View Full Version : Finished my color TV website

drh4683
11-26-2006, 06:09 PM
Finally finished my TV website. Ive been working on it every now and then for about the last month. Dedicated to color TV only, from oldest to newest. I will eventually make one for my black and white TV collection. Take a look when you get a chance. Its a start, I used picturetrail to host the 130 immages.

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=12123264&uid=4901904&members=1

Sandy G
11-26-2006, 06:39 PM
Grrrrrr !! I'm jealous ! <grin>

colortrakker
11-26-2006, 06:40 PM
That's a great start! Can't imagine how much more you'll be adding to it as time goes on. Oh yeah, and I'm jealous too.

rcaman
11-26-2006, 08:59 PM
great website and i like the lawn-boy section. keep up the great work.

Scorpion8
11-26-2006, 09:16 PM
Sweet. My wife would kill me if I had that much stuff in the basement. I'm already pre-crab-bait just due to the audio gear I have.

bgadow
11-26-2006, 09:53 PM
Super job...I don't know too much about putting together websites but that looks like a lot of work. I have a simple one I put together for work and one of these days I want to add a page for my collection. It won't look as good as this, that's for sure!

Radiophile2001
11-27-2006, 11:27 AM
Fantastic site....this is indeed a virtual museum, as you had intended....needless to say, we sure know what you did over the Thanksgiving holiday! Very impressive.

jpdylon
11-27-2006, 01:03 PM
excellent site!! I would love to come over and just gawk at your collection. I'd be like a kid in a candy store.

old_tv_nut
11-27-2006, 05:51 PM
Envy, Envy, Envy! Great job and great collection!

dtuomi
11-27-2006, 10:43 PM
I'm envious of the space. What a nice open space for your hobby. Basements are rare to non-existent in Southern California and that kind of space would cost big bucks.

David

Chad Hauris
11-27-2006, 11:49 PM
Great website! I too am envious of your basement space. I was having to cover TV's and organs with tarps out in the tin barn tonight because of rain! It's really nice to have such a large dust-free indoor area.

blue_lateral
11-28-2006, 12:58 AM
Nice site! Nice work area, too. :thmbsp:

John

loomis
11-28-2006, 01:21 AM
Man forget the TV's....

NICE BASEMENT!

I wish I had a work area like that!!!

compucat
11-28-2006, 11:49 AM
DRH4683,
I have a Zenith roundie exactly like the on on your website. I am looking for a rear tube cap for it. Do you have any spares perhaps?

JCFitz
11-28-2006, 08:44 PM
Nice basement! Do you own the house that the basement is part of? If you do you're doing well at 23 years of age. Obviously not repairing tvs for a living.I repair tvs for a living ,am 38 years of age and live in a mobile home and I don't even own it. I rent.Hardly any room but better than some that live in apartments.

Big Dave
11-28-2006, 08:52 PM
Nice site. You done good.

Jeffhs
11-28-2006, 09:34 PM
Doug, I just looked at part of your website and am impressed. You did a very good job putting the site together; it's one of the best-looking sites I've seen here in my three years as an AK member. I'm not familiar with Picturetrail, but it looks like it certainly does the job for you.

Your '69 Zenith SC600 looks great in your basement TV area. I'm glad to see these older sets being used on a daily basis, as yours is. If I still lived in a house with a basement, I'd probably try for the same effect.

I do have one question, though: With all of your TVs, what will you do when the analog stations go off the air in about two years? I think you still have your antenna farm you put in when you moved to Batavia awhile ago. ATSC tuners for all those sets will cost you a small fortune, unless you have cable or satellite--and even then your cable/satellite bill will go through the roof.

The small radios are a nice touch in the TV area as well. Atop the SC600 I could swear I saw a TransOceanic 1000 or 3000, and also a German multi-band radio to the side of the TV. (I too have a Zenith TO 1000 atop my 1995 Zenith Sentry 2 19" table set in my bedroom, but the paint on the TV cabinet is chipping off :no: so it doesn't look nearly as good as your SC600.)

You have a TV viewing area you can and rightfully should be proud of. I sincerely hope it brings you much enjoyment for many years to come.

Kind regards,

tv beta guy
11-28-2006, 10:53 PM
Great site Doug :)

Radiophile2001
11-29-2006, 09:12 AM
Jeff,

Here's your answer....a concern for many, including Doug.....

http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=84545

Doug, I just looked at part of your website and am impressed. You did a very good job putting the site together; it's one of the best-looking sites I've seen here in my three years as an AK member. I'm not familiar with Picturetrail, but it looks like it certainly does the job for you.

Your '69 Zenith SC600 looks great in your basement TV area. I'm glad to see these older sets being used on a daily basis, as yours is. If I still lived in a house with a basement, I'd probably try for the same effect.

I do have one question, though: With all of your TVs, what will you do when the analog stations go off the air in about two years? I think you still have your antenna farm you put in when you moved to Batavia awhile ago. ATSC tuners for all those sets will cost you a small fortune, unless you have cable or satellite--and even then your cable/satellite bill will go through the roof.

The small radios are a nice touch in the TV area as well. Atop the SC600 I could swear I saw a TransOceanic 1000 or 3000, and also a German multi-band radio to the side of the TV. (I too have a Zenith TO 1000 atop my 1995 Zenith Sentry 2 19" table set in my bedroom, but the paint on the TV cabinet is chipping off :no: so it doesn't look nearly as good as your SC600.)

You have a TV viewing area you can and rightfully should be proud of. I sincerely hope it brings you much enjoyment for many years to come.

Kind regards,

Jeffhs
11-29-2006, 01:32 PM
If you have cable or satellite TV, there is no need to be concerned about the digital changeover in 2009. Cable companies are spending millions of dollars upgrading their systems for the new standards (Comcast and Time Warner, to name but two major cable operators, are already carrying digital channels and have digital converter boxes with DVR and all the other bells and whistles, including On Demand), so when "HD-Day" (as I call the day the standards change) comes there will be no cause for worry. Of course, your present analog TV won't show the digital broadcasts in HD (your screen will show the picture in letterbox format), but at least you'll still be able to see your area's local channels when their analog signals are discontinued. I am considering very seriously having my own cable service downgraded to basic (local channels only) in 2009, getting other programming, including movies, on DVD. I've had a subscription to Netflix for almost two years now; those DVDs are often the only TV shows I watch these days except for news and sports.

Another alternative is the Internet. Many TV shows (including NBC and ABC nightly news broadcasts and others at the networks' own websites) are being streamed over the Web these days; there are also sites such as TorrentSpy (www.torrentspy.com), TV Central (www.tv.org), et al. that offer downloadable TV series. I have a lifetime membership to tv.org and also have bookmarked TorrentSpy and Mininova.org (two popular torrent sites), as well as AOL's in2TV. Watched an old episode of the 1970s sitcom Welcome Back Kotter on AOL's In2TV service last night; it was just as funny as when the shows were new 30 years ago. A plus: no commercials to interrupt the programs, but there are pauses and the inevitable ad banners at the bottom or sides of the screen; oh well, so-called "free" Internet services have to support themselves somehow. There is no free lunch, as the expression goes.