatar
Rental Limo Rental Limo is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Cudahy, Wisconsin
Posts: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenithfan1 View Post
About 20 in the display room, 10 in the basement and about 18 out in the garage that need a new home. I'd say at least 48 altogether because I know there are some I am forgetting. I have gotten rid of about 18 sets that are not to my interest or all that collectible. I always try to find them a good home though, I never toss them out. Sometimes you have to be picky about what takes up your space or you'll end up in the situation I was in most of the summer, tvs piled in the kitchen, hallway, living room, bedroom ect. Needless to say, the little woman was pissed. Now, the keepers are all in the tv room, not exploding all over the house. It looked like rabbits were multiplying in there, every day another set would just "appear" it was getting to the point I was sneaking them in. LOL In the spring, I will be getting out my carpentry skills again as I am going to convert my garage into a climate controlled work space and display room. The garage is filled with crap now that has to go, I've been lugging it around since the late 90s and have not used most of it in years. This stuff used to be in a storage locker that I no longer have. The garage is almost new so minimal work has to be done to the structure. I will just add some more outlets and lighting before the insulation and drywall. Then to run a gas line from the house and put in the furnace. I am also putting in an air conditioner in the back wall. This will have to wait till spring, during the winter I plan to get rid of most of the crap so I can start the minute it warms up. My girlfriend will be happy that the extra bedroom can then be given to our daughter, our son can stay where he is for a while longer. when he gets bigger, it will be time for a bigger house as I am then out of options. I am not getting rid of the tvs.
When i first seen the Ebay name superblonde454 i was thinking she must have lots of TV sets!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-08-2008, 12:34 AM
freakaftr8's Avatar
freakaftr8 freakaftr8 is offline
Convergence freak!
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Folsom, CA (no not in the prison)
Posts: 1,778
Good lord thats awesome!!!! I'd love to have more sets, but out here, it's all black boxes...
Yeeah that Airline set turned out to be a pretty decent set! That resides at my work too in my office..

I own a machine shop. We do work for rocket and defense and boeing commercial. It's fun but I gotta have my own stuff there to make it even better, lol. It's a family ran business. At least my sets are in the back room where I get to keep them safe and always hooked to Dish network...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenithfan1 View Post
About 20 in the display room, 10 in the basement and about 18 out in the garage that need a new home. I'd say at least 48 altogether because I know there are some I am forgetting. I have gotten rid of about 18 sets that are not to my interest or all that collectible. I always try to find them a good home though, I never toss them out. Sometimes you have to be picky about what takes up your space or you'll end up in the situation I was in most of the summer, tvs piled in the kitchen, hallway, living room, bedroom ect. Needless to say, the little woman was pissed. Now, the keepers are all in the tv room, not exploding all over the house. It looked like rabbits were multiplying in there, every day another set would just "appear" it was getting to the point I was sneaking them in. LOL In the spring, I will be getting out my carpentry skills again as I am going to convert my garage into a climate controlled work space and display room. The garage is filled with crap now that has to go, I've been lugging it around since the late 90s and have not used most of it in years. This stuff used to be in a storage locker that I no longer have. The garage is almost new so minimal work has to be done to the structure. I will just add some more outlets and lighting before the insulation and drywall. Then to run a gas line from the house and put in the furnace. I am also putting in an air conditioner in the back wall. This will have to wait till spring, during the winter I plan to get rid of most of the crap so I can start the minute it warms up. My girlfriend will be happy that the extra bedroom can then be given to our daughter, our son can stay where he is for a while longer. when he gets bigger, it will be time for a bigger house as I am then out of options. I am not getting rid of the tvs.
__________________
Honey, turn on the tv.. I'm cold!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-08-2008, 03:13 AM
colortrakker colortrakker is offline
Thinking in color...
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: the REAL Central PA
Posts: 314
I'm officially out of room. There are two in this bunch I got new, one I got NOS, and others I picked up from various places:

RCA 38" HDTV with built-in DirecTV
ProScan 27" from 1995 (that even after I sold I couldn't get rid of!)
1983 Zenith 19" System 3 with Space Phone (the NOS one)
1992 RCA 20" ColorTrak with FM radio (tested in the 1/92 issue of Video Review)
1964 Zenith 17" BW Space Command 300
25" Chromacolor II console, ca. 1978
19" Sharp with built-in Nintendo (found the same day I got the Chromacolor!)
5" GE color Spacemaker from 1988
1975 Sony KV-9200

I shouldn't need any more sets for a good long while.
__________________
Good headphones make good neighbors.
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #6  
Old 11-08-2008, 08:33 AM
drh4683's Avatar
drh4683 drh4683 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 2,094
There's a guy by me that I know who has over 200 sets, jam packed throughout the house. Hes not a member of the forum. No, its not me! I actually have 95 sets right now. My most desireable sets are Zenith table models from the late 60's-early 70s. Of my 95 sets, Id say about 30 of them are consoles.
__________________
I tolerate the present by living in the past...
To see drh4683's photo page, click here
To see drh4683's youtube page, click here
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-08-2008, 09:48 AM
jstout66 jstout66 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Ne
Posts: 1,484
I have been in the process of getting rid of my less desireable sets. I have a smaller house, so most are in the basement, which at least has a vent I keep open year round for climate control.
Upstairs I rotate out 2 sets as daily watchers, and my current ones are a
25" System 3 Space phone console and a 19" Space Phone set.

In the basement are:
1965 Zenith Roundie
1965 Sylvania Roundie
1964 RCA CTC-16
1975 23" Chromacolor 2
1697 Magnavox console
1966 21" Admiral mini console
1984 19" Sony Trinitron
1971 19" Zenith 4 tube hybrid
1970's 13" Toshiba (the one that is on a swivel base)
1977 13" Coronado (rebadged Toshiba)
1972 13" Hitachi
1970's RCA 13" CTC-53
GE Portacolor (not sure of the year)

B&W Sets are:
1949 Motorola
1949 Delco
1951 Westinghouse
1967 9" RCA Solid State
1977 Zenith 9"
1970's K-Mart 13"

3 Sets I've adopted out are:
1979 25" Magnavox console
1975 17" Sony
1979 Zenith System 3 Space Command with Zoom
1980 Zenith 25" Space Command table-top set with the factory cart

I'm sure there are a few others I've missed, but that's most of it. I rarely see any tube stuff at estate sales anymore.
The only 2 sets I regret getting rid of are my RCA CTC-31 remote table-top set (but it went to a fellow AK'er) and a RCA CTC-16 with a black Matrix 21FJ in it.
Reply With Quote
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:33 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.