Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-08-2009, 10:52 PM
AK Member

Console Stereo/TV from my youth

I am trying to figure out the model of console TV stereo we had when I was a child. I asked in the tube audio area but it occurs to me that the folks here would be more likely to recognize the description.

My dad says it was Magnavox but it looked a whole lot like John's GE stereo from another thread on AK.

Ours was the same kind of two piece table affair but our fold down TT was on the right and the left side held a B&W TV. The grill cloth (front and back) on out folding speakers was more of a greenish color and the wood work on the speakers was more ornate.

Like these GE stereos the signal for the speakers went through the hinges but a jack for remote operation was also provided.

I had that unit in my basement bedroom for many years and have fond memories of watching Alfred Hitchcock and twilight zone late at night.

Any info would be appreciated.

mike
Old 06-09-2009, 12:33 AM
VideoKarma Member

I have seen GE combo's just like you describe. TV on left, phono on right and controls along the top. They have been discussed on here thru auctions and craigslist listings and there might be pictures posted on either the early b/w or rectangular tv forums. Search around and you might come up with a picture and maybe even a model number. You will have to go back quite a way to find them if there are any. These were rare so finding one in reality will be pretty difficult. Good luck!
-Tony
Old 06-09-2009, 10:54 AM
REAL TVs have TUBES!

As far as I know, only GE made a flip-down phono. Magnavox combos did come with a very similar cabinet style, with exposed radio face, etc., but their phonos were in drawers or top lift-lids. Can you remember the phono design; was it a VM with two identical-looking controls; speed at left front corner and on-reject at right front? If it was a Magnavox, it should have had all phono functions in one big knob affair at the right front corner. Also, the GE record holding arm had a big rectangular hole which fit over the spindle to balance the records, whereas the Magnavox had a 2-prong curved fork which swung around the spindle. ***I believe the Garrard turntable shown in the photo above is not the original.

Charles
Old 06-09-2009, 12:03 PM
VideoKarma Member

RCA made 'em, and Lafayette sold flip-down portables (who knows who actually made them, though).
Old 06-09-2009, 03:37 PM
VideoKarma Member

General Electric offered Garrard and VM changers for that type set. I had the stereo in the picture with the VM changer and the big curved tone arm. My Custom Decorator from the early '60s has the same VM on the right and a tv on the left.
Audiokarma
Old 06-09-2009, 04:22 PM
AK Member

I wish I could remember the TT. Unfortunately the only TT I remember was a dual but I think that was a stand alone. As best I can remember though I think it was a more modern look like the Garrard above rather than the VOM look but I am really fuzzy on that. As I recall the radio controls and style was identical to the picture I linked above right down to the chrome strips across the top and bottom.

mike
Old 06-09-2009, 05:18 PM
VideoKarma Member

Magnasonic66, do you have a picture of the Custom Decorator combo mentioned above? This might be the one he's thinking about.
-Tony
Old 06-09-2009, 08:25 PM
AK Member

Bingo! Custom Decorator it is. Wow, thanks... Ours was a darkish stained wood color rather than the blonde shown here but this is the one that I found on the net!

mike
Old 06-09-2009, 08:58 PM
console lover

The custom turntable designed for the vacuumatic, gotta love it.

On some models a bit of flex hose poked out of the arm just behind the 12" record sensor and attached to a small vacuum motor. At the front of the arm the wide part accommodated the suction head and brush.
Old 06-13-2009, 01:29 PM
VideoKarma Member

That's my Custom Decorator! It's in the back room until I get the house fixed. The previous owner painted the white French Provincial cabinet with wall paint. It has French designed sculpting on the front of the speakers. Here's another shot of it. Record player and amp works, the tv lights up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg General Electric Custom Decorator 012.jpg (132.0 KB, 28 views)
Audiokarma
Old 06-13-2009, 02:31 PM
AK Member

Cool, do you have a picture of the back side of the speakers (the part that is visible when closed)? That fancy woodwork was one of the best features visually.

mike
Old 06-13-2009, 04:52 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hi Mike, I will work on getting a couple of pictures soon. In the meantime, I can stick an ad with one of the other variations. Mine didn't have any legs with it, but had a homemade cabinet full of old record albums I didn't need or want. It too had the wall paint treatment. Knowing how scarce these were, I grabbed it, I had passed up a walnut finished Contemporary model from an antique mall, and wasn't taking any more chances.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ge63custdecor.jpg (45.5 KB, 45 views)
Old 06-14-2009, 08:47 AM
VideoKarma Member

Here's the best shot I could get in tight quarters, of the speaker front, it is solid wood, not the molded paneling like later sets. The cabinet was made by William Tell of Pennsylvania.
Old 06-14-2009, 08:53 AM
VideoKarma Member

I am trying to post the picture of the white GE speaker:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SANY0074.JPG (116.6 KB, 21 views)
Old 06-14-2009, 05:16 PM
AK Member

Thanks, ours was more like the ones in the ad as I recall, pretty symmetrical. The design on yours is quite interesting. I bet it looks nice with the proper finish.

mike
Audiokarma