View Full Version : GE 14T009 yoke question

Kamakiri
11-16-2016, 08:34 AM
Just got done with the resto on this set (your typical 14" GE metal portable from the 50s) but I can't seem to figure out the order of components for the yoke. Should have taken a pic of it before I took it apart like I usually would, but for some reason I didn't.....

Findm-Keepm
11-16-2016, 08:42 AM
Dunno if it'll help....

http://www.antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12935

Kamakiri
11-16-2016, 08:45 AM
It's not the wiring, it's the actual parts. There's the yoke, a yoke clamp, a centering ring assembly, another cone, and the ion trap. I just need a couple good pics of the order by which everything goes back together.....

dieseljeep
11-16-2016, 11:31 AM
It's not the wiring, it's the actual parts. There's the yoke, a yoke clamp, a centering ring assembly, another cone, and the ion trap. I just need a couple good pics of the order by which everything goes back together.....
What service information did you use to do the resoration? If it's a Sams, there should be a rear view picture of the set.
IIRC, the yoke is first, the cone next, tapered end toward the winding, clamp next and then the centering device and ion trap. The clamp and cone should look like it goes together like that. :scratch2:

Kamakiri
11-16-2016, 12:09 PM
I have the Sams, but the illustration doesn't show a lot at that point.

Is there a collar that comes after the centering device and before the ion trap? I have one that I *think* belongs to this set but I'm not sure.

The rest I'm pretty sure I have right. I have to take the thing back apart again anyway..... believe I have an open resistor at the base of the 1X2 that is *not* going to be fun to get to....

Eric H
11-16-2016, 12:11 PM
As I remember the yoke goes on first, then the shallow cone thing pushes into the yoke (pointy end towards the yoke) to hold and center it, then the centering ring assembly then the Ion trap.

Electronic M
11-16-2016, 01:08 PM
If I could see the parts I think I could tell you....I've restored three of that family.
Why did you dismantle the yoke assembly? I had no trouble getting my yokes off whole and using a test CRT.

Ooh, BTW if the vertical is not working properly there will not be enough horizontal to noticeably light the 1X2 or a neon bulb held near the AC portions of the HV....I had a dog set with that issue and went so far as swapping the fly before I finally figured it out....In frustration I cranked my variac to 140V and a faint horizontal line appeared. Looking carefully reveals the vertical can really mess up the horizontal in some cases.

Eric H
11-16-2016, 08:30 PM
Here's some pictures if you still need them.