View Full Version : BIG Zenith on eBay

Eric H
11-08-2005, 11:35 PM
I guess this is a color set?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Zenith-Console-television-with-radio-and-record-player_W0QQitemZ5827573620QQcategoryZ73374QQrdZ1QQ cmdZViewItem

3Guncolor
11-09-2005, 12:59 AM
Could it be a gutted combo with a newer TV installed?

Steve

blue_lateral
11-09-2005, 01:05 AM
Zenith? naw..... Magnavox. I'll bet it's color.

David Roper
11-09-2005, 02:13 AM
Something doesn't add up. While OEM cable-ready TVs in big cabinets with stereo phonos do exist, that turntable looks way to old.

kx250rider
11-09-2005, 02:46 AM
Easy one! That's a Magnavox roundie from the mid 60s with a 90s Zenith TV retrofitted. See the auto contrast lens down near the floor in the middle, and the turntable and radio? Nice job, better than most I have done. But C'Mon; putting a Zenith with an A63AAx00x in there? From worst chassis ever to now worst CRT ever! Talk about a Chevy Vega updated with an Oldsmobile Diesel 350 engine!

Charles

Randy Bassham
11-09-2005, 08:09 AM
I don't see anything inconsistant with it being an all Magnavox set. It's one of the first TAC (total automatic color) sets, they had auto brightness and contrast. between the windows it says Magnavox. Seller probably thinks it's cable ready because it does have a 75 ohm coax connection on the back. It's tube TV probably a T951 or T962 chassis. I think it's a remote control set because you can see the hole for the ultrasonic sensor in the center of the bottom rail right under the CRT....

Bill R
11-09-2005, 10:57 AM
The face plate and crt look wrong for a Magnavox. I think it is a late 70 ish Magnavox combo with a 90's Zenith tv. Turntable is to new for it to have been a roundie. I am not sure Magnavox made any combos after they were bought by Philips in the 80's. It is definately not a t series Magnavox tv.

Bill R

kx250rider
11-09-2005, 12:43 PM
Bill R, I'll meet you in the middle.... On closer look, you're right about the turntable being a later series, so now I will bet on it being one of those early true 25" sets (with a 90s Zenith in it). I still say late 60s or early 70s because the turntable is silver, and they went black around '72 or so I recall.

THE WINDOWS below the screen are the UHF & VHF channel indicator windows. That was done on the all-tube 23" sets with remote. But what about the large round light sensor in the base???? That throws me because I thougth those went away in the 60s. The Total Auto Color (both tube & solid state) had the sensor embedded in the CRT mask and not in the wood base.

They did make an early 80s combo, with a unitized Phillips chassis like a 25C1 or something. But this isn't that one because those were real cheaply made with thinner plastic panels, etc. This is an older set.

CURVE BALL: Magnavox City here in Los Angeles had a program where they took trade-ins of early tube sets and put a new factory-authorized update to a T995 or something, and a 25" delta gun tube and sold as remanufactured sets. That was in 1980, I know for sure because I used to pass there every day on my way to school and I saw them in the window. Even the upright ones. They did a lot of them like that, I believe. Maybe this one is one of those that was RE-retrofitted with a Zenith?

Charles

captainmoody
11-09-2005, 07:26 PM
Don't know if this will help or not but I have a 1969 Maggie combo in what looks like the exact cabinet. The sensor you are mentioning might be the transducer for the remote. That is what mine has in the middle anyway.

captainmoody
11-09-2005, 07:36 PM
Oh, I found a picture of mine. It is in near new condition and works great! I even have a nos remote for it. Had to repair some bad solder connections and replace a few tubes to get it going last year. Picture quality is great and the astro-sonic stereo on it is awesome! Looks like that one on ebay was this model.

Bill R
11-10-2005, 08:44 PM
That cabinet certianly looks like the one on ebay. That is the crt and mask I was thinking about. I ment that the tv in the one on ebay was not a T series. The one that goes in it was probably a T951 or T962 like Randy mentioned. I have a T995 set. Mine was a 1978 model. This was the last year I think. In 1979 they changed to an inline tube. I do remember the Magnavox trade retrofits, but I never saw one. I also have not seen the 80's combo.

Bill R

Randy Bassham
11-10-2005, 09:55 PM
Pulled my service lit. the newest that set can be is 1969 model, it's got the dual drive wheel turntable and IIRC 69 was the last year for that turntable. That means it would have come with the T933 chassis if it's a 68 model and the T940 came out sometime in 1969 both would have had the old 25" tubes before the true 25's came out. I've got pictures of it in my Magnavox Service Manual Volume 7 and 8. Captain...if you need any schematics or service lit I've got it. I worked for a Magnavox dealer from late 60's through the end of 1979. A few years ago the store I worked for closed up and the owner retired, I wound up with all the service manuals and a lot of the leftover parts.

captainmoody
11-11-2005, 08:28 AM
Randy, Factory service lit for that set would be great! At this point I have nothing for it and even though it is working fine now I am sure I will need it at some point...

Randy Bassham
11-12-2005, 10:11 AM
Randy, Factory service lit for that set would be great! At this point I have nothing for it and even though it is working fine now I am sure I will need it at some point...
Send me a PM with your model number and address, I'll make some copies....