Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Expeditions & Passions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-03-2016, 05:10 AM
colectorad colectorad is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Twin Cities area
Posts: 93
Mr. Coffee SKX23 Repair

After 5 short years, my uncle's coffee maker activated its' "planned obsolescence" feature by venting a 220uF 35V capacitor (C2), resulting in the burning open of a neighboring resistor (R3):





Unfortunately, there's no schematic available for the "CG7-LCD-DRV" power board that this and various other coffee makers use. Does anyone have a comparable working unit to confirm the resistor value?
__________________
I'm in need of service manuals for the following:

Magnavox 19C315-CC, Emerson ECT-1300A (TM0110E), Sears 401.50300900
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-03-2016, 10:51 AM
dieseljeep dieseljeep is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 5,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by colectorad View Post
After 5 short years, my uncle's coffee maker activated its' "planned obsolescence" feature by venting a 220uF 35V capacitor (C2), resulting in the burning open of a neighboring resistor (R3):





Unfortunately, there's no schematic available for the "CG7-LCD-DRV" power board that this and various other coffee makers use. Does anyone have a comparable working unit to confirm the resistor value?
Most of the time, you can't even get those things repaired. If they do, they generally just replace the defective part.
I thought, I have a Mr. Coffee with the timer board, but it turns out to be a Black & Decker Smart Brew. I'm going to take it apart and see if the board is the same and get back to you.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-03-2016, 11:50 AM
madlabs madlabs is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 249
Looks like a brown, brown, brown to me! ;-)

Does the resistor measure open? If not, what is the reading?

Can you follow out the schematic? Maybe we can do some guess work, get within a range. Then maybe try a pot and see if it works OK.

I've had two timers blow on coffee pots, so I made a timer and got a dumb coffee pot. Of course, the planned obsolescence feature was smarter than me and the dang power switch gave it up. No defeating the planned obsolescence feature! I bypassed the switch and have to use the timer I made to turn it off.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-03-2016, 01:05 PM
Ed in Tx's Avatar
Ed in Tx Ed in Tx is offline
Zenith Walton My 1st TV
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: DFW
Posts: 1,164
This is why I won't buy a coffee maker with a timer in it.

I have a Cuisinart no timer model they quit making over 10 years ago, and a couple more makers for backup - Hamilton Beach 49316 no timer units Fry's runs on sale sometimes for $10 or so. They all use the #4 cone type filter I much prefer.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-03-2016, 07:38 PM
dieseljeep dieseljeep is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 5,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
Most of the time, you can't even get those things repaired. If they do, they generally just replace the defective part.
I thought, I have a Mr. Coffee with the timer board, but it turns out to be a Black & Decker Smart Brew. I'm going to take it apart and see if the board is the same and get back to you.
I took apart the one, I was referring to. It turns out to be totally different. This one even has a transformer power supply. This one has a transformer, a separate power supply and relay board and control board with buttons for the setting functions and LED display.
Probably the best thing is to hit the thrifts for a simular unit. A lot of times, they get donated when the caraffe gets broken.
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #6  
Old 08-08-2016, 05:30 AM
colectorad colectorad is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Twin Cities area
Posts: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by madlabs View Post
Does the resistor measure open? If not, what is the reading?
Yes. "Burn[ed] open".

Quote:
Originally Posted by madlabs View Post
Can you follow out the schematic? Maybe we can do some guess work, get within a range. Then maybe try a pot and see if it works OK.
Again, "there's no schematic". The trouble isn't getting it to work, it's getting it to keep working without a domino effect failure from using the wrong resistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
Probably the best thing is to hit the thrifts for a simular unit. A lot of times, they get donated when the caraffe gets broken.
Unfortunately, it works the exact opposite around here: there's a shelf full of carafes where coffee makers would normally be. In any case, buying another coffee maker would defeat the point of fixing this one.
__________________
I'm in need of service manuals for the following:

Magnavox 19C315-CC, Emerson ECT-1300A (TM0110E), Sears 401.50300900
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-08-2016, 10:36 AM
dieseljeep dieseljeep is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 5,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by colectorad View Post
Yes. "Burn[ed] open".



Again, "there's no schematic". The trouble isn't getting it to work, it's getting it to keep working without a domino effect failure from using the wrong resistance.



Unfortunately, it works the exact opposite around here: there's a shelf full of carafes where coffee makers would normally be. In any case, buying another coffee maker would defeat the point of fixing this one.
I was thinking about taking apart the good one and finding the resistor value.
The one thrift, I generally go to, has a shelf of carafes, as well.
From year to year, they seem to change the dimensions of the carafes, so many times they don't seem to fit right. Even with the same make.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-08-2016, 03:26 PM
Username1's Avatar
Username1 Username1 is offline
Not sure how I got here.
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Orange County NY
Posts: 3,466
measure the dam thing center to both ends, one way there should be a reading,
then double it. Even if you have to cut it in half with a dremel & cutting wheel.

My Mr. Coffee died of hardening of it's single artery. I got now the wife's older
procter-silex, no timers on either one, I herd about them and fires back in the
80's so I'm chicken of them forever now....

I run vinegar through them with each use now to keep calcium from building up.
The old one leaked and the calcium build up made it take 40 minutes to make
a single pot of coffee...... Built up over time so it was not noticeable

But now at about 4 minutes to make a pot, wow how did I not notice it
before.....

""" After 5 short years, my uncle's coffee maker activated its' "planned
obsolescence" feature ....... """ Priceless ! !

Get a schematic from http://oemplannedobsolescencedevices...ers/index.html

.

.
__________________
Yes you can call me "Squirrel boy"

Last edited by Username1; 08-08-2016 at 03:38 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-13-2016, 05:59 AM
colectorad colectorad is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Twin Cities area
Posts: 93
^That did the trick: it's a 1.2K Ohm resistor!

I've installed the closest I have, a 1.5K (2W), and the unit is up and running. After several passes there have been no issues.

Thanks for the contributions, everyone!
__________________
I'm in need of service manuals for the following:

Magnavox 19C315-CC, Emerson ECT-1300A (TM0110E), Sears 401.50300900
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-13-2016, 10:45 AM
dieseljeep dieseljeep is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 5,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by colectorad View Post
^That did the trick: it's a 1.2K Ohm resistor!

I've installed the closest I have, a 1.5K (2W), and the unit is up and running. After several passes there have been no issues.

Thanks for the contributions, everyone!
I never had any luck with checking carbon film resistors that way, but most of them were smaller wattages. Carbon and wirewound, yes!
Good work, a job well done!
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #11  
Old 08-13-2016, 11:09 AM
dieseljeep dieseljeep is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 5,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Username1 View Post
measure the dam thing center to both ends, one way there should be a reading,
then double it. Even if you have to cut it in half with a dremel & cutting wheel.

My Mr. Coffee died of hardening of it's single artery. I got now the wife's older
procter-silex, no timers on either one, I herd about them and fires back in the
80's so I'm chicken of them forever now....

I run vinegar through them with each use now to keep calcium from building up.
The old one leaked and the calcium build up made it take 40 minutes to make
a single pot of coffee...... Built up over time so it was not noticeable

But now at about 4 minutes to make a pot, wow how did I not notice it
before.....

""" After 5 short years, my uncle's coffee maker activated its' "planned
obsolescence" feature ....... """ Priceless ! !

Get a schematic from http://oemplannedobsolescencedevices...ers/index.html

.

.
I drink at least four cups and at times, seven cups a day. I have a large mug and keep refilling it. I have a commercial grade Mr. Coffee, four cup with auto shutoff and even a grounding line cord, in like new condition. There was a large amount of them donated to the thrift, when the local Motor Inn, must've switched to Keurigs.
The things, literally flew off the shelf for $2.99 each, I bought two.
My home has extremely hard water, furnished by a community well. I run my coffee water through a Brita pitcher to take out most of the hardness.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:18 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
ęCopyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.