View Full Version : TV storage in cold locations???

AlwaysLyceum
12-21-2006, 10:08 PM
I was curious how harmful it was to store solid state TVs inside storage units during the cold winter months. I live in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, where the winters can get quite cold, and the only place I can store TVs is in a storage unit. Of course, it's not the high-class climate-controlled kinds; just the typical mini garage-style units with cement floors (I have pallets on the floor, so don't worry).

Thanks for the read!

Randy Bassham
12-21-2006, 10:12 PM
IMHO it's not the cold that is the problem, it's the changes in temp and humidity. If the temp changes from very cold to warm and humid they are going to get soaked just from the condensation.

jstout66
12-22-2006, 07:44 AM
Hey Mark! Well.... It isn't the most ideal situation, but it's better than not being able to keep them at all. I had a Zenith I had no room for in the house and I stored it in the garage (had planned on selling it) and I went to turn it on after a few cold days and it wouldn't come on. I think a cap went out in the switching/power supply. If your sets must be stored that way, just make sure they are at room temp for a few days before plugging them in and firing them up.

Chad Hauris
12-22-2006, 12:35 PM
When I lived in Ohio I would have rust issues with storing equipment in the garage as like Randy said condensation would form inside the set due to high humidity and the temperature changing from cold to warm and dew condensing on the metal parts of the set.
Here in desert-like West Texas have had no rust at all keeping sets in an unheated barn as the humidity is much less.

In Michigan I would recommend storing the sets anywhere inside in a heated environment if possible due to the rusting from condensation.