Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Rectangular Screen Tube Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-14-2009, 12:36 AM
REAL TVs have TUBES!

Wink Sony Indextron SCORE!!!!!!

I just had the find of the year! I saw this Sony Indextron on eBay, and never thought in a million years I'd win it for what I bid... I DID!!!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=310125196063

Then, I had a lot of trouble believing that the set could actually still be in working order, as there are only a couple of them known to exist still working. I got it today, and it is indeed brand-new. As any of us Sony enthusiasts know, the gray plastic finish around the control buttons gets shiny almost right away with any use. Not on this set! The factory kinks are still in the AC adaptor cord too. I gingerly plugged it in, and pressed the POWER button...... In a couple seconds, it came to life! It's such a weird picture in that if you blink, you see either all red, all green, or all blue. That's because of the fact that it's the Indextron, and not a standard color tube. (the tech aspects of the Indextron tube were discussed by other AKers in another thread).

This was a GREAT birthday present to myself!!!!!!!

Charles

Old 03-14-2009, 12:44 AM
<-- sucker for old sets.

that is way cool, Charles! It's such a rarity to see one working, especially in such wonderful condition with box and paperwork!

Congratulations!
Old 03-14-2009, 07:49 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Awrite, Charles ! What is the deal w/these things ? Why do they NOT want to work ? Izzit something to do w/the funky CRT, or something else ?
Old 03-14-2009, 08:11 AM
No So Cheap Anymore

wow, so what would something like this in this condition normally go for? I never knew there was such a big collectability for the indextron. It looks like it was literally bought from the factory yesterday. Congrats!
Old 03-14-2009, 08:39 AM
Sony afficionado

Cool thing, don't see those too often, let alone working ones. Enjoy yours!
Old 03-14-2009, 10:34 AM
VideoKarma Member

Neat! Works great, huh? Never had the pleasure of owning one. Happy birthday, BTW!
Old 03-14-2009, 11:12 AM
VideoKarma Member

Last edited by andy; 12-06-2021 at 11:08 AM.
Old 03-14-2009, 11:48 AM
REAL TVs have TUBES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy View Post
I would open it up and check for leaking caps before you run it too much. Every single one I've seen the inside of (including working ones) has been FULL of puking electrolytics.
That's good advice... I remember the Mitsubishi Picture-In-Picture module fiasco with the leaky electrolytics and eroded traces... This set DOES have the same telltale urine odor, which tells me indeed there are leaky caps. I bet the caps that Sony and Mitsubishi bought came from the same place. Same years, appx.

Quote:
I don't know why these sets are considered so amazing when they are still working.
I think it's like a Cadillac Diesel from the early 80s... They're known not to run; never did run for more than a few thousand miles on each new engine, and when one comes clattering down the street in 2009, everybody's jaws drop

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiohki View Post
wow, so what would something like this in this condition normally go for? I never knew there was such a big collectability for the indextron. It looks like it was literally bought from the factory yesterday. Congrats!
Thanks! I can't be sure on today's value, but I sold one in very clean shape, not working, but it did have the original box, about 8 years ago for a similar price to this one. The last working one, I recall, went for over $500. But with the economy, I'm sure these, and all other collectible TVs, have cooled off. Part of the mystique is that I believe I read that Sony cancelled the warranty on these, and offered a buyback. So I bet most of them went back to Sony.

Charles

Last edited by kx250rider; 03-14-2009 at 11:52 AM.
Old 03-14-2009, 01:22 PM
VideoKarma Member

(OFF TOPIC)
I do not know about the Indextron, but I can tell you stories about the GM diesels from the early 1980s. Both may father-in-law and a co-worker of mine had one. One had immaculate care, while the other was abused. Both engines threw rods at between 45 and 50 thousand miles.
Old 03-14-2009, 02:26 PM
VideoKarma Member

Last edited by andy; 12-06-2021 at 11:09 AM.
Audiokarma
Old 03-15-2009, 12:12 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
I would open it up and check for leaking caps before you run it too much. Every single one I've seen the inside of (including working ones) has been FULL of puking electrolytics.

I don't know why these sets are considered so amazing when they are still working. I've personally worked on 5 or 6, and all of them just needed a basic re-cap plus some board clean up. I had to fix one open circuit board trace on one of them. I've heard of one set than needed a hard to find IC because some of the pins had corroded away, but that's the exception.
Wow, nice find. I paid like almost $800 for it used.

Andy fixed mines and I agree with him. Even though it's brand new, it reserves the right to leak caps without warning.

Last edited by waltchan; 03-15-2009 at 12:19 AM.
Old 03-15-2009, 01:10 AM
VideoKarma Member

The leaky caps can short and blow the unobtainable ASIC that controls the tube...

I agree, time to be proactive and recap the thing.
Old 03-20-2009, 06:47 AM
VideoKarma Member

Hello Charles,

Congratulations on the Indextron, & Welcome! to the club of Beam-Index CRT users.

I have the unobtainium full Indextron service manual and schematics. In your mailbox ASAP if you want it.

A few pictures:
- Dead caps, Andy's picture (Thanks!) all the purple ones leak
- Caps changed on ONE of my Indextrons, SAME quantity on unit #2.
- The Indextron CRT seen from the gun side. Note how simple the gun structure
appears.
- Rear view of the KVX-370, open.
- ONE Gun = PERFECT convergence! *

*see this pix & more here:

http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=120906

Best Regards

jhalphen
Paris/France

Last edited by jhalphen; 03-20-2009 at 06:51 AM.
Old 03-14-2009, 07:59 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kx250rider View Post
It's such a weird picture in that if you blink, you see either all red, all green, or all blue. That's because of the fact that it's the Indextron, and not a standard color tube. (the tech aspects of the Indextron tube were discussed by other AKers in another thread).
I don't understand this part, because elsewhere it says the colors were switched as the beam scanned across the stripes, which would be much too fast for eye-blinks to catch only one color.

Anyone got an idea on this?
Old 03-14-2009, 09:23 PM
VideoKarma Member

Last edited by andy; 12-06-2021 at 11:09 AM.
Audiokarma