View Full Version : 1965 RCA console tape input

bradclinard5
03-11-2016, 10:23 PM
Anyone have an idea of what type of input plug is used to play a reel to reel into my 1965 rca tv console ?
It reads tape on the lower left back side and I noticed a small 3 prong female input jack. Where would I find one if available ?

old_tv_nut
03-11-2016, 10:42 PM
does it look like one of these?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XLR_connector

I wonder if they would have used such an expensive professional connector on a TV.

dieseljeep
03-12-2016, 09:38 AM
does it look like one of these?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XLR_connector

I wonder if they would have used such an expensive professional connector on a TV.

The one the O/P is referring to is that small bakelite three prong plug that RCA used for several years on their console internal connectors, like changer audio to amplifier.

jr_tech
03-12-2016, 11:29 AM
My parents had an old RCA stereo about the same vintage, that used small inline 3 prong connectors perhaps like the one described by the OP... I just harvested the pins off of an old octal tube and soldered the wires to 3 pins and stuck them in the socket one at a time... a kludge, but it worked fine. Never did find a source for the proper plug (or even a name for it).

jr

Captainclock
03-13-2016, 04:55 PM
My Sears Silvertone Stereo from 1962 which is all tube powered by the way, has a similar plug on the back of it for a tape input, plugin is shaped like an oval and has 3 small pins that are aligned horizontally inline within the oval shaped socket. Of course I as well have been unable to locate a proper plug for that particular socket. What's funny is that my stereo has a phono selection for the mode switch but not a tape selection, which makes me wonder how one would of used the tape input on the back of my Silvertone stereo. :scratch2:

Olorin67
03-13-2016, 06:23 PM
if there isn't a separate switch, or a position on the selector, there is probably a switch built into the jack, similar to the speaker cut out switches on many headphone jacks, that cut off the speaker when you use headphones. Some FM multiplex jacks have switches too, my Motorola console has a switch built into the jacks that combines the channels, unless you plug in an FM demultiplexer. Then when you plug in a stereo Fm converter, it switches the input to the jacks for the output of the demultiplexer. Otherwise they would have had to add an extra switch, or another position on the selector switch.

Captainclock
03-14-2016, 10:39 AM
if there isn't a separate switch, or a position on the selector, there is probably a switch built into the jack, similar to the speaker cut out switches on many headphone jacks, that cut off the speaker when you use headphones. Some FM multiplex jacks have switches too, my Motorola console has a switch built into the jacks that combines the channels, unless you plug in an FM demultiplexer. Then when you plug in a stereo Fm converter, it switches the input to the jacks for the output of the demultiplexer. Otherwise they would have had to add an extra switch, or another position on the selector switch.

Ah, OK that makes sense, it took me a while to understand what you were talking about at first but then I figured it out. :yes:

bradclinard5
03-14-2016, 06:41 PM
the jack is actually 3 holes horizontal from left to right in straight line and looking at the turntable it uses the same 3 small male prongs that plug into the receiver. This is a combo tv/stereo/phono set. I take it this was an accessory cord that probably came with an RCA reel tot reel audio out hookup. I was hoping to find one as ive cheked ebay and all the tape decks have no such adapter cord that i seen again this would be a 1965 set.

Electronic M
03-14-2016, 09:01 PM
If there is no switch I'd check and make sure the socket is actually wired to the chassis (I've seen enough un-wired accessory sockets to never assume they are connected).

I've got an RCA FM MPX adapter that has a similar plug to what you describe. In your boat, assuming the plug actually is wired in, I'd just convert it to a RCA or 1/4" headphone connector and be done with it.