View Full Version : What would YOU had done?

rca2000
08-05-2005, 02:48 AM
I was on my thursday night route, and down in Northside(about 2 miles from Clifton, which was right in the MIDDLE of all of the "action", in 2001, )an area I call "one block over the Rhine", and I saw a Zenith 25" set,( NOT a roundie, I am SURE it wasn't, from the size of the back cap),and It was most likely a chromacolor I or a Hybrid(the back was facing me, I could NOT tell). Now, this area is NOT too good to be in, at 2:30 a.m., and many people were just "hanging around". Fearing for my safety, I did NOT get out of my locked minivan, to look at the set, and left the area.

After completing the rest of the route in College/North college hill, I decided to give the Zenith one more try. If there was no one around it, or down from it hanging around, I intended to look at it, and most lkely, if it was intact, get it.

So, I drove back the 5 or so miles, to get back to Northside. This time, no one seemed to be hanging around, so I grabbed my flashlight, and got out to look at the set. JUST as I got to the back of the van, I heard a woman, yell, and then, in a LOUD , Black male voice: Get the ##ck out fo here, you %##*&, and the rest, I could not make out. THAT was enough for me, I JUMPED in the van, released the brake, and took off, squealing tires all the way!! ( I did NOT want to be the target of someone running out of a house, in the middle of a domestic dispute, and seeing a "white boy outsider", in the area!!)

Would any of you had reacted any differently, or tried again? Remember, it was NOT a roundie, or early tube Rectangular set: it had the "small rounded, conical cup", that the hybrids and SS Chromacolor I sets had, but it was NOT a Chromacloor II.

OvenMaster
08-05-2005, 04:36 AM
Personally? I wouldn't have cared if it were a pot o' gold sitting there, there's no way I'm hanging around a neighborhood like that, risking getting hurt. Your own personal safety's number one, sir. There'll be another set with your name on it in a safer place.

Tom

Fisherdude
08-05-2005, 07:08 AM
I was in the middle of Springfield, IL, one night, just after a meeting had ended, and headed for the interstate. I thought I knew the way, but apparently not. I ended up in an area of "apartments" that didn't look all that good. Up ahead I saw a fire truck with lights flashing so I thought I'd ask directions.

I stopped, a fireman saw me, and quickly walked up to my car. As I rolled down the window, he stuck in his head and asked: "What the fuck are you doing here??? Are you trying to get yourself killed???" I quickly explained that I was lost, and he said to turn around, go three blocks, then turn left, and went on to say: "And whatever you do, DON'T STOP!!"

You were lucky. Pick another neighborhood next time.

Chad Hauris
08-05-2005, 08:58 AM
I would NOT have gone looking through the trash at 2:30 AM. Only do this in the daylight hours in safe places or people will get the wrong idea about what you are doing.

Sandy G
08-05-2005, 10:25 AM
Uhhh, yeah, bein' a Honky in Da Hood in the wee small hours is prolly not TOO healthful...I've heard stories about Over-the-Rhine all the way down here. Apparently it was once a solid working-class neighborhood full of Germans, as both Cincinnati & Dayton were...Once upon a time..but not anymore.-Sandy G.

compucat
08-05-2005, 02:38 PM
If you really wanted to get out of a place like that with that set, you should have shouted "Gimme that Zeniff before I bust a cap in yo bee-hind!" Nobody would have even questioned your presence. As it is, that set will likely be destroyed.

NowhereMan 1966
08-06-2005, 12:07 AM
I was on my thursday night route, and down in Northside(about 2 miles from Clifton, which was right in the MIDDLE of all of the "action", in 2001, )an area I call "one block over the Rhine", and I saw a Zenith 25" set,( NOT a roundie, I am SURE it wasn't, from the size of the back cap),and It was most likely a chromacolor I or a Hybrid(the back was facing me, I could NOT tell). Now, this area is NOT too good to be in, at 2:30 a.m., and many people were just "hanging around". Fearing for my safety, I did NOT get out of my locked minivan, to look at the set, and left the area.

After completing the rest of the route in College/North college hill, I decided to give the Zenith one more try. If there was no one around it, or down from it hanging around, I intended to look at it, and most lkely, if it was intact, get it.

So, I drove back the 5 or so miles, to get back to Northside. This time, no one seemed to be hanging around, so I grabbed my flashlight, and got out to look at the set. JUST as I got to the back of the van, I heard a woman, yell, and then, in a LOUD , Black male voice: Get the ##ck out fo here, you %##*&, and the rest, I could not make out. THAT was enough for me, I JUMPED in the van, released the brake, and took off, squealing tires all the way!! ( I did NOT want to be the target of someone running out of a house, in the middle of a domestic dispute, and seeing a "white boy outsider", in the area!!)

Would any of you had reacted any differently, or tried again? Remember, it was NOT a roundie, or early tube Rectangular set: it had the "small rounded, conical cup", that the hybrids and SS Chromacolor I sets had, but it was NOT a Chromacloor II.

Oy Veh!!! Well, I have a hybrid Chromacolor I myself, my 1970 Zenith. Still you did the right thing. We all love our TVs, radios and so on, but it ain't worth risking your life over. Plus if you are not around (the "you" can be any of us), then what is the sense of enjoy the use and repair of our old stuff anyhoo? Plus even more important is our value to our families and the like, no TV is worth the risk.

"Over the Rhine," well being a student of Victorian/Edwardian literature and other stuff that I am, I've found out what the term meant in David Graham Phillips' "Susan Lenox - Her Rise and Fall" where he described "over the Rhine" as where the German immigrants lived. Many Germans kept a lot of their customs and referred to the canal as "The Rhine." Of course, from your post, I think "Over the Rhine" has changed from Phillips' time when he wrote the book (1908). :p BTW, the author was born in Madison, Indiana but is familiar with Cincinnati among his travels. Just a little OT rambling, but at least I know what you mean by "Over the Rhine." :D

I know the Chromacolor is a hybrid, tube, transistor and even integrated circuit chips from what I have here.

NowhereMan 1966
08-06-2005, 12:15 AM
I was in the middle of Springfield, IL, one night, just after a meeting had ended, and headed for the interstate. I thought I knew the way, but apparently not. I ended up in an area of "apartments" that didn't look all that good. Up ahead I saw a fire truck with lights flashing so I thought I'd ask directions.

I stopped, a fireman saw me, and quickly walked up to my car. As I rolled down the window, he stuck in his head and asked: "What the fuck are you doing here??? Are you trying to get yourself killed???" I quickly explained that I was lost, and he said to turn around, go three blocks, then turn left, and went on to say: "And whatever you do, DON'T STOP!!"

You were lucky. Pick another neighborhood next time.

My parents had a similar story. Back in 1961, they and my aunt and uncle when to New York City for a trip. They went in my parents new 1961 Buick Special. Well they took a wrong turn and ended up, you guessed it, in Harlem and they stopped at a red light. Theyh ad lots of eyes on them and people were starting to gather around so when the light turned green, up went the windows, the car's A/C was turned on and my father peeled out of there.

I used to work for a truck rental company, sometimes we had to run cars and trucks around and one time we had to pick up a truck in a rough section of Pittsburgh. Well I hit he button to lock the doors, the guy with me kind of snickered. I said to him that "you're a 6' 5" Marine (he was in the Corps) while I'm just a 5' 7.5" nearsighted guy not too adept at fisticuffs." :D When I go into places like that, not too often, thank God, there are times I wish I had the German Luger my grandfather brought back from World War II. :p

Nothing is worth jeopardizing our safety over.

NowhereMan 1966
08-06-2005, 12:18 AM
If you really wanted to get out of a place like that with that set, you should have shouted "Gimme that Zeniff before I bust a cap in yo bee-hind!" Nobody would have even questioned your presence. As it is, that set will likely be destroyed.

:lmao:

Or just yelled "Poe-Leese!!!" (Police) :D