View Full Version : Please Don't Let Them Kill It!

colortrakker
11-21-2005, 11:46 PM
If you squint real hard at the sucky cellphone pic (I'm new with that scene), you may just be able to make out the image of a 1965-era 23" Sylvania color console combo. The cabinet is in physically immaculate condition but the set "doesn't work". Nobody knows for sure what the problem is. The set's at a thrift in Allentown PA and is in danger of being thrown out real soon. Guess I'm gonna have to buy a house pretty soon so I can save stuff like this myself!

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze1waks/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/sylv.jpg

kx250rider
11-22-2005, 02:19 AM
NOTICE!!!! That could have a very rare item in it. Sylvania offered a special option around that time, and I have only ever seen one. A 35mm slide viewer that used a flying spot scanner and 3 phototubes to produce a color picture on the TV. Very crude! French actor/producer Roger Vadim had one at his Santa Monica house that I worked on in the early 80s. Really neat item that is totally useless, but rare! I only ever heard of one other one, which was junked in the 70s by Dunbar TV & Tube in LA. I saw parts that I recognized on their junk shelf as coming from one of those Sylvanias, and they confirmed it.

Charles

kc8adu
11-22-2005, 02:59 AM
NOTICE!!!! That could have a very rare item in it. Sylvania offered a special option around that time, and I have only ever seen one. A 35mm slide viewer that used a flying spot scanner and 3 phototubes to produce a color picture on the TV. Very crude! French actor/producer Roger Vadim had one at his Santa Monica house that I worked on in the early 80s. Really neat item that is totally useless, but rare! I only ever heard of one other one, which was junked in the 70s by Dunbar TV & Tube in LA. I saw parts that I recognized on their junk shelf as coming from one of those Sylvanias, and they confirmed it.

Charles
i bet its that one.
i have only seen one and the pic however bad seems to be of that set.
a real rare set even new.like the sears/cartrivision i had.

Tim
11-22-2005, 03:04 AM
One of those color slide theater sets sold on eBay about two years ago for $39.00 Here is a photo of it.

colortrakker
11-22-2005, 07:43 PM
I'd wager a good amount that there's a TT and radio in it at the very least. No chance to see if it's still there today. Must bring a regular camera to the store and get better pix if there's time.

Chad Hauris
11-22-2005, 10:08 PM
Can you rent a storage locker to enable you to get large TV's? That's what I used to do when I lived in an apartment

Adam
11-22-2005, 10:38 PM
Or just live in an apartment full of large tv's. I got 8 console sets (2 that size) in a 1 bedroom place. Some creative furniture arranging can allow one to fit lots of tv's in a small space, and you can use the space on top of the console sets to store your other stuff (like your smaller tv's).

Chad Hauris
11-22-2005, 10:54 PM
Oh I did that too, lived in an apartment on the 2nd floor and hauled those console TV's on a dolly up the stairs by myself. I must have had 30 TV's in that apartment. I really think it's the best investment you can make though to buy a house and there is help for the first time buyer.

kx250rider
11-23-2005, 03:20 AM
No, the trick is to start collecting old school buses too... A (nameless) TV collector in Palm Springs did that, and now he has 2 collections that are self-contained! :nutz:

Charles

Chad Hauris
11-23-2005, 04:30 PM
This is off the main topic but did you know that I actually do collect school buses too, I started collecting when I lived in an apartment and housed my first bus at the storage locker parking area!

http://www.retroaudiolab.com/vehiclephoto.htm

kx250rider
11-24-2005, 12:55 AM
No kidding!!?? I guess I should look into old school buses, since it seems popular among TV collectors :rockon:

The Palm Springs collector has a big old International school bus, and it is full of his parts TVs. The nice sets are in the house, grade B sets in the garage, grade C sets in the bus, and grade F sets in a pile in the desert behind the house... Still won't name him, but his last name is the same as a major baseball manufacturer :banana:

But before I get a bus, I have a dilemma. I have a space for one, but the only bus I would own would be a Toyota Coaster turbo-Diesel. And since they never sold those in North America, I might be out of luck... But at least I have the engine for one. The Coaster is about 24' , and could hold a nice quantity of TVs!

Charles

Carmine
11-24-2005, 10:49 AM
I just wanted to mention that I'm putting together a business plan to purchase a huge "big-box" building...

Link to the off-topic forum post (http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?p=497540#post497540)

If I can at all put this together, I'll no doubt have a few hundred sq.ft I can spare for TV storage. Because I also hate to see them scrapped, you guys could store them as long as I can manage! A big room full of old TVs would be the least of my worries, lol!

Wish me luck!

kx250rider
11-25-2005, 01:30 AM
Speaking of the devil!!!! Here's another 35mm slide projector Sylvania on eBay!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sylvania-Color-Television-Slide-Theatre-CFNP-20BT_W0QQitemZ6230153194QQcategoryZ3638QQrdZ1QQcmd ZViewItem

Charles

colortrakker
11-25-2005, 02:25 AM
Wow...not often you see something like that with a cassette. Pretty hip for the time, I imagine.