![]() |
|
#46
|
||||
|
||||
|
Got it, and I PMed you back.
Arkay. |
|
#47
|
||||
|
||||
|
I own a pioneer player and have a small but growing collection of mainly Music LD that never were released on Dvd or Vhs formats.
|
|
#48
|
|||
|
|||
|
I have a rather substantial collection - about 4500-5000 disks. It was featured in an article in the NY Times back in '99 when it was a tad over 4K. I still have about 10 or so working players and occasionally will spin up something. There are some pretty obscure titles that I have on LD (Like the complete "On The Air" series by David Lynch) that are quite interesting. LD is defnintely a softer image - but there is something very special about the size of the disks and artwork. I also love the sound of a disk spinning up to speed and then the chatter as it starts to track. I will still occasionally pick up the odd disk, but it's a far cry from my heyday when I was buying by the caseload...
|
|
#49
|
||||
|
||||
|
Quote:
|
|
#50
|
|||
|
|||
|
My favorite players are my CLD-99 (Elite) and a CLD-D704.
I also have: Magnavision 8000 top loader LD-V6000 (Industrial unit that I got after it was removed from Star Tours in Walt Disney World) Zenith LDP510 CLD-1030 CLD-3030 CLD-D504 CLD-D703 (2) DVL-700 DVD/LD combo units I also have a CLD-D702 that went wonky one day and spit out some nylon bits and a spring. Never bothered to get it fixed. The CDL-99's signal feeds to a BarcoGraphics 800 CRT projector via a VSE20 line doubler and to a Sharp PGM20X DLP. The picture looks wonderful on both. I'm not even bothering to thin my collection out. I have quite a few neat titles, that while not as crisp as DVD, are terrific for the unique content... |
| Audiokarma |
|
#51
|
|||
|
|||
|
How about we ask for a laserdisc forum? I am reading about some amazing collections, and you all know about MOST of the good players. Thankfully Pioneer still maintains their parts supply, however like everything vintage it won't last forever. The forum could be used to solve problems and get some of the classic LD players back in top form. I have done my share of laserdisc repairs and would love to offer technical support to the AK community.
I have found 2 used record stores that sell used discs for $5, so it is hard not to buy all of them! I go for all the science fiction stuff. I wish there were more musical performance discs on the used markets. Who here has seen the LD-V8000?
__________________
A stereo can work and it can play. SOTA Sapphire, Lustre arm, AKG mc Yamaha C85 , C1 Carver TX-11a Kenwood L-07MmkII , Yamaha B1 + UC1 DCM Time Windows ADS 200 IMF TLS80 Revox B77 Nak 680 pioneer CLD97 |
|
#52
|
||||
|
||||
|
I'm cheap......
And that's why I still have an old RCA lazerdisk player. It's not even AC3, just plain old stereo. But when I see movies for under five bucks I can still grab them.
And the prior comment about Star Wars made me laugh. I picked up the original three Star Wars movies on Lazerdisc years ago because a guy came into a store in Louisville with the them in widescreen stereo and wanted to trade them in becaused he wanted the new AC3 version. The store would only give him 5 bucks so I waved him aside and gave him twice that. I bought the RCA lazerdisc about three months later when it was being sold as a refurb from the RCA manufacturing plant in Indianapolis. By then I had about five other lazerdiscs picked up cheap. And I just picked up three operas on lazerdisc on Ebay because no one else bid on them. I love being just a little behind the electronics curve.
__________________
Na Zdrowie! |
|
#53
|
|||
|
|||
|
The longer you wait to jump on a technology, the cheaper (and cooler) it is.
My collection is small, kinda modest. For players, I have a nice CLD-3090, a CLD-3080 that can't play CDs and has no remote, and a CLD-V2800 industrial unit for just in case. I'm at about 80 discs right now.
__________________
Good headphones make good neighbors. |
|
#54
|
||||
|
||||
|
I posted earlier in this thread that my Zenith player had quit working. Well it just as suddenly has started again. I wonder if it needed some lubrication? I worked the drawer a couple of dozen times and it seems ok.
__________________
Ed |
|
#55
|
||||
|
||||
|
I also have a couple of players. Some of the concerts have never come out on DVD's. About 400 titles and 5 players. Remember the old CED players
|
| Audiokarma |
|
#56
|
||||
|
||||
|
The longer you wait on technology, the cheaper it gets!!! I'll remember that the next time I'm at a New England auction and someone pays a grand for an Edison cylinder player...or a Nagra tape deck...or a Hasselblad camera! Seriously, though, I know what you mean. There is a great drop in prices until the "cool collectors" start buying up the stuff. I really don't see any interest in Selectavision, though. As far as laserdiscs go: I just love 'em! Just last night I had pulled out the box set of Showboat. Three versions of the film, an absolutely beautiful graphic design on the box itself, and a nice booklet. How can you go wrong with that?
|
|
#57
|
|||
|
|||
|
I've got two of them. The older one ('90 or '91) says "LaserVision" on the front and sortof works for a few minutes at a time. The newer one is a '97 which says "LaserDisc" and it works great. Although I've nothing else to compare with, I'm quite happy with the picture it produces.
|
|
#58
|
||||
|
||||
|
Interesting thread. My only experience with Laserdisc goes back to 1981 or so. I had this girlfriend over the Summer and she pulled some kind of shennanigan with her mother and was consequently grounded for two weeks. But I retained full visitation rights. Her father happened to have a Laserdisc player and a ton of discs. I was enthralled as the era of Beta was just ending. Amongst other things, we spent those two weeks watching movies on the Laserdisc player. Mostly I remember watching Cheech and Chong flicks and Xanadu which was somewhat painful except for Olivia.
Ah, Summer Daze....
__________________
Pioneer: SX-1250, RT-1020L, PL-530, P-D70, CT-F9191, H-R60, SE-205 & HPM 100s. KLH: Models 16 & 18, Tivoli Model CDP & Model 6 Speakers. |
|
#59
|
||||
|
||||
|
im so proud to say i finally hunted down and purchased my fisrt laserdisc player! its a Hitachi VIP-RX8E, came mint in hte box, but with the remote missing
![]() the first thing i noticed was the extremely high quality sound, shit sound gooooood! gonna start shopping for discs this weekend, im so excited |
|
#60
|
|||
|
|||
|
I have three LD players,the last one I found at a Thrift shop for 20.00. They did not know what it was but there was no remote(big deal I need the excersise.) I have around 400 discs and still buy them at Amoeba in Hollywood. I love the picture and sound to,I have a complete Adcom system including processor I haven't hooked up for it too.
|
| Audiokarma |
![]() |
|
|