Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-30-2009, 10:14 PM
VideoKarma Member

old Silvertone worth restoration?

This old beast has been in storage forever. An old Silvertone Suburbanite 24" b/w console in the ever popular wheat color!!!
Powers right up with a nice bright full screen raster, but has a problem with vertical hold. Sound available on all 12 channels.
Cabinet is dirty but should clean up easily.
Can not find a date on the monster, but the original manilla envelope containing the manual and schematic is still with the set. I can only find a copyright date of 1958, which looks about right, given the sets looks and VHF only tuner.
Looks like it is missing a trim piece on top of the safety glass, and rod spreaders between the legs, but otherwise complete.
I guess its only use would be to stick a vcr on top of the set and watch vintage b/w movies.

Any thoughts???
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0176.jpg (79.1 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0177.jpg (90.2 KB, 57 views)
Old 04-30-2009, 10:31 PM
VideoKarma Member

Interesting set. I like that tuner.

Voting yes, restore it.
Old 04-30-2009, 10:40 PM
VideoKarma Member

Probably a simple restoration-change out a few caps and roll with it. By your comment, I guess you don't like watching color shows in b/w? This set will put out a great picture with a converter box.
Old 04-30-2009, 10:55 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hello Bryan,

You are right, I like color, especially "vintage" color, mid seventies and backward. Seems the phosphor used back then had a more pleasing hue!! I really like watching my James Bond movies on VHS on that '75 xl100 I recently refurbed. But there is nothing wrong with b/w. I drove last fall 700 miles to Batavia to pick up a '63 Zenith b/w console that drh4683 had for sale. I need to post photos of that some day. It is pretty!! I have looked forever trying to find a late 60's/early seventies RCA b/w console we had when I was a kid. I'd sure like to find one of them, but I suspect that they all have ended up in landfills.

BTW I missed a Silvertone UHF converter in the same wheat color on ebay a few months back. Wish I had it to go with the set.

You are correct I think re: restoration. Should be pretty simple, especially given the original schematic is with the set.
Old 05-01-2009, 01:01 AM
VideoKarma Member

I say go for it. I love this style of tv sets!
-Tony
Audiokarma
Old 05-01-2009, 07:37 AM
Repro Battery Builder

If you browse through the 1958 Sears catalog at wishbookweb.com, you'll find some TV's similar to yours. So, best guess is your set was made between 1957 and 1960.

Bill