View Full Version : Who made Truetone?

veg-o-matic
01-05-2006, 09:18 PM
I was looking through a 1964 Western Auto catalog, and they had some interesting--to me--console sets. Black & white and some roundies.

Who made 'em? My first guess would be Wells-Gardner, but I'm basing that on nothing in particular :D

veg

kx250rider
01-06-2006, 01:59 AM
I've seen Truetones that were Admirals, Sanyos, Warwicks, and a myriad of others. Middle 60s I bet Sanyo or Sharp for smaller B&W sets, and Warwick for big consoles and color sets. Western Auto and W.T. Grant Stores had the same TV lineup, but Grants called them Bradford.

Charles

Adam
01-06-2006, 02:12 AM
I have a Truetone table radio that looks mid-late 30s. All I could find looking around in it is a piece of paper glued to the inside noting some patents by RCA. Although I don't think that necessarily means it is an RCA. All the tubes inside say 'Wizard', this is the only place I have ever seen the 'Wizard' tubes.

bgadow
01-06-2006, 01:42 PM
Some models of Truetones (as well as many models of Airlines) can be indentified by model #. For instance, the model might be WGC1234 which points straight to Wells-Gardner. Looking through the Sams index I actually found some W-G built Truetone color consoles from about 1980 or so. Thinking about it, I've seen a bunch of Truetone radios but don't recall ever seeing a Truetone TV in person (of any vintage).

Wizard was one of the names used by Western Auto. They used it on their major appliances, among other things. I have some Truetone sets from the 30s made by Detrola, Belmont & Wells-Gardner.

Eric H
01-06-2006, 07:31 PM
Not in person but here's a Truetone. Mod# 2D-3770B

The case is a rather shoddy thing with an ill fitting back and misaligned corners.