Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Transistor Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #91  
Old 04-18-2012, 05:24 PM
radiodayz's Avatar
radiodayz radiodayz is offline
radiodayz
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Seattle WA USA
Posts: 111
Nice! I have an old Panasonic portable AM/SW turntable, but not in nearly as good shape as this, looks like it's been through a war. One day I'll get around to restoring it. Yours is the only other one I've ever seen.
__________________
I have one of those around here, somewhere
Reply With Quote
  #92  
Old 04-18-2012, 07:46 PM
1groovydude 1groovydude is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by noveltyradio.co View Post
absolutely love that JVC, its gorgeous..great find!!
Thanks. I kinda thought the same thing. Didn't know what I had. There's no info on the net at all.
Reply With Quote
  #93  
Old 11-11-2012, 07:56 PM
Celt's Avatar
Celt Celt is offline
Peanut Head
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Paragould, Arkansas
Posts: 1,662
Thought I'd give this old thread a bump. This thread originated over @ AK and most of the images were lost in the move to here.
If your images are missing and you still have them available, please load them again to your post. Thanks!
__________________

Let me live in the house beside the road and be a friend to man.
Reply With Quote
  #94  
Old 11-11-2012, 08:34 PM
Sandy G's Avatar
Sandy G Sandy G is offline
Spiteful Old Cuss
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Rogersville, Tennessee
Posts: 9,077
ONE OF THESE DAYS,I MIGHT figger out how to run a digicam..Maybe. I REALLY DO have all the Schtuff I go on & on about..Believe it or Nutz.. I lie like a rug about almost EVERYTHING except TVs 'n' Radios..THEM, I'm Serious about..(grin)
__________________
Benevolent Despot
Reply With Quote
  #95  
Old 04-01-2014, 03:33 PM
wa2ise's Avatar
wa2ise wa2ise is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: USA
Posts: 3,106

AM-FM-police and fire.

AM-FM- pair of SW bands

A real SW radio, Sony CRF230B
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ge7-2910a.jpg (58.4 KB, 73 views)
__________________
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #96  
Old 03-13-2015, 06:09 PM
Vintv49's Avatar
Vintv49 Vintv49 is offline
PhilB
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Presently N.Fulton county
Posts: 27
This is my Sony CRF-5100. It was perfect until a few days ago, when I fried it, thinking I could use a non-standard cord (shown in photos). I already punished myself enough for doing this most stupid thing, but I thought(here we go…)that I used this electric cord before. But it has been months since I fired it up. Now, it's dead. It was perfect. What to do - thinking of just buying another as I can't repair it, and the cost to repair is probably as much or more as buying another. Older here didn't yield wiser. Anyways - nice to see all the other radios here.

Mine is at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/413857...7648929352304/
Reply With Quote
  #97  
Old 03-13-2015, 06:53 PM
Sandy G's Avatar
Sandy G Sandy G is offline
Spiteful Old Cuss
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Rogersville, Tennessee
Posts: 9,077
The CRF-230 I got for Xmas 1970, & IT started me down the long road of SWL listening, & just being a Radio Nut in general. Still have it, Terry's been thru it once, I need to fire it up more often than I do... Served me VERY well thru boarding school & college. Almost got me into a fight, it apparently has a very strong local oscillator, a football player who lived across the hall claimed MY radio would "Shut his radio Down".. . He had a no-name tire store type brand special, had lots of lights, sounded like @zz...
__________________
Benevolent Despot
Reply With Quote
  #98  
Old 03-13-2015, 07:51 PM
Vintv49's Avatar
Vintv49 Vintv49 is offline
PhilB
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Presently N.Fulton county
Posts: 27
Sandy G - cool radio, but where's the photo? I looked it up on YouTube - someone has one. Really a nice radio! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXjrzLxB3vw
Reply With Quote
  #99  
Old 04-25-2018, 06:02 PM
zombie1210's Avatar
zombie1210 zombie1210 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 58
Panasonic RF-2200

Reply With Quote
  #100  
Old 04-26-2018, 10:16 PM
Dude111 Dude111 is offline
Analogue is Awesome
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,823
Nice radios everyone
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #101  
Old 04-27-2018, 05:20 AM
broadcaster broadcaster is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 134
Here is a Zenith 3000-1, from 1966. The very best in service and performance!
Reply With Quote
  #102  
Old 05-05-2018, 08:57 PM
Jeffhs's Avatar
Jeffhs Jeffhs is offline
<----Zenith C845
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Fairport Harbor, Ohio (near Lake Erie)
Posts: 3,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintv49 View Post
This is my Sony CRF-5100. It was perfect until a few days ago, when I fried it, thinking I could use a non-standard cord (shown in photos). I already punished myself enough for doing this most stupid thing, but I thought(here we go…)that I used this electric cord before. But it has been months since I fired it up. Now, it's dead. It was perfect. What to do - thinking of just buying another as I can't repair it, and the cost to repair is probably as much or more as buying another. Older here didn't yield wiser. Anyways - nice to see all the other radios here.

Mine is at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/413857...7648929352304/
OUCH! Sorry to hear of your bad experience with your CRF-5100. However, I wonder. Are you sure the radio is permanently damaged? How would the use of an incorrect power cord "fry" the set? I would look inside the radio, at the chassis, to see if there isn't a fuse in there that blew when you connected the non-standard AC cord. I would think the CRF-5100, like most AC/DC transistor multiband portables, would be designed to use literally any type of power cord, as long as that cord would fit the AC input socket on the back of the radio. (I have a Zenith R-70 AM/FM portable with an AC input socket on the back of the cabinet that will accept the coiled cord from my electric razor; said cord is a perfect fit, and of course it works, every bit as well as the stock AC cord would.)

I looked at the photos of your CRF-5100 and saw the type of power cord the radio is designed to use. I didn't see anything special about it, unless the stock AC cord had fuses or special circuitry to protect the radio from power surges, etc. I cannot otherwise imagine how using a so-called "non-standard" AC cord could damage the radio beyond repair.

Your Sony CRF-5100 looks very similar in appearance to Zenith's model 3000-1 Trans-Oceanic; same rotating drum dial linked to the band switch and all. The only difference between the two sets that I could see, aside from the volume, squelch, etc. controls located below the tuning dial, was the tuning meter, which the Zenith TO doesn't have, and of course the brand. Was the design of the CRF-5100 a deliberate take-off on the Zenith 3000-1? Doesn't seem likely, as I am sure Zenith had no affiliation, association, etc. with Sony at any time during the former company's existence (Zenith closed its Chicago factories and transferred its remaining operations to Korea some time in the 1990s, leaving only its business offices in Lincolnshire, Illinois, outside Chicago).
__________________
Jeff, WB8NHV

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.

Last edited by Jeffhs; 05-05-2018 at 09:27 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #103  
Old 05-06-2018, 11:00 AM
dieseljeep dieseljeep is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 6,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffhs View Post
OUCH! Sorry to hear of your bad experience with your CRF-5100. However, I wonder. Are you sure the radio is permanently damaged? How would the use of an incorrect power cord "fry" the set? I would look inside the radio, at the chassis, to see if there isn't a fuse in there that blew when you connected the non-standard AC cord. I would think the CRF-5100, like most AC/DC transistor multiband portables, would be designed to use literally any type of power cord, as long as that cord would fit the AC input socket on the back of the radio. (I have a Zenith R-70 AM/FM portable with an AC input socket on the back of the cabinet that will accept the coiled cord from my electric razor; said cord is a perfect fit, and of course it works, every bit as well as the stock AC cord would.)

I looked at the photos of your CRF-5100 and saw the type of power cord the radio is designed to use. I didn't see anything special about it, unless the stock AC cord had fuses or special circuitry to protect the radio from power surges, etc. I cannot otherwise imagine how using a so-called "non-standard" AC cord could damage the radio beyond repair.

Your Sony CRF-5100 looks very similar in appearance to Zenith's model 3000-1 Trans-Oceanic; same rotating drum dial linked to the band switch and all. The only difference between the two sets that I could see, aside from the volume, squelch, etc. controls located below the tuning dial, was the tuning meter, which the Zenith TO doesn't have, and of course the brand. Was the design of the CRF-5100 a deliberate take-off on the Zenith 3000-1? Doesn't seem likely, as I am sure Zenith had no affiliation, association, etc. with Sony at any time during the former company's existence (Zenith closed its Chicago factories and transferred its remaining operations to Korea some time in the 1990s, leaving only its business offices in Lincolnshire, Illinois, outside Chicago).
AFAIK, the only affiliation Zenith had with Sony was when Zenith started selling VCR's, they were re-badged Sony Betas.
Reply With Quote
  #104  
Old 05-06-2018, 12:57 PM
jr_tech's Avatar
jr_tech jr_tech is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,787
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffhs View Post

How would the use of an incorrect power cord "fry" the set? I would look inside the radio, at the chassis, to see if there isn't a fuse in there that blew when you connected the non-standard AC cord.

I looked at the photos of your CRF-5100 and saw the type of power cord the radio is designed to use. I didn't see anything special about it, unless the stock AC cord had fuses or special circuitry to protect the radio from power surges, etc. I cannot otherwise imagine how using a so-called "non-standard" AC cord could damage the radio beyond repair.
The receptacle on the back of the Sony radio has 4 pins, 2 for AC power and 2 for 12 volt power from a car cord. The pins have different spacing and the plug on the Sony cord is "keyed" so that it can't be plugged in incorrectly. If a common 2 connector cord was used, it would be possible to apply full AC line voltage to the 12 volt input (which is usually not fused), with disastrous results.

jr
Reply With Quote
  #105  
Old 05-06-2018, 01:14 PM
Electronic M's Avatar
Electronic M Electronic M is offline
M is for Memory
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pewaukee/Delafield Wi
Posts: 9,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
AFAIK, the only affiliation Zenith had with Sony was when Zenith started selling VCR's, they were re-badged Sony Betas.
Zenith also sold rebadged sony portable TVs with that unique lollipop CRT, and possibly other Sony made products.
__________________
Tom C.

What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4

Reading between the scan lines since the mid 2000's.
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:55 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
ęCopyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.