View Full Version : Upright Magnavox on eBay

Eric H
01-08-2005, 03:42 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=73374&item=5743052731&rd=1

jstout66
01-08-2005, 12:32 PM
What a beast! In the sellers pictures you can tell from the remote that this is a "Star" system which I think came out in 1975. The set would be solid-state. The seller says used until 1990 when the color went bad and it has sat unplugged ever since. I bet the sellers parents had a repairman out and I am guessing the picture tube went bad. The reason I am guessing this is because I remember those early solid-state Magnavox's with in-line tubes (which the Star System would have) didn't last very long and were quite pricey. I remember my repairman Uncle hated those Magnavoxes because they were one of the first to use bonded yokes and at that time I think you had to use a Magnavox tube which were expensive. If he got one in on a trade with a bad picture tube it got pitched. I don't know if any rebuilders started offering those tubes. I think the Star System were also one of the first to use OSD. The seller has it priced cheap tho, but man..... can you imagine loading that set up?!?

kc8adu
01-08-2005, 07:23 PM
iirc the star system sets were t995 chassis with a delta gun crt.

Chad Hauris
01-09-2005, 12:55 PM
From my experience only the 15", 17" and 19" 70's solid state magnavox used the inline tube...the 25" was the delta gun crt.

Big Dave
01-09-2005, 01:57 PM
I have successfully replaced the CRT's in those sets with regular 25" tubes. I did make some rigging to hold the tubes in place. Otherwise, the tubes went in nicely.

Bill R
01-09-2005, 02:30 PM
Magnavox star system was t995 chassis and used delta gun crt. They didn't have bonded yoke, and was one of the best sets made at the time. I still have one and the crt , while weak now, still would make a usable picture. The star system ended in 1978. 1979 was when the inline tubes with bonded yokes came out. MSRP on a new star system in 1978 was $1295.00. I bought mine mew directly from the distrubitor for $850.00 ( could have had the 1979 model for the same price, but I didn't like the inline tube as well ). I had a color problem with it while it was under warrenty, and when I told them at the repair center they handed me a box of modules and said you can fix it as well as we can, just keep what you need and bring the rest back next time you are in ( chroma processor module was bad caused no blue in pic ). They would have come out and fixed it, but it would have been a day or two. Bet I couldn't get that kind of service today. I bought another new Maggie in 1984. A C5 chassis. Still works although the crt is soft. Set was on an average of 16 to 18 hours per day everyday. Only problem was a bad flyback several years ago.
Would like to have that vertical combo in my bedroom. Shipping would be out of the question though. Now If only I could find one here in TN.
Bill R

oofietoo
03-16-2005, 07:18 PM
Hey guys
My name is michael and I am the one that bought this "beast". I have a dear love of Magnavox stereo's with TV's as they were made in Greeneville Tn which is where I am from and have several family members help construct these things.This is my second armoire,and I also have two of the horizontal units.The first one I got for 100 dollars and it still works perfectly,just like in 1969 when it was made......Have a good one...........Michael