Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Movies, shows, & programs

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #46  
Old 11-22-2008, 04:08 PM
diddlybopper's Avatar
diddlybopper diddlybopper is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 34
I agree with everything thats been said...I also heard there's another remake in the works of THE THING,I liked Carpenters version quite a bit.Keanu Reeves?? Look at the bright side it coulda been Jim Carey..
__________________
"A Woman Needs A Reason...A Man Just Needs A Place"
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 12-02-2008, 12:37 PM
KoolKarma KoolKarma is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 8
There are some classics that have been redone and they came out beautifully (i.e. The Thomas Crown Affair). For the most part though I am in agreement with you about this.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 12-03-2008, 12:05 PM
Carmine's Avatar
Carmine Carmine is offline
...enjoys spaghetti.
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Detroit area
Posts: 1,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toasted Almond View Post
Russ, I believe the premise was the same as the books/movies 2001 and 2010. It was okay for us to be violent down here. But as soon as we stretched our legs a little, and could get around to other planets and stuff, we became a threat to more than ourselves. That's what got us the warning.
Caught it at the end... This will be a preachy global-warming load. To quote the last line of the trailer:

"If you die the earth lives, if you live, the earth dies."

Which is funny, because I've always had the feeling the earth will survive regardless of what we do. It's living things that are at risk (if you buy this BS). It seems as if the trailer accomplished exactly the opposite of what it was supposed to do... Make me want to see the movie.

Aliens forcing the world to rotate extra-fast, under a threat of blowing it up, sounds like a better movie.
__________________
From Captain Video, 1/4/2007
"It seems that Italian people are very prone to preserve antique stuff."
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 12-03-2008, 12:50 PM
Snade's Avatar
Snade Snade is offline
humble AK member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Chicago burbs - DuPage county
Posts: 192
Read an article in the Trib about new movies released in December.

The buzz on this movie is positive. Go figure.

Maybe we should give it a chance.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 12-07-2008, 11:17 PM
Teron's Avatar
Teron Teron is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Out there somewhere --->
Posts: 33
They're going to re-make They Live.....

Might be interesting...

on topic...

The original concept art had Gort a little more modern/interesting.
Maybe a little transformers movie-ish but still interesting unique in it's own way.

Too bad they went with copy the old and screw creativity.






I'll be waiting for many reviews before I even think about a matinee viewing of this.

Hollywood disappoints too often.


Oh and technically...The Thing was a remake itself of a 1951 movie...
__________________
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #51  
Old 12-08-2008, 12:24 PM
Ashfan's Avatar
Ashfan Ashfan is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teron View Post


Oh and technically...The Thing was a remake itself of a 1951 movie...
The Carpenter remake was a lot closer to the Campbell short story "Who Goes There?" that the orginal The Thing from Another Planet was based on.
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 12-08-2008, 11:05 PM
AnalogDigit's Avatar
AnalogDigit AnalogDigit is offline
Vintage rules!
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 82
Should not remake a classic.
__________________
Main system: Pioneer SX 950 & Realistic STA 2100 Aiwa AD F770 and AD F660, Sony PS-T25 turntable, Pioneer CLD-5201 Laserdisk as a CD player, Denon DCM 360, Realistic 10- band EQ, Akai GX 4000D, Velodyne SA-101, Minimus 7, Baby Advents, Pioneer CS-88A speakers.
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 12-09-2008, 01:00 AM
dew042's Avatar
dew042 dew042 is offline
Magically delicious
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Next door.
Posts: 48
I say I'd watch just about anything with Jennifer Connelly in it.

dew.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 12-09-2008, 05:05 AM
soundmotor's Avatar
soundmotor soundmotor is offline
super modified
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Just off the shoulder of Orion
Posts: 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmine View Post

This will be a preachy global-warming load.
I hope not. I've had about enough of that.
__________________
I took a hammer to a Regency TR-4, I was 6 at the time.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 12-09-2008, 05:10 AM
soundmotor's Avatar
soundmotor soundmotor is offline
super modified
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Just off the shoulder of Orion
Posts: 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teron View Post

They're going to re-make They Live.....

Might be interesting...
It was interesting the first time because Rowdy Roddy was in it.

__________________
I took a hammer to a Regency TR-4, I was 6 at the time.
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #56  
Old 12-09-2008, 06:37 AM
markc2's Avatar
markc2 markc2 is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: a Yankee in TX
Posts: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundmotor View Post
One for me too?



Going by the trailers, I'll buy a seat. Not a remake so much but a new film carrying over some of the original film details.

The trailers -

You Tube Trailer (short)

Apple Trailer (high quality)

Unknown source, 7.5 minutes (let it load, come back later) -

Extended Trailer

That extended trailer is quite good. More than I thought possible, it actually had a sustained creepy/tense feel. I had to stop watching, I didn't want to ruin it.

I have to admit I am not a big sports fan, it looks like they take out a stadium or two. More money for schools?



Klaatu: I am leaving soon, and you will forgive me if I speak bluntly. The universe grows smaller every day, and the threat of aggression by any group, anywhere, can no longer be tolerated. There must be security for all, or no one is secure. Now, this does not mean giving up any freedom, except the freedom to act irresponsibly. Your ancestors knew this when they made laws to govern themselves and hired policemen to enforce them. We, of the other planets, have long accepted this principle. We have an organization for the mutual protection of all planets and for the complete elimination of aggression. The test of any such higher authority is, of course, the police force that supports it. For our policemen, we created a race of robots. Their function is to patrol the planets in spaceships like this one and preserve the peace. In matters of aggression, we have given them absolute power over us. This power cannot be revoked. At the first sign of violence, they act automatically against the aggressor. The penalty for provoking their action is too terrible to risk. The result is, we live in peace, without arms or armies, secure in the knowledge that we are free from aggression and war. Free to pursue more... profitable enterprises. Now, we do not pretend to have achieved perfection, but we do have a system, and it works. I came here to give you these facts. It is no concern of ours how you run your own planet, but if you threaten to extend your violence, this Earth of yours will be reduced to a burned-out cinder. Your choice is simple: join us and live in peace, or pursue your present course and face obliteration. We shall be waiting for your answer. The decision rests with you.
__________________


Quad ESL-63 USA Monitors * Nordost SPM * MC275mkV * Magnan Vi xlr * C220 * Magnan Vi * 834P Deluxe * LP12/ Ittok VII & Lyra Skala *
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 12-09-2008, 06:57 AM
FalconEddy's Avatar
FalconEddy FalconEddy is offline
Audio Mastering Engineer
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New England
Posts: 9
I loved watching 50's Sci-Fi movies on TV when I was a kid (and I still do), but TDTESS really freaked me out.

One of the best 'chill down my spine' triggers from that movie was the exceptionally creepy score; in particular, the use of two theremins and the talents of Dr Samuel Hoffman and Paul Shure.

It was brilliant!

I played the movie earlier this year (on DVD) for my 10 year old son who really enjoyed it. But, when he went to bed that night, I made that two note theremin (lead-in to the scary parts) sound vocally while tucking him in.

He said, "Dad. . .please don't do that, ok? It's kinda freakin' me out."

It's nice to know that the apple didn't fall far from the tree.



. . Falcon
__________________


. . . but, what do I know?
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 12-09-2008, 07:14 AM
ablethevoice's Avatar
ablethevoice ablethevoice is offline
boatanchors rule!
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NW FloridHell panhandle. Ivan and Dennis survivor.
Posts: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashfan View Post
The Carpenter remake was a lot closer to the Campbell short story "Who Goes There?" that the orginal The Thing from Another Planet was based on.
And Campbell's "Who Goes There?" was itself inspired/influenced by by H.P. Lovecraft's "At The Mountains Of Madness".
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 12-09-2008, 07:58 AM
Holst's Avatar
Holst Holst is offline
<Mahler and Me
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: S Crow Wing Co. Minnesota
Posts: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by ablethevoice View Post
And Campbell's "Who Goes There?" was itself inspired/influenced by by H.P. Lovecraft's "At The Mountains Of Madness".
Which was inspired Edgar Allan Poe's lone novel, The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym of Nantucket.
__________________
Main: McIntosh MC2125, McIntosh C27, Ohm Acoustics Walsh 300's, AMC CD8b, Luxman K-373, Marantz 2110, Phillips N4504 w/dbx 222/200/NX40, SOTA Moonbeam w/Shure V15II/JICO-SAS
Upstairs Mancave: Yaoin VK2100, Ohm Walsh F's, Luxman D-373, Sony ST-3950SD
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 12-09-2008, 08:44 AM
soundmotor's Avatar
soundmotor soundmotor is offline
super modified
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Just off the shoulder of Orion
Posts: 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by ablethevoice View Post

was itself inspired/influenced by by H.P. Lovecraft's "At The Mountains Of Madness".
Quite possibly one of the creepiest sci-fi tales ever penned.

__________________
I took a hammer to a Regency TR-4, I was 6 at the time.
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:20 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.