Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Movies, shows, & programs

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #571  
Old 03-25-2008, 01:08 AM
macfreak macfreak is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Orange County, California
Posts: 20
Tonight I watched Turner's tv replay of King Solomon's Mines with Stewart Granger, Deborah Kerr and Richard Carlson. Great adventure flic, the second movie to be made by MGM on location in Aftrica. First rate adventure. Can you believe I first saw it in the theater in 1950?
__________________

Vintage: Kenwood KR-8010, Kenwood KR-9600 (2), Marantz 2385, Marantz 2500,
McIntosh MAC-1700 (2), SAE TWO R9, Sansui RZ7000, Yamaha R1000
Main: McIntosh MX130, MI-3, MC300, Sony/TRL CE595, Magnepan 1.6qr
Office: Marantz 2385, Music Hall Maverick, Monitor Audio Bronze 2
Reply With Quote
  #572  
Old 03-25-2008, 02:42 AM
Eric H's Avatar
Eric H Eric H is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: So. Calif
Posts: 11,565
Full Metal Jacket

This is the first time I've watched it, it's amazing!
Both the boot camp and the war segments are riveting.
Reply With Quote
  #573  
Old 03-25-2008, 02:50 AM
Eric H's Avatar
Eric H Eric H is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: So. Calif
Posts: 11,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltwater View Post
I am Legend... Keeps ya on the end of your seat, i figured it was gonna be like irobot, but clearly diff. Great movie!

I liked the first half but when it became more Zombie film than Sci Fi it turned me off a little, still it was enjoyable.
Reply With Quote
  #574  
Old 04-06-2008, 06:18 PM
onepixel's Avatar
onepixel onepixel is offline
.
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 154
La Misma Luna (Under the Same Moon)

I usually have to be dragged to these types of movies. My daughter insisted on going for extra credit in her AP History class.

Made me cry. A poignant and very well crafted tale of a mother and son's story of being an illegal alien and trying to reunite across the border.
Reply With Quote
  #575  
Old 04-06-2008, 06:26 PM
Andyman's Avatar
Andyman Andyman is offline
Scroungus Stereophilus
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: North of Detroit, East of Grumpy. West of Kegger
Posts: 261
"Beowulf". It was OK, but the animation takes some getting used to.
Like watching a PS3 or something
Also watched "Enchanted" with the kids which was OK too, Pretty formulaic, but hey,it's a Disney fairy tale spin-off.....
__________________
I think the world is run by "C" students - Al McGuire
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #576  
Old 04-06-2008, 06:34 PM
arrow 68 arrow 68 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Maryland
Posts: 56
The Beguiled.
Reply With Quote
  #577  
Old 04-06-2008, 06:35 PM
arrow 68 arrow 68 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Maryland
Posts: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by macfreak View Post
Tonight I watched Turner's tv replay of King Solomon's Mines with Stewart Granger, Deborah Kerr and Richard Carlson. Great adventure flic, the second movie to be made by MGM on location in Aftrica. First rate adventure. Can you believe I first saw it in the theater in 1950?
Reply With Quote
  #578  
Old 04-06-2008, 09:36 PM
shrinkboy's Avatar
shrinkboy shrinkboy is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Oak Cliff, Texas, just across the Trinity River from Big D
Posts: 135
OP-- What 'type' of movie was it?
__________________
Technics SL1700/SL1400
Marantz CDR700/Entech205.3
Onkyo TA-RW 311
TEAC x2000r/Realistic TR3000
DBX CX-2/Phase Linear 400 Mk.II
Acoustic Research AR3a
Reply With Quote
  #579  
Old 04-09-2008, 01:06 AM
Eric H's Avatar
Eric H Eric H is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: So. Calif
Posts: 11,565
There Will Be Blood

I loved this one, DD Lewis earned his Oscar here.
Reply With Quote
  #580  
Old 04-09-2008, 01:45 AM
onepixel's Avatar
onepixel onepixel is offline
.
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrinkboy View Post
OP-- What 'type' of movie was it?
Was that me? I can never tell.

Under the Same Moon, I had to look up the genre, it's Art/Foreign, Drama and Politics/Religion.

It's hard to describe. It's more than about illegal immigration, desperation and struggling to survive, it's about love, life, death and triumph of the human spirit. It filled with adventure and some funny scenes too.

If there is a little softy in you... you will love it.
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #581  
Old 04-09-2008, 06:07 AM
2DualsNotEnough's Avatar
2DualsNotEnough 2DualsNotEnough is offline
The Goodbye Look
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Phoenix,AZ
Posts: 308
I enjoyed it a lot,too.Its really just a wish fullfillment fantasy for the immigrant audience,which is ok by me.I love romantic comedies,and thats all they really are,too,when you think about it.
__________________
Current System:Cambridge Audio 640 Azur v2/NAD pp-2/,Oppo DV-970HD dvd/cd/,Luxman T-12 Tuner,Technics SL-1200 Mk5/Grado Red,ADS L810.
Reply With Quote
  #582  
Old 04-10-2008, 03:16 AM
Eric H's Avatar
Eric H Eric H is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: So. Calif
Posts: 11,565
Dewey Cox

A send up of many different music biopics.
There's a bit with "The Beatles" (Jack Black as Paul) that's funny as hell.
Reply With Quote
  #583  
Old 04-11-2008, 01:36 PM
roadie1's Avatar
roadie1 roadie1 is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Chillicothe, OH
Posts: 9
"American Gangster" and I liked it! A lot.............R1
__________________
I'm Gonzo dammit
Reply With Quote
  #584  
Old 04-11-2008, 01:42 PM
Argyle's Avatar
Argyle Argyle is offline
abstract thinker
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: East Walpole, MA
Posts: 10
Last weekend I saw "into the wild".

perfect casting, however i thought the movie sucked from a visual standpoint. also the chronology was all over the place. I'm not sure if this was how the book was written, but i found it very unnecessary and hard to follow. i think the film would have been much stronger had it been directed by someone like Ang Lee. just my .02
__________________
Primary Setup: Cambridge Audio 640Av2 Integrated Amplifier / Cambridge Audio 640Cv2 CD Player / Technics SL-1200MK5 / Sony XDR-F1HD Tuner / ADS L-780/2 Speakers
Secondary Setup: Sansui 9090DB / Technics SL-B2 / ADS L-500 Speakers
Reply With Quote
  #585  
Old 04-11-2008, 01:44 PM
WhiteSE's Avatar
WhiteSE WhiteSE is offline
Lambda Acoustics!!!
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Pocomoke, MD
Posts: 174
I just watched the movie "21"...

one word, kinda: YAAAAAAAWWWWWwwWN!!!!!!!!!
__________________
" All I know, Is That I Know Nothing".....

Mono: Fisher 500 mono rec. w/EVRegency III, Stereo: Technics SP-10 TT, McIntosh MR-55, Pilot SA-232, JBL L-96, Pilot SA-210 pre.
In reserve: EV12trxb, EV15trx
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:53 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.