View Full Version : 13 inch set question

rose14
10-11-2015, 07:43 AM
Does anyone use a 13'' set as their main set? I am thinking about doing this as the picture is very clear and no scan lines. How far back do you sit. Any comments would be nice. Thanks for any info.

zeno
10-11-2015, 09:08 AM
Some people do. Distance is what you are comfortable with.
If you want to read things you may have to get too close.
At that point a top of line 20" cube style set may work
better. They are free or small money. If it looks too grainy
just turn the sharpness down.

73 Zeno:smoke:

Olorin67
10-11-2015, 10:28 AM
In college all I had for color was a 13" commodore computer monitor, great picture, much better than most 13" tvs. Worked OK in a small dorm room where you wernt sitting too far away.

ZackN920
10-11-2015, 10:58 AM
I used to use a 13" as my personal main/gaming tv. That one has a nice sharp
Pic as well. Anyway's if I remember right, I think I liked to be 4-8 ft from it. I could watch it farther away but can't read the likes of news feeds on the bottom of the screen.
About the same distance away too when I was enjoying my Portacolor-10" screen.

Is your 13" a vaccuum tube tv?

dieseljeep
10-11-2015, 01:26 PM
Some people do. Distance is what you are comfortable with.
If you want to read things you may have to get too close.
At that point a top of line 20" cube style set may work
better. They are free or small money. If it looks too grainy
just turn the sharpness down.

73 Zeno:smoke:

For some reason, I keep going back to my small screen sets.
Sony is still my favorite, but my 9" sets, like the Zenith cubes are great too.
I just have a terrible weakness for smaller screen color sets. I still have to count them. My estimate would be 40+ sets. :thmbsp:

TVTim
10-11-2015, 03:13 PM
For some reason, I keep going back to my small screen sets.
Sony is still my favorite, but my 9" sets, like the Zenith cubes are great too.
I just have a terrible weakness for smaller screen color sets. I still have to count them. My estimate would be 40+ sets. :thmbsp:

Another great thing about small sets is they don't take up a lot of room and are very easy to transport.

rose14
10-11-2015, 06:52 PM
No it is not a vaccum tube set. Dvds also look nice on this set, small picture though. We may move our sitting position up to 3-4 feet ,then back to 6-7 feet to get the living room back to walk in when we are done watching. . Thanks for the feedback. Also the motion on a crt is so wonderful compared to many of the modern sets.

dieseljeep
10-11-2015, 07:37 PM
On my GE shelf, I have three GE Porta-Colors and a Samsung-built, GE 9" set, probably built in the mid-80's. While my Porta-Colors are in great shape, they still don't have the picture quality of the 9" GE set.
I guess, I get spoiled watching a really good color picture and I'm a little hard to please.
I, personally would rather watch a really good B/W set, than a boarderline color picture. :scratch2:

bgadow
10-11-2015, 09:44 PM
In college all I had for color was a 13" commodore computer monitor, great picture, much better than most 13" tvs. Worked OK in a small dorm room where you wernt sitting too far away.

I also used one of these as my main TV for several years, hooked to a cheap VCR. Excellent picture. Until this summer we still had a 13" bedroom set, and it saw more hours than our living room set. The last one was a 90's RCA. We'd still be using it but somebody gave me a 19" GE. Really, I wouldn't want to watch a 13" at much more than 10'.

AUdubon5425
10-11-2015, 10:04 PM
I had a 13" Sears tv in my living room for about a year...guess I sat about 6-8 feet away. Had a 19" b&w Zenith in the bedroom because it was easier to see from the bed.

Celt
10-12-2015, 12:39 PM
Agreed...I used a 13" Aiwa as my main TV for many years. Sat 6' to 8' away. Was perfectly fine.

Jon A.
10-12-2015, 03:45 PM
Another great thing about small sets is they don't take up a lot of room and are very easy to transport.
My thoughts exactly. My ideal screen size is 19" though. It's fairly easy to get someone to drop one off if he or she is headed my way. I've even gotten away with hauling them home by bus. Also, they bring people closer together than huge flat screens, don't you think?