View Full Version : 1980 Sylvania 25" color console on the curb

Adam
12-18-2006, 10:27 AM
I don't want this set, but it is right near me, on Dickens St. just off of Beverly Glen in case anybody does. It's an unusual console, with doors, and a flip top lid under which is a storage compartment ontop of the tv (for a vcr?). It's got a keypad on the right-front of the set for push button tuning, on a flip-down door underneath the keypad it says "superset". And it is missing the remote, but all the original owners manuals and stuff are in that compartment above the set.

jpdylon
12-18-2006, 11:42 AM
leave it there.

They are cool looking sets. I worked on two --both of which had bad solder joints in the tuner, and one with an arcing HV suppply. The picture wasn't the greatest, but not terrible for an inline tube. I'm not sure if sylvania was still making their own sets at that point. Just don't think its worth picking up, but that's me.

kx250rider
12-19-2006, 12:48 PM
If I thought it had a delta gun tube, I'd drop what I'm doing and go get it! But 1980 is probably an inline. Did you happen to notice? If it's the delta gun, it's the highly prized 25VDMP22 with the deep black glass AND black matrix. Best CRT made, and I have one in my Zenith 25DC56.

Charles

Adam
12-19-2006, 02:56 PM
Still there, but it's inline, not the delta gun.

Adam
01-20-2008, 07:56 PM
Now there's a mid-80s 19" or so Toshiba color set on the curb about a block from here, normally something I wouldn't look twice at, but it appeared to be a super high end model with stuff like RGB input. I have no interest in it, but I thought I would at least post it up here in case anyone does. I walked by there a couple of hours ago and it was sitting next to an old laser printer and an empty case of Natural Ice beer.

radiotvnut
01-20-2008, 08:35 PM
I don't think Philips took over Sylvania until '81. Since it has the inline tube, I would probably leave it alone unless it was really nice looking and I knew I could unload it if I got it going. I'm pretty sure I know what chassis is in that set. I think it's an E51 and is the type with three big blue plug in modules in the bottom. I picked up one off the side of the road that had an arcing flyback and a weak CRT.

The Toshiba would probably be the better one to get. Their '80's sets seem to be pretty good and easy to fix when they do break.

Kiwick
01-21-2008, 02:12 PM
The picture wasn't the greatest, but not terrible for an inline tube.

weren't inline tubes supposed to be an improvement over delta gun tubes in terms of picture quality?

Is this set fitted with a Sylvania Uniline CRT? they're 110 degree and they have a big yoke with a green plastic housing.

kx250rider
01-22-2008, 11:22 AM
Those early inline tubes had a washed-out picture, and got weak really fast. The Sylvania delta gun tubes had a much deeper picture and stayed strong a LONG time. But the reason that people like to find those Sylvania 25VDMP22s is that they're a great upgrade for the old Zenith Chromacolor sets.

Charles

radiotvnut
01-22-2008, 11:37 AM
Speaking of inline tubes, does anyone remember that 25" inline tube with the large neck that was used by GE in the mid '70's in their YM chassis sets? Almost every one of those tubes were weak / shot by the time I got them. Well, that YM chassis was crap all the way around, IMHO.

kx250rider
01-22-2008, 12:10 PM
They were awful! I remember changing quite a few of them when they were only 4-5 years old.

Charles

Kiwick
01-22-2008, 06:17 PM
By the way, were there any American-made sets fitted with Philips' 20AX Inline CRT? The 20AX was launched in 1973 and was one of the first large screen 110 degree inline tubes (it came in 20" 22" and 26" screen sizes), it was replaced by the improved 30AX in 1978.

The 20AX has to be one of the best CRTs ever made, it was extremely durable, and had a wonderful sharp picture with incredible colors.

bgadow
01-23-2008, 12:12 PM
It seems like half the sets I used to drag home were 70's GE consoles, dead. I don't think I ever got a single one of them working. I had a good inline crt for one which I finally tossed since I'll never need it. (famous last words-said the same thing about that perfectly good 23v Admiral crt I tossed 10 years ago...)

Adam
01-26-2008, 06:35 PM
Now there's a mid-90s 35" or so Mitsubishi on the curb across from me, I'm not interested in it, just posting it up here in case anyone might be.