View Full Version : New member here!!

matt_s78mn
06-03-2006, 05:39 PM
Hi, I'm new to the audiokarma forums, so I just thought I'd post and say Hi. It was so cool to run across this site. I didn't know there was much of anything out there for people intereted in vintage electronics. Any, I have posted a picture gallery of a few of the items in my collection, so check em out and let me know what you think. There are pictures of some the TVs I have except for a late '90s model JVC 19", an RCA CTC-68 Lyceum 25", and a CTC-9 "Roundie."

Sandy G
06-03-2006, 05:43 PM
Oh, Dear God...ANOTHER &*#% TV nut...<grin> Seriously, welcome, pal ! You'll find a BUNCH of us here who share your, erm, "affliction"...

HWF1
06-03-2006, 05:45 PM
Welcome matt_s78mn you'll find lots of support and fun here.

Chad Hauris
06-03-2006, 09:05 PM
That CTC-68 Lyceum is one of my favorites with the metal cabinet!

smoker76
06-03-2006, 10:16 PM
How do I get to the picture gallery?

polaraman
06-03-2006, 11:40 PM
You forgot to introduce your kitty cat!

polaraman

matt_s78mn
06-03-2006, 11:51 PM
How do I get to the picture gallery?

Go to the main audiokarma page that lists all the forums which is http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php? and scroll down to "The Members Photo Gallery" (it is about a third of the way down). the link to that page is http://www.audiokarma.org/gallery/index.php You can go all the way down to the bottom of that page and see the recent uploads. If you click on any of the thumbnails with my screenname under them (matt_s78mn) that will take you to my gallery.

Eric H
06-03-2006, 11:53 PM
Hi Matt,

Wow, except for the cabinet color your B&W RCA portable is the same set I had in the early 70's!!

Is the horizontal output tube by chance a 38HE7?

Found this ad on eBay some time ago.

http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=51734

jpdylon
06-04-2006, 12:13 AM
Welcome aboard Matt. I'm sure you'll fit in just fine here. Please do post pics of your CTC-9 :yes:

matt_s78mn
06-04-2006, 12:17 AM
That CTC-68 Lyceum is one of my favorites with the metal cabinet!

Yea I agree. I wish I had a pic of it to post on here, but it is in storage at a different location. It was originally owned by the high school I went to, so it has the usual scuffs and dings from being in that type of environment. The speaker grille is mashed in a bit and it has a few scratches on the sides of the cabinet. I did use it for a while, but it is currently not working. If I remember correctly, I get a white raster and that's about it.

You forgot to introduce your kitty cat!

polaraman

Hey polaraman, thx for the reminder. :) BTW, is your screen name hinting you are a mopar guy? I am too but am into Imperials and New Yorkers. Anyway, My name is Matt, and I'm located in southeast Minnesota. (Are there any members in my area?) I work as an engineer for a tv studio owned by a cable company. As far as hobbies and interests go besides tinkering vintage electronics, as I stated earlier, i'm into cars, and I also collect vintage computers (mainly apple and commodore stuff though.)

jpdylon
06-04-2006, 12:26 AM
I've had a thing for mopars, especially the A bodies. I've owned lots of Darts, and now I've got a 64 Valiant with a slant and a 4 speed. Most excellent daily driver. Imperials are pimpin' cars, but my wallet is too skinny to afford the gas. I'd love to get my hands on a roundie someday, but for now I just stare at everyone elses.

matt_s78mn
06-04-2006, 12:29 AM
Hi Matt,

Wow, except for the cabinet color your B&W RCA portable is the same set I had in the early 70's!!

Is the horizontal output tube by chance a 38HE7?

Found this ad on eBay some time ago.

http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=51734

Hi Eric, no the Horiz Output is a 22JR6. In reference to the post you linked to. I'll have to take the back off tomorrow and investigate, because there is no model # or chassis # markings on the back of the set.

matt_s78mn
06-04-2006, 12:35 AM
I've had a thing for mopars, especially the A bodies. I've owned lots of Darts, and now I've got a 64 Valiant with a slant and a 4 speed. Most excellent daily driver. Imperials are pimpin' cars, but my wallet is too skinny to afford the gas. I'd love to get my hands on a roundie someday, but for now I just stare at everyone elses.

Wow yea that would be a prettys sweet Plymouth. My Imperial get's better gas mileage than my father's Ford F-250 though, LOL Actually I have heard of people getting up to 20MPG with a 440 equipped Imperial, but mine would need lots of tuneup and carb work to ever achieve that.

matt_s78mn
06-04-2006, 12:38 AM
Welcome aboard Matt. I'm sure you'll fit in just fine here. Please do post pics of your CTC-9 :yes:

Thanks jpdylon :) I'll have to get some pics posted on here. It's in storage at a different location, but next time i'm there i'll take the digi camera along.

polaraman
06-04-2006, 12:43 AM
YEP! Dodge Polara 500's!

polaraman

Chad Hauris
06-04-2006, 01:34 AM
Matt, check the tuner/line switch at the bottom left hand corner of the CTC-68 next time you try it, I have seen a lot of cases of oxidation on switch contacts on this switch cause problems with video/audio.
Great pictures! RCA also made a 23" B/W Lyceum TV with that same chassis asyour portable but turned horizontally and equipped with an isolation transformer to eliminate the shock hazard of the metal cabinet and external inputs and outputs.

I see you also have Apple computers; do you know of any sites to get apple II software from? I have a bunch of apple II's but no software all to run on them.

blue_lateral
06-04-2006, 01:41 AM
Welcome! :wave:

John

Sandy G
06-04-2006, 08:14 AM
Hmmm...If I had my druthers, which Imperial would I go with...The 1957-63 Exner version, w/the heroic fins, or the 1964-66 Elwood Engel "Green Hornet" version. Actually, I prefer "Mr Waverly" when referring to the 1964-66 series-remember "Man from UNCLE" ? Aww, hell, just get one of each...IMHO, the 1957-63 Imperial was about the prettiest car from the Age of Gorp there was..Always thought the curved side glass REALLY set 'em off...and the FINS...nobody did fins better than Chrysler...

Pete Deksnis
06-04-2006, 08:15 AM
now I've got a 64 Valiant with a slant and a 4 speed. Most excellent daily driver. Oooooh! Memories. Ordered a '64 V-100 from the factory with the 225 slant six, 4-speed, and factory AC. Great car. Great acceleration for its day. Used to wipe out kids driving their daddy's '64 Pontiac auto/389's.

Adam
06-04-2006, 10:52 AM
It's always good to hear that there are more old TV guys around. Until I discovered this place a few months ago, I thought I was the only one out there collecting and repairing old sets. I used to have 2 portable RCAs that looked like that one, I got them both at the same yard sale. It was way back in the late 80s before I knew how to repair this stuff, so I don't know what kind of HO tube they used, though.

I've never owned a Chrysler myself, but I do like very much nearly all of the American cars from the late 50s through the mid 70s. If I could go for any Chrysler I wanted, it would definetly be the Imperial. I would go for the 57-63, though. Those were some of the best looking cars ever made. The hard choice would be between the 57-58 with the 392 hemi, or the 58-63 with the 413.

matt_s78mn
06-04-2006, 11:13 AM
Matt, check the tuner/line switch at the bottom left hand corner of the CTC-68 next time you try it, I have seen a lot of cases of oxidation on switch contacts on this switch cause problems with video/audio.
Great pictures! RCA also made a 23" B/W Lyceum TV with that same chassis asyour portable but turned horizontally and equipped with an isolation transformer to eliminate the shock hazard of the metal cabinet and external inputs and outputs.

I see you also have Apple computers; do you know of any sites to get apple II software from? I have a bunch of apple II's but no software all to run on them.

Hi Chad,

There are a lot of places to find Apple II software. Here's a webpage that lists a bunch of FTP sites software can be downloaded from. http://www.wbwip.com/a2web/a2netsoft.html Also a good place to find out current news and information about the still thriving Apple II community is www.a2central.com There are a number of different ways of getting the downloaded disk images from your Mac or PC to your Apple II. If you want, PM me and I can help you out with that.

matt_s78mn
06-04-2006, 11:35 AM
Hmmm...If I had my druthers, which Imperial would I go with...The 1957-63 Exner version, w/the heroic fins, or the 1964-66 Elwood Engel "Green Hornet" version. Actually, I prefer "Mr Waverly" when referring to the 1964-66 series-remember "Man from UNCLE" ? Aww, hell, just get one of each...IMHO, the 1957-63 Imperial was about the prettiest car from the Age of Gorp there was..Always thought the curved side glass REALLY set 'em off...and the FINS...nobody did fins better than Chrysler...

It's always good to hear that there are more old TV guys around. Until I discovered this place a few months ago, I thought I was the only one out there collecting and repairing old sets. I used to have 2 portable RCAs that looked like that one, I got them both at the same yard sale. It was way back in the late 80s before I knew how to repair this stuff, so I don't know what kind of HO tube they used, though.

I've never owned a Chrysler myself, but I do like very much nearly all of the American cars from the late 50s through the mid 70s. If I could go for any Chrysler I wanted, it would definetly be the Imperial. I would go for the 57-63, though. Those were some of the best looking cars ever made. The hard choice would be between the 57-58 with the 392 hemi, or the 58-63 with the 413.

I agree, my favorte Imperials are the 61-63 (because of the cool pod headlights, gunsight taillights, and overall body design), and 67-68 (these have IMHO the best looking interiors). Mine is a '74, which was the last body style change before they ended production of the full size in '75. It's nice to have a 440 without lean burn - that can be a real pain if it malfunctions. And to tie this thread back to electronics, :P mine didn't have the twilight sentenel auto dimming headlight option, but I am adding that into the car, and i've updated the radio from the standard am-fm search tune, to an am-fm stereo w/ built in cb from a '79 new yorker just because of the coolness factor.

colortrakker
06-05-2006, 03:28 PM
I work as an engineer for a tv studio owned by a cable company.
OK, it's a little late, but welcome! Always nice to spot a fellow TV worker. I'm settling in as a master control op with a major group of networks that probably has a large presence on your system.

PS since you mentioned it: My fave Imperials are the "Fuselage" bodies from 1969-1973. Things o'beauty, especially with the wing windows. And LOVE that upside-down speedometer!

matt_s78mn
06-05-2006, 10:16 PM
OK, it's a little late, but welcome! Always nice to spot a fellow TV worker. I'm settling in as a master control op with a major group of networks that probably has a large presence on your system.

PS since you mentioned it: My fave Imperials are the "Fuselage" bodies from 1969-1973. Things o'beauty, especially with the wing windows. And LOVE that upside-down speedometer!

Hi nice to meet you too :) Ahh yes, master control :D How do you like it so far? When I used to live in Illinois, a friend of mine worked the late shift in master control for a station there. I'd go and hang out with him, and since the building was pretty much empty, we'd order a pizza and sit around and bs for a while - ahh, good times, lol. I was always amazed at how many 3/4" decks that station had in it's automation system. That was about 6 years ago so I sure hope they've upgraded to a video server by now.

I usually don't find that many people who like the fuselage body style, so that's very cool. Of that body style, i'd have to say I like the '71 the best. Mainy because I like that particular look of the front grille and the hideaway headlights.

southernguy
06-06-2006, 12:27 AM
Welcome Matt, I have Cats too and a CTC 31.

smoker76
06-06-2006, 01:52 AM
If that CTC 9 has that belt drive channel indicator there is one on eBay under rca parts.
I agree about the '69 to '72 Imperials. I would love to drive one that's in good condition. I like the old ones also. In '67 a Imperial 2-door had a Mobile Director option with a swing-out conference table from the rear and a front passenger seat that swiveled to face the rear passenger over the table. I got a TV commercial of it. It seems funny to me.
Maybe you can post photos of your CTC-9?
Thanks

colortrakker
06-06-2006, 10:49 AM
Hi nice to meet you too :) Ahh yes, master control :D How do you like it so far? When I used to live in Illinois, a friend of mine worked the late shift in master control for a station there. I'd go and hang out with him, and since the building was pretty much empty, we'd order a pizza and sit around and bs for a while - ahh, good times, lol. I was always amazed at how many 3/4" decks that station had in it's automation system. That was about 6 years ago so I sure hope they've upgraded to a video server by now.

Master control where I am is awesome. All our networks run on a Harris/Louth server but we run DigiBeta backup tapes. The station I came from only uses automation for breaks and infomercials - everything else runs off of DVCPro with no backup. Although they did try to automate and failed when the same segment of a show ran back to back because of an operator's mistake (not mine!).

matt_s78mn
06-06-2006, 11:53 AM
If that CTC 9 has that belt drive channel indicator there is one on eBay under rca parts.
I agree about the '69 to '72 Imperials. I would love to drive one that's in good condition. I like the old ones also. In '67 a Imperial 2-door had a Mobile Director option with a swing-out conference table from the rear and a front passenger seat that swiveled to face the rear passenger over the table. I got a TV commercial of it. It seems funny to me.
Maybe you can post photos of your CTC-9?
Thanks

My ctc-9 doesn't have the belt drive channel indicator. It is the Winslow cabinet style with the tuner knob and controls on the right side of the set. The channel numbers are just printed on the knob itself. Unfortunately I don't have pics of it available right now or I'd post them for you all to see. The set is in storage at my father's plumbing shop in Nebraska, and i'm in Minnesota :( The cabinet is in kinda poor condition. Back when i was in high school, I went with my grandpa (who was an antique dealer) to an estate auction for this guy who had been a junk collector all his life. I remember there being tons and tons of stuff, so much stuff that they had three auction rings going. I was wandering around looking in the house, and in various outbuildings and garages on the property, and as i stuck my head in one storage shed, wow, I saw that ctc-9, a late '50's zenith space command, a philco seventeener, and a couple 80's vintage GE sets. Well, I just had to have the ctc-9, cause I had never seen a roundie before in person, and the coolness factor was way up!! So I quick found someone from the auction company and asked them if they were going to be selling the contents of that shed, and they said no, and that I could have whatever I wanted out of there. Of course, I wanted all of them, but we didn't have much room to transport them all back home (plus my mother would have had a coronary, LOL) so I just grabbed the ctc-9. It would have been so cool to have the space command zenith, but i think I made a good choice. Any after getting it home and checking things out. I discovered that the cabinet had some water damage (the top was starting to come apart), and someone at one time had decided they were going to refinish it, so the wood trim on the front had all the varnish stripped off. Electronically, the set was pretty much all there. Well, I did get the set to power up, and produce a raster, and was amazed at the sound quality it had. It was sure worthy of the "golden throat" logo on the back of the set. Over the years, I havent done much with it besides that though, because it is quite large and extremely heavy. So i've left it in storage thinking someday i'll be able to spend some time with it and restore it back to original working condition. Perhaps the joining of this group will cause me to do just that. Anyway that's my story of how it came into my possession.

Yea the mobile director option was very cool, and is quite rare. Would be fun to have one. It would feel kinda strange going down the interstate at 70mph sitting in that front seat turned around to face the back.

matt_s78mn
06-06-2006, 12:07 PM
Master control where I am is awesome. All our networks run on a Harris/Louth server but we run DigiBeta backup tapes. The station I came from only uses automation for breaks and infomercials - everything else runs off of DVCPro with no backup. Although they did try to automate and failed when the same segment of a show ran back to back because of an operator's mistake (not mine!).

Sounds like fun. By the end of this summer, I'm going to be installing a 360 Systems ImageServer. It has native DV file support, so it's going to be slick to be able to throw content on there directly from Final Cut Pro.

I found a pic of the automation decks I was refering to in my earlier post, so I thought i'd throw it on here for ya to check out.