View Full Version : The last "real" Zenith?

jstout66
08-30-2006, 10:53 AM
I got a 19" Zenith off of the local Craigslist, and I was wondering if it was still a "true" Zenith product. I can't remember when Goldstar "LG" bought a chunk of them which was the beginning of the downward spiral for Zenith. Also have never heard of this model and wanted opinions. I am not that familiar with newer Zenith sets after the early System 3's (my Uncle closed shop in the mid 80's) Anyway... it was made in December 88, and there is a large sticker on the back that says "Zenith Horizon Series" It's cable ready and has the Zenith "rediplug" adapter in the back. What the hell was rediplug anyway? The set isn't too special looking. Looks like a black cube. The picture is amazing tho. The only thing I can see that doesn't work is the channel up/down feature. It doesn't work when you hit the buttons on the set or try it on the remote. You just get a "PO" in the green led channel indicator. However all channels work when you enter them on the remote. It was only $15.00 so I thought what the hell.......

kx250rider
08-30-2006, 12:19 PM
I think that's still a Zenith, as far as being made before Zenith Radio Corp sold out to Korea. But it is a Mexico-built set.

The RediPlug was just an external 300-ohm UHF-VHF splitter, and had a long screw that holds it in place on the 75-ohm cable connector. There is also another jack that shows up on those, for Base Tac. I forget what that contraption was supposed to do, and I only ever saw one or two actually installed.

When the readout says PO, that means you have to add channels to the memory. Just use the keyboard or remote to get the channel, then push add, or if no add button, use the keyboard on the TV and NOT the remote to add the channel. It should be fine, as long as the memory isn't shot.

Charles

Geoff Bourquin
08-30-2006, 09:25 PM
If I remember correctly, the ready plug had a 3 or 4 pin jack that was an option. It gave you a place to plug in the optional 4 input antenna switch, or the stereo adapter, on the models that didnt have stereo installed (I haven't seen one of those for almost 20 years!) I think it carried ground, data and power (+5?). I guess tomorow I'll have to dig out my old zenith manuals and look up the pinout. I have a customer who still uses the antenna switch with her 1985 "CUBE" set

colortrakker
08-31-2006, 08:00 AM
The antenna box didn't use the Redi-Plug. It had its own input, and used its own power supply. Tha manual for my '83-vintage System 3 says about the Redi-Plug, "Every Zenith Chassis features an access port that will allow easy connection of future accessories such as Stereo TV adapter, Teletext decocder and selected Cable TV decoders."