View Full Version : I finally found something I am certain you guys will appreciate!

Bobby Brady
10-14-2006, 09:32 PM
I hope I am not wrong for putting this here but I don't think this is "early B/W".
It's a Firestone TV! How rare is that? It works! I am too far or I'd get it.

ebay item# 180036726791

blue_lateral
10-14-2006, 09:59 PM
Firestone used to have stores attached to their tire garages where they sold all sorts of crap. There was one here, and the store part was bigger than you would probably expect.

Cool set! :thmbsp:

John

Sandy G
10-14-2006, 10:18 PM
Think that guy dates from mid-late '50s. Neat set !

Carmine
10-15-2006, 09:12 PM
Do not forget western auto. they had a store (or maybe just a sign) here in phoenix Until very recently. Back to the firestone . . . if you turn It quickly it might explode.

Chad Hauris
10-15-2006, 09:52 PM
There are still some Western Auto stores which sell appliances...one is in Alamogordo, NM if I remember correctly. They probably don't have the Truetone or Wizard brands anymore though.

ARC Tech-109
10-15-2006, 11:08 PM
Oh man Chad now that brings back some memories of a Truetone (detrola) multiband radio I found behind a dumpster. Cabinet was shot field coil speaker was a birds nest but the chassis worked after I figured out the resistance of the curtain burner cord.
I also have somewhere a real Delco AM table radio, think it was made by Setchell Carlson with the Delco name and General Motors on the back panel. Wish I could have been around in those days!

Adam
10-16-2006, 12:52 AM
AC spark plugs radio made by Admiral - picked this up at a garage sale a few years ago. I also have an Air Chief radio around here somewhere, I think Air Chiefs were made by Firestone, but not sure. Also got one of those Truetones with the Wizard tubes, if I could ever find something good to listen to on AM I would use that one, that's a nice radio.

bgadow
10-16-2006, 01:27 PM
The house I grew up in backed up to a woods. At the other side (probably a mile away) there was an old junk pile and on top of it set a Firestone TV almost identical to this one. If it wasn't for the weight I'd have carried it home. I would assume the crt was toast (not broken, but why else would it get tossed?) Who knows, that crt might still be good! Anyway, this has more character than another RCA or Philco.

I know of one Western Auto store, an hour away, which still sells televisions-or at least did the last time I stopped in about 10 years ago. No, nothing Truetone anymore. I should probably stop in and see if they have any old stock in the back.

Funny how tire stores would be in the radio business. I have radios sold by Goodyear, BFGoodrich, Pure Oil...I have some very old tubes with test stickers from Pep Boys. (twenties/thirties)