View Full Version : Sharp? Linytron? Any Good?

zenith2134
06-05-2006, 11:45 AM
Hey everyone . I was talking Tv's with a coworker (physics guy) and we started about CRT technologies. (Trinitron, Flat-screen development, etc. ) Anyhow, he mentioned the Sharp Linytron (correct spelling) and how Sharp Sets had nice tubes back in the day - How true is this statement? What did the Lynitron system claim to do?
I actually owned a 13" Sharp Linytron mod.#13mm17 which was a knob-tuned 1987ish set of arguable build quality. It lasted til about 2001 when the flyback transformer quit, and I tossed it. The point however, is that it always had excellent color rendition and light output. It was a heavily used set, too!

Now the story takes another twist: Another techy-coworker pointed out that there was a 1990 model Linytron 19incher in the basement of the building, where he works. The best part-Its a '90, but is knob-tuned for both UHF and VHF. Must have been a real cheapy, but alas has the same excellent pic, and has heavy use! (I took the back off because I HAD to :D ) The mainboard is really small, and the tube is a A48...damit cant remember the rest. Doesnt tell us much, But why are these cheapies giving such high quality Pix?

jpdylon
06-05-2006, 11:53 AM
I had a linytron from 87 that had a small board and rotart analog tuners. It was a 25" and had a great picture for an in-line tube. I ended up selling it when I found a minty Chromacolor II but I can't say it was a bad set. I had another linytron from the late 70s that was heavily used. THe CRT was a little weak, but it still produced a good picture with decent contrast and brightness.

I'm not sure if the two technologies are similar (between sony and sharp) but I think the idea was to use stripes of RGB instead of pixels of RGB. This was somehow supposed to make the picture look sharper and have better image quality.

kx250rider
06-05-2006, 11:59 AM
Not a fan at all, from a tech standpoint. Cheaply made, from the ever-failing power supply to the plastic cabinets that would decompose and shatter when you go to pick up the TV. The picture was bright, but they had a pale face screen which caused poor contrast. They also had a horrible 25" set in the late 80s that I think was about the worst picture of any color TV; ever. The model was 25NV68BK. The "BK" must have stood for "BAD KINESCOPE" .

Maybe... juse maybe, the early Sharps with the delta gun tube were a bit better. The ones with the metal cabinet. Still not great, but better. But a Linytron, :thumbsdn:

Charles

zenith2134
06-05-2006, 12:08 PM
Interesting indeed. I can see why you aren't a fan, they are cheaply made, but they do last it seems. Just a thought, and I would hope that the Chromacolor had a FAR better picture than anything sharp. I personally owned a white pedestal chromacolor from around 1975 and it never failed to amaze me in terms of all-around quality. Makes me wonder why i sold it and bought a Digital System 3 console in the 1990s. Guess I said 'hey buy a brand new zenith the best one you can find, and it'll be even better! Nope, it was junk. have a good day

kx250rider
06-05-2006, 12:14 PM
You're right about the Digital System III... It was a nightmare in reliablity, but it did have a good picture (when the CRT was still good). And I agree about the Chromacolor II being one of the best sets ever. I think the problem with the digital set is that it was too complicated for its own good. If they wanted the repair industry to approve of that set more, they should have sold MODULES with the DOGGONE IC CHIPS INCLUDED!!!!! I don't know where they came up with the idea to sell the replacement modules with empty IC sockets. At least they didn't sell picture tubes with the gun sold separately :scratch2:

Charles

zenith2134
06-05-2006, 12:17 PM
Ha, the fact that I care about junky TVs like sharps and sanyos and stuff is interesting. I just keep thinking that the manufacturers tried their best to work within the consumers price ranges and still make a good set, but ultimately failed miserably. On the other hand, there are exceptions where the cheapest stuff sticks around for years an years, and the most expensive stuff (Zenith Digital sys 3) dies an untimely death. That was the last Zenith set I ever bought, and now stick to vintage ones, which don't routinely need their vertical cap's swapped out or the whole board resoldered after 4 years. :scratch2: :thumbsdn:

kx250rider
06-05-2006, 12:20 PM
Speaking of junk that works forever; Portacolor sets are in that category! I can't remember ever seeing one that didn't at least come on and give some sort of picture.

And high-end sets that die early? Pioneer projection sets!

Charles

zenith2134
06-05-2006, 12:22 PM
Yes, yes. I also found that as time went on they tried to stick you with having to buy individual parts in addition to the costly boards. I remember having to sub some IC in one of those because the sets owner would not pay the price that oem parts cost. I always took risks with things like that, but always did my HW and worked out every possible outcome first. Who knows that set could be running somewhere right now( On its 17th CRT, granted. :nono: ) But that even changed because the new Sonys in the 90s and even in the 80s would be VERY unforgiving about subs, and no amount of HW would let me get away with that...
It is a shame that zenith didnt stick with the modules, at least you always had some lying around, and you could repair 'em if needed.

zenith2134
06-05-2006, 12:26 PM
Hm, dont really remember the Pioneer projo's but I personally wouldnt buy a Pioneer tv, only stereo equipment(pre1985 of course). Never had a Portacolor, but have heard that they are fairly simple and work forever like you said. It also seems that new expensive models like LCD's and plasma's along with my crap Sony Wega develop unrepairable problems early on too. I wish I was a multibillionaire so i could get a good company off the ground and make good stuff again.

andy
06-05-2006, 12:35 PM
Hey everyone . I was talking Tv's with a coworker (physics guy) and we started about CRT technologies. (Trinitron, Flat-screen development, etc. ) Anyhow, he mentioned the Sharp Linytron (correct spelling) and how Sharp Sets had nice tubes back in the day - How true is this statement? What did the Lynitron system claim to do?

The short answer is that there has never been anything special about Sharp CRTs. As far as I know Sharp never even made their own CRTs (although they were branded Sharp). The name "Linytron" was just something they added to differentiate their first sets that used in-line CRTs from the ones with delta guns. I guess they wanted something that sounded like Trinitron. The CRTs in Sharp TVs vary a lot in quality depending on who they bought them from.

zenith2134
06-05-2006, 12:38 PM
Yes, it had to be a marketing gimmick. So Im assuming that anything named linytron is an inline, of course, right?
More on CHEAP tv's: Has anyone ever heard of a brand called MAVA? they all have Goldstar CRT's, all early to mid 80s, and are all built in Seoul, So. Korea. JUNK!! I picked one up for laughs a few years ago, still in my garage i bet.

Dave A
06-05-2006, 06:59 PM
For $50 on craigslist I just got this thing. Note the beautiful fusion of Chinese pagoda design in the stand (probably plastic) and early American dry sink cabinetry for the set which surrounds a "Zenith Chromeacolor TV ,good working condition".

Stop me before I buy again! But not knowing Zenith that well, what did I buy besides a portable in a cabinet?

Dave A

OOPS! This belongs in;
ANOTHER consolette RCA CTC-19 today!

Can one of the all-powerful moderators move this and save me from myself?

Dave A

jstout66
06-05-2006, 07:08 PM
the best picture of any vintage set that blows away some new sets to this day. The BEST thing Zenith ever put out. Hands down.

Adam
06-05-2006, 07:50 PM
I got one of those in a white plastic cabinet with the SC 600 remote, a while back. I haven't got to working on it yet, and it won't even power up, so I can't comment on the picture. I've never seen a wooden one like that though.

kx250rider
06-06-2006, 12:26 AM
I guess they wanted something that sounded like Trinitron.

Anyone remember the Tatung Audiocolor of the late 70s??? The name didn't fool you into thinking Sony, but if your glasses prescription was a bit out of date, you would think you were looking at a Sony KV-1941R which was the total cat's meow of the time! I even saw one at the Roadium swapmeet which someone had pried the TATUNG badge off and put the SONY one in place. (Like the whole TV, the badge was placed and sized the same as Sony) :scratch2:

Charles

dr.ido
06-06-2006, 06:51 AM
There was a 13" Linytron at the TV graveyard today, but I left it there. I just find them to be ugly sets with mediocre at best performance. If anyone local want it I'll grab it next time I'm there.

MAVA sounds like it could be related to sets sold here under the Masuda, Orion and Palsonic brands. Crappy sets that no-one wants to work on. Even back when there was still money in repairing and selling used sets they'd get left behind.