View Full Version : 13" RCA Color (tube set)

jstout66
02-04-2007, 08:18 AM
I may be getting an RCA tubed portable 13" set today. (color). Saw it at an estate sale Friday, and today is 1/2 off day, so will see if it's still there.
I don't really "dig" the set, but haven't seen a tube set at a sale in ages, so may as well "save" it.
It's an early 70's model. Very "plain Jane" looking. Has the small VHF/UHF knobs, with the on/off/volume underneath them. Bottom 3 controls are color/brightness/tint.
I don't remember these being the best sets. I think loaded with 5GH8's. Anyway... would you guys get it or pass? The only reason I'm thinking about it is because it has tubes.

drh4683
02-04-2007, 09:20 AM
Definitly save. I had one that fits that description. I think it was a CTC51, really beat up though. Hopefully its still there. Hope you can grab it. Look forward to seeing the pics. Id be interested if its not the kind of set you like.

jstout66
02-04-2007, 12:40 PM
Hey Doug. Went there and got it, and am glad you saw this post cause I was gonna ask you some stuff about it.
It works fine and I think it's a 14" as the pix tube is a 14V something. It's Model number ES334W I took the back off, but the chassis number is too faded to read. I think it's a CTC-51A, but am hoping you can tell me from the model number. The picture tube has a 1974 code date. This set was on top of a dresser in the master bedroom. I doubt its seen much use, as it is really clean inside and out. The color & pix is fantastic. I forgot how good of a picture these put out. They also had the solid state version of the "porta-color" Focus was a little weak on that one and I passed on it as I am not a big fan of GE.

drh4683
02-04-2007, 05:00 PM
Glad you were able to save it. Its a CTC-51A like you said. In the service manual there is no name for the set in the model index, however I have a 74 rca brochure with this set pictured calling it the "Talisman". Looks like the same set I had. Heres a pic of the crappy one I used to have. This picture is a couple years old. As you can tell, its pretty much beat to hell, missing knobs etc.
The 51 uses a lot less tubes that the old CTC22. I think by '74 rca was using alot of Japanese and Taiwanese "RCA" tubes in their sets.