View Full Version : Naming modern sets

veg-o-matic
05-19-2005, 02:47 PM
Colortrakker's post about his Panasonic "Batesfield" got me to thinking about sets with names. If manufacturers were to start doing this today, the names would have to be significantly different from the elegant names of yesteryear. I guess we'd have:

The Magnavox Generica Mark IV
The RCA Crappington
Zenith La Merdienne
Daewoo Blacque Box Concours D'Elegance

Any others?

andy
05-19-2005, 07:45 PM
How about the LG MouldStar (because LG used to be called GoldStar).

colortrakker
05-19-2005, 08:04 PM
The GE Clonewood. A fake RCA with fake wood cabinet.

Big Dave
05-19-2005, 09:13 PM
Any manufacturer: Piezeashit.

wa2ise
05-19-2005, 11:32 PM
The Sony Suckyshita....

"The quality runs out when the nameplate falls off!"

RetroHacker
05-20-2005, 06:28 AM
I know a genuine Panaphonics when I see one. And look - there's Magnetbox and Sorny.

-Ian

tv beta guy
05-20-2005, 06:37 AM
I know a genuine Panaphonics when I see one. And look - there's Magnetbox and Sorny.

Somebody's been watching the Simpsons :lmao:

compucat
05-20-2005, 07:18 AM
Anyone remember the Sharp "Lynitron"? Obviously it was trying to place itself in the league with Sony counting on the fact that most consumers can't tell the difference.

The era of model names for TVs and radios reflects a time when these were not mere appliances as they are thought of by most people today. They were treasured possesions, fine peices of furniture, often the focal point of a room. I still think of these items this way, even the two silver box TVs that are the main sets in my house (27" JVC and 27" Samsung HDTV).

fredh
05-20-2005, 07:34 AM
And don't forget the great Suckahatchi televisions

compucat
05-20-2005, 10:08 AM
There was also Maggot Box, Samsucks, Emersucks and anything with the word "tech" in the brand name.

Sandy G
05-20-2005, 10:38 AM
Hard to think of ANYONE getting the Warm 'n' Fuzzies over any of the new dreck we have now....30,40,50 yrs down the road....my R-390As will still be doing fine, thank you, 50 yrs from now if someone just gives them a modicum of care after I'm gone...assuming there'll still be AM transmissions then...-Sandy G.

joe_tbird
05-20-2005, 04:33 PM
Hard to think of ANYONE getting the Warm 'n' Fuzzies over any of the new dreck we have now....30,40,50 yrs down the road....my R-390As will still be doing fine, thank you, 50 yrs from now if someone just gives them a modicum of care after I'm gone...assuming there'll still be AM transmissions then...-Sandy G.

------------------------------

I think that's the point. It seems most managers of companies making consumer products have figured out that they shouldn't instill pride of ownership, otherwise people would hold onto their products too long. Instead, the idea is make them generic and sell on "today's new features" that make last year's model obsolete. If everyone held onto their sets for 50 years, who would be buying new ones? I can't remember the manager's name at General Motors who coined the idea "Planned obsolescence" but that's exactly how most consumer products are marketed today.

My $0.02 worth,
Joe

jasonlava
05-24-2005, 12:27 PM
> Zenith La Merdienne

:lmao:

A woman who sh*ts alot. How loverly.

Randy Bassham
05-24-2005, 01:45 PM
Organic, for the NAP and Sony big screens that grow cultures in the petre dishes in front of the CRT's ......