Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-22-2017, 10:58 AM
First Light: 1952-2011

Another 621

Just rescued this one from CT, with the kind assistance of my good friend Bruce Von Kurt out of Long Island. Guess the blonde will have a companion, only paid $100 for it.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0938.jpg (65.1 KB, 184 views)
Old 01-22-2017, 11:06 AM
VideoKarma Member

Nice score! If the CRT is good you paid less than it's worth alone. Looks about as nice as they come and should be an easy resto. Taking everything into to consideration, it's easily the top vintage TV of all time. A Vassos classic. Enjoy!

Last edited by decojoe67; 01-22-2017 at 01:49 PM.
Old 01-22-2017, 11:33 AM
M is for Memory

Wow, can't believe you scored that for a c-note?

Wish I could find one that nice half that cheap.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 01-22-2017, 11:46 AM
VideoKarma Member

Don't you love it?

Mine. Before:

And After:

Old 01-23-2017, 11:28 AM
Motorola Minion

Great find Nick. There can never be too many 621's. You can only go straight up with a "concours restoration" like M3 did in the picture above.
Audiokarma
Old 01-23-2017, 08:20 PM
VideoKarma Member

There is one on eBay right now in sub-par shape. It's tempting. Can anyone speak to the different screen bezel?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3225.JPG (53.4 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3226.JPG (66.2 KB, 26 views)
Old 01-23-2017, 08:54 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel1981 View Post
There is one on eBay right now in sub-par shape. It's tempting. Can anyone speak to the different screen bezel?
I've been watching that one too, it's a short drive from me and if I didn't already have one I'd probably bid on it.

I'm pretty sure the bezel is someones home made hack to get a larger viewing area, though it looks like a nice job.

The set is in pretty sad shape, it's also cobbled together from a Blonde knobs and bezel and a Mahogany or Walnut cabinet.

It doesn't look water damaged though and the CRT has some life in it, and with a cabinet like that you can feel free to "go to town" and do a full on restoration without feeling guilty about stripping a marginal original finish
Old 01-24-2017, 07:53 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Yup. I noticed that. Looks homemade.
Old 01-24-2017, 05:26 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Through the years I've noticed what appears to aftermarket masks that make a "double-D" out of the old rectangular masks of '46-'48. They just look too cleanly done to be home-brews. Maybe even some repair shops offered this customization (?)
Old 01-24-2017, 06:29 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by decojoe67 View Post
Through the years I've noticed what appears to aftermarket masks that make a "double-D" out of the old rectangular masks of '46-'48. They just look too cleanly done to be home-brews. Maybe even some repair shops offered this customization (?)
Yeah, but I don't get the advantage. Don't you lose screen area in the corners with a double D mask? It's not like you're going to have focus problems on a 7" CRT.
Audiokarma
Old 01-24-2017, 06:31 PM
VideoKarma Member

OK. Say, you have a GE 800 Series "Locomotive" or a 12" Andrea TVK-12, which both came in square or Double D masks. Which came first? The square or the Double D model?
Old 01-24-2017, 06:33 PM
VideoKarma Member

Oh, I take it back. The Double D gives you more square inches of viewing area.
Old 01-25-2017, 09:29 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Samuel,

At first glance, I thought the current eBay set was a conversion to 10 inch but looking more carefully, and after some perspective measurements, I think that someone just made a double "D" out of a normal 7" KCS 21 set.

That mask looks like it was cut from a single piece of wood, so they probably ruined the original in their first attempt. (If you ever tried to use a router on something like this, you will know why.) You also can see a new joint in the side of the cover. Frankly the conversion would have looked better had they just blackened the mask.

Another thing noticed, is those knobs look like they belong to a "blonde" (RCA called it "Toasted Mahogany") set or they were spray painted.

I've never seen an original RCA knob of that era discolor like that.

James.
Old 01-25-2017, 09:19 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyfilm View Post
Samuel,

At first glance, I thought the current eBay set was a conversion to 10 inch but looking more carefully, and after some perspective measurements, I think that someone just made a double "D" out of a normal 7" KCS 21 set.

That mask looks like it was cut from a single piece of wood, so they probably ruined the original in their first attempt. (If you ever tried to use a router on something like this, you will know why.) You also can see a new joint in the side of the cover. Frankly the conversion would have looked better had they just blackened the mask.

Another thing noticed, is those knobs look like they belong to a "blonde" (RCA called it "Toasted Mahogany") set or they were spray painted.

I've never seen an original RCA knob of that era discolor like that.

James.
Yes, those knobs are from a "toasted mahogany" 621. The funny thing is I've never seen a restored blonde model with these proper painted knobs! They usually use typical dark knobs which look terrible against the light finish.
I still believe there was an after market service to make these early TV masks "double-D" style. I've seen them done very well. An example is the RCA 8TS30 which looks factory, but is not. I can't picture owners doing this themselves:
http://www.radiomuseum.org/images/ra...j_1_407192.jpg