View Full Version : Found 2 Sony Trinitrons - KV1510 & KV1712D

zenith2134
05-04-2006, 07:19 PM
I found these last weekend on the curb and took em both because they were clean and complete. Sure enough they both fired up, but with some problems. On the smaller KV1510, i am assuming the CRT is weak because the pic is dim with the picture, brightness, and screen controls turned up, plus The red gun seems almost dead, compared with the green and blue which are strong. If there are no other suggestions on this one, I will toss it even though it is a nice looking tv.

The 17" KV1712D dates to 1977 and has a strong bright pix with perfect colors. All i did was adjust the focus pot slightly. However, after watching for about 5 minutes, the raster begins to pulse/fluctuate from side to side. I guess this means the horizontal drive is getting inconsistent power? It is a small fluctuation, about 2 inches on both sides, and the rate at which it pulses is very slow. Now, I checked all cap's in the HV/horizontal circuit and most were in spec, with only some being slightly off. I cannot check HV at this time as I do not have my probe here. I want to help this set because besides the strong trinitron tube, it brings back memories of a similar set I had in the early 80s, which was varactor-tuner styled.
If anyone thinks either one is scrap-pile material let me know, and vice-versa if you have any positive input on 'em. Happy tv-collecting!!

smoker76
05-10-2006, 07:30 AM
I hope you didn't throw them out yet!
I noticed this late.
Please post photos of the sets and if you want you can get all you need here to fix them.

zenith2134
05-10-2006, 04:17 PM
Pics are always an issue for me because my pc sucks and i have to buy a new Digital Camera. I didnt dump them , I put the 1510 to the side, and started to replace some caps and resistors in the kv1712 , namely the ones which I mentioned to be 'out of spec' . The problem is now intermittent, and it is a very watchable set, I guess I'll just start resoldering critical points.

zenith2134
05-19-2006, 05:35 PM
The KV1712D now running very smoothly, although its on some spanish uhf station due to lack of antennae... turned out to be a great set (July 1977) not bad for a 29 year old tv