View Full Version : Recapping a SS set.

Eric H
03-15-2003, 08:29 PM
Here I go wasting some time and a few dollars on this 1982 Sears portable. Why? because it's there (here) :D

This was given to me a few weeks ago, it works but not well,
I have already located one open cap by the substitution method and figure there are probably more tired ones in there.

I have ordered 10 small Lytics from Mouser for a grand total of $1.50 + shipping, that's not all the caps but all of the ones in the sweep sections that I can see.

Funny how in these modern sets it's the Lytics that go bad and not the small caps, tho one of the lytics is a .47mf!

Anyway it's just for fun, it'll probably wind up in the trash when it still doesn't work right after I'm done :p:

Kamakiri
03-15-2003, 09:32 PM
Sounds like me recently. I recently found this 1985 Samsung 19" color in the trash a street over, in a huge pile of snow. Not knowing what possessed me, I threw it in the trunk of my car, adn brought the filthy snow-covered set in the basement room, and proceeded to brush the snow off, and set the TV on otwels on the floor. I let it sit for a day to dry off, and cleaned about a solid 1/2" of dust/dirt out of the inside. Plugged it in after freeing up the frozen controls, and it has a picture that's clear as a bell :)

Sometimes it's best not to question why.... ;)