View Full Version : video disc player (CED) problems

Adam
05-04-2006, 05:25 PM
I finally found some discs for my CED video disc player, RCA model SFT100W. What it does is play the disc for about 30 seconds, then get stuck, move backwards for a while, then start playing it again until it gets to the same point in the disc, then get stuck and go backwards again, and do it over and over. It does this on all the discs I tried, and I tried about 10, so I don't think the problem is due to bad discs. The rewind and pause functions work, but when I try the fast foward, it moves foward for just a few seconds, then gets stuck.

I found this in the back lot of a used electronic parts store, where it had been sitting outside at the bottom of a heap of junk for probably decades. It was being rained on, as the shifting of the piles of stuff had recently exposed it. The fact that it still works this well I think speaks highly of the quality of these units. Anyway, if anyone who knows these things can point me in the right direction thanks alot. I am hoping to watch the discs on my ctc-15, as the mixture of two seldomly seen anymore devices such as these really appeals to me. Although I suppose watching it on the system 3 would be more accurate as to what these were originally watched on.

Celt
05-04-2006, 06:00 PM
Could be anything from a bad stylus, a bad belt or even servo probs. I replaced a stylus in a stereo model back in the 70's and seem to remember the platter and linear tracking arm being belt driven. Dang! That was nearly thirty years ago!

Nakdoc
05-04-2006, 06:20 PM
Dang!
Since the problem repeats, I'd blame the arm slider. Needles are cheap and available. I might even have a manual.

Chad Hauris
05-04-2006, 06:23 PM
On several of these machines we have found the belts disintegrated and left a tarry substance all over the pulleys...cleaning with isopropyl alcohol (very messy) and new belts fixed the ones we worked on.

bgadow
05-04-2006, 07:13 PM
A belt goes bad and the stylus doesn't move, or doesn't move far, and so it just keeps repeating that same section. That's what happened with mine. I still don't have it right, as it skips a lot. The belts I have are not really right.

andy
05-04-2006, 07:15 PM
It sounds like the arm is getting stuck, or never moving at all. The arm is moved by a servo mechanism (like a linear tracking turntable). It could be a problem with that circuit, the motor that moves the arm, a belt, a gear, or something obstructing it. It might even be rust, or lack of lubrication.

wa2ise
05-04-2006, 09:01 PM
Take a look at http://www.cedmagic.com/selectavision.html

Ever wonder why the CED system bombed, but DVD was successful?

Celt
05-04-2006, 09:42 PM
As I recall, the SelectaVision CED failed in the marketplace for two reasons. a.) You couldn't record on it, whereas VHS/Beta units were becoming commonplace and b.) Finding CED's to buy or rent was difficult. As we all know, everybody seems to be renting or selling DVD's! :yes: Ooh! DVD discs and players are very affordable too!

3Guncolor
05-04-2006, 09:56 PM
Don't forget about Analog laser disk a better system and it bombed as well.

Celt
05-04-2006, 10:01 PM
Don't forget about Analog laser disk a better system and it bombed as well.
Yep...and again, price and availability...plus the average consumer wants a format they can record on. I wonder how many folks are buying DVD recorders for time shifting? :scratch2:

andy
05-04-2006, 10:31 PM
Yep...and again, price and availability...plus the average consumer wants a format they can record on. I wonder how many folks are buying DVD recorders for time shifting? :scratch2:

Believe it or not, most people aren't interested in recording. Every person I know has a DVD player, but I'm the only one who uses a VCR for recording. Most of my friends don't even have a VCR.

Eric H
05-04-2006, 11:50 PM
If I'm not mistaken the DVD is the most successful Electronic product ever?
And why not, fantastic picture, compact size, staggering amount of product available at cheap prices.

Did anyone ever dream they would be able to own entire seasons or entire runs of their favorite shows in a format no bigger than a small book! :banana:

john_w
05-05-2006, 12:02 AM
I had a player that would skip back on occasion and basically acted like the disc itself had scratches or crud on it. But all my discs were doing that - never made it thru a single disc. It turned out to be a worn out motor, so unfortunately in that case, it was destined for the scrap heap. I hope yours turns out better.

BTW, I later picked up a nice Pioneer LD player that is also a 5 CD changer. (Shweeeeeet!! :thmbsp: ) I have yet to see a single skip out of it.

Celt
05-05-2006, 01:27 AM
I just realized something about my "time shifting" question. Around here, if you pay the extra bucks for digital cable, you automatically get a HD recorder that's part of the digital tuner they supply you with. But I digress... Wish you luck with your CED player Adam!

kx250rider
05-05-2006, 02:02 AM
BELT!!! Been there, done that. Also, be sure to clean out all the old hardened lube, and put some new white grease on the sliding surfaces.

Charles

Pete Deksnis
05-05-2006, 09:00 AM
Back then, VHS was too entrenched to overcome either one of the earlier disc types. Even though the CED system was introduce to the marketplace at a suggested retail price fully one-third below that of the laser system, as quoted from page 273 of chapter 11 in ‘The Complete Handbook of Home Video Systems’ (Reston, an imprint of Prentice-Hall) in 1981: “With the concurrent explosion in small computer sales and continual strong retail movement in VHS-type video cassette recorders, long-range predictions for the acceptance of a non-recording video disc medium remain unanswered.”

john_w
05-05-2006, 10:32 AM
IMO, DVD succeeded because:

1. The medium is physically light, compact and kinda familiar (looks like a CD)

2. Marketing, Marketing, MARKETING!!!

3. People finally started to realize that, for the most part, they weren't really re-playing their VHS recordings anyhow. (So why not just rent movies?)

4. For the few rare TV shows worth recording, we now have TIVO!

rcaman
05-05-2006, 10:33 AM
AHHH THE GOOD OLE DAYS. i sold about four or five hundred of those ced players at least. we rented the disc and on fridays you could not walk in the store for the people. we mand a lot of money off of the ced systems a lot. we are in a small town of about 2500 people. by the way the first model sold for $400.00 then at the end we were selling them at cost so we could rent the dics i believe $159.00 rented the disc for $3.00 each for 3 days. steve

Adam
05-05-2006, 03:30 PM
The belt that attatches to the motor that eventually moves that sliding arm slips, and the various gears it hooks to are a bit gunked up. But I moved the gears manually, and the arm is not stuck, it slides all the way foward and back, without much resistance. I'll replace that belt, and clean those gears, then it looks like it should work.

I got VHS, Beta, CED, Laser Disc, and DVD, and for the most part I watch DVDs because I can get the old shows I like on it, I but I have to say I really prefer the solidity of the older tape players and this CED player. When I go to hit the buttons on my DVD player the whole unit moves backwards. Not only that, but the fake wood covering on the CED also looks really nice sitting ontop of an older TV.

Celt
05-05-2006, 04:07 PM
The audio from the stereo versions of those players is quite spectacular as I recall. Those versions came with a composite video out and line level stereo out, along with the usual RF modualted output.

andy
05-05-2006, 04:32 PM
CED stereo audio is as good as analog laserdisk audio and has CX noise reduction just like LD. Unfortunately, not too many CEDs are in stereo. It's easy to spot stereo CEDs because the caddy is blue instead of white.

The selection of movies on CED is surprisingly good. I've got a small but growing collection of CEDs I've bought on ebay.

On the other hand, when LD first came out (called DiscoVision) it was mostly really really old stuff. I've looked through the entire list of DiscoVision titles and there were only a hand full I would ever want to watch.

Celt
05-05-2006, 04:39 PM
I have one MCA "DiscoVision" of "Coal Miners Daughter" that makes even the worst VHS copy look and sound glorious by comparison. But with a few exceptions like that, I still like the old LD format. I don't know what it is about CD's & DVD's. They just aren't as much fun. :no:

Chad Hauris
05-05-2006, 07:31 PM
I really need to get the CED players working that we own...have worked on some for customers but haven't got around to our own. Weren't the RCA units actually made in USA? The RCA players have the same kind of power cord as the RCA TV's of the time rather than a Japanese-type cord. We have a never used new in box RCA CED but the loading belt has gone bad on it.

When was it that DVD's really took off? Seemed like when I was in school in the mid-late 90's VCR's were still very popular...I first got a DVD player in 2003.
To me there is such an improvement in quality in the DVD over video tapes it is amazing.

I think also the price/value of DVD's has a lot to do with their popularity...even the cheapest $39.95 DVD player has far better picture quality than any VHS/Beta machine I have seen. The only thing that comes close is 3/4" VTR's.

Celt
05-05-2006, 07:33 PM
I really need to get the CED players working that we own...have worked on some for customers but haven't got around to our own. Weren't the RCA units actually made in USA?
I'm pretty sure the ones I saw were made in Indianapolis, IN.

andy
05-05-2006, 09:39 PM
I'm pretty sure the ones I saw were made in Indianapolis, IN.

I believe it's the only home video format (with any success) that was designed and manufactured in the US.

Those DiscoVision disks really were bad. I can clearly see defects in the Al coating on the few I have. One defect looks a lot like an insect wing! I've read that MCA pressed the disks in an audio record plant, but the conditions weren't nearly clean enough. I wonder how much better CED could have looked after another 10 years?

Celt
05-05-2006, 09:49 PM
I've had several LD's rot on me and become unplayable and also bought several new titles (back then) that had lots of video noise too. :( At least the CED discs didn't rot out.

Whirled One
05-05-2006, 10:22 PM
I really need to get the CED players working that we own...have worked on some for customers but haven't got around to our own. Weren't the RCA units actually made in USA? The RCA players have the same kind of power cord as the RCA TV's of the time rather than a Japanese-type cord. We have a never used new in box RCA CED but the loading belt has gone bad on it.

As far as I know, all of the RCA CED players were made in the USA, which makes the CED (almost) the only home-video format that has that particular distinction. [an exception might be the ill-fated Avco Cartrivision system of the early 70's]

Whirled One
05-05-2006, 10:49 PM
A belt goes bad and the stylus doesn't move, or doesn't move far, and so it just keeps repeating that same section. That's what happened with mine. I still don't have it right, as it skips a lot. The belts I have are not really right.

Yep, that's what'll happen. A new servo drive belt should fix the stuck/repeat-cycling problem, but, yeah, those belts do seem a bit touchy. Try running the rapid access/search buttons forward and back to make sure the mechanism is running correctly.

However, if your player is skipping a lot (almost always in a forward direction, not just jumping backwards and repeating the same small segment) and has generally 'noisy' video-- *and* it happens on all discs-- then I'd tend to suspect the stylus. My first CED player was a Hitachi-made Sears model that had a rather worn stylus when I got it. I didn't have a replacement stylus for it, but there was a trimmer pot on the "arm" that controlled the pre-amp gain; turning that up greatly reduced the skipping and reduced video noise, but that was a temporary solution.

I've noticed though that some discs just seem to skip a *lot* the first time they're played in a long while. On subsequent plays, though, they'll work fine with few or no skips. [The CED Magic site (www.cedmagic.com) refers to this phenomenon as "video virus" on its FAQ page.]