View Full Version : Got 2 new toys, cant get info.

Cruiseomatic
07-08-2015, 08:09 PM
I acquired 2 sets from a friend who's parents bought the sets new and been in the family since. One is a Motorola 23bu180bs and the other is a Zenith C2424. Both are fully original and beautiful.

Boobtubeman
07-08-2015, 08:14 PM
AWwww the first pic is of a tv i got for my 16th b day... Good performer and an awesome DXer back in the day... :D

SR

Cruiseomatic
07-08-2015, 08:23 PM
All I know so far is what he told me. B/w all tube, 1960s. Him and his family watched the first shuttle launch on the Motorola. BTW, I do have the legs to both sets.

bgadow
07-08-2015, 10:01 PM
Nice, clean sets. Glad you could save them!

Cruiseomatic
07-09-2015, 01:32 AM
Wish I could find information about them but nothing comes up either model.

rca2000
07-09-2015, 01:38 AM
Moto is a TS-589Y--in sams 841-1

For the Zenith...you will need to pull the back since the model # is gone and find the chassis # Something like 14N22 or such, on the rear of the chassis , or on the flyback cage in the middle of the chassis.

Electronic M
07-09-2015, 01:50 AM
On Zeniths always start your search with the chassis number since the same # chassis is found in a variety of cabinets each cabinet recieving a different model #.

dieseljeep
07-09-2015, 08:54 AM
On Zeniths always start your search with the chassis number since the same # chassis is found in a variety of cabinets each cabinet recieving a different model #.

Their home must've been furnished in the yuckie early American style.
You can see the chassis number on the Zenith model label, 14N22.
See all the letters preceeding the chassis number on the Motorola? There must've been a load of engineering changes on the chassis. :D
BTW, are you going to be at the Terminal Sunday morning? Dave. :banana:

zeno
07-09-2015, 09:07 AM
The Zenith is a 14N22 chassis THE BEST B&W sets built
by anyone anywhere at any time. They were made for 7 yrs IIRC.
They are easy to fix and are almost immortal. A lot of the
cats here have one or the previous chassis that it evolved from.
The sets is hand wired "no production shortcuts here" as
they say.

The Moto is also a high quality set. Its probably hand wired too.
Not very common. Both fun projects IF they even need work.

73 Zeno:smoke:

dieseljeep
07-09-2015, 09:17 AM
The Zenith is a 14N22 chassis THE BEST B&W sets built
by anyone anywhere at any time. They were made for 7 yrs IIRC.
They are easy to fix and are almost immortal. A lot of the
cats here have one or the previous chassis that it evolved from.
The sets is hand wired "no production shortcuts here" as
they say.

The Moto is also a high quality set. Its probably hand wired too.
Not very common. Both fun projects IF they even need work.

I rescued a 14N22 basic metal table model. I think it's one of the last ones built. Seems funny that Zenith kept the same chassis number for that many years running. The letter in the chassis number usually designated the model year.
I guess they figured, why mess with a good thing. :scratch2:

rca2000
07-09-2015, 02:55 PM
I sometimes DO wonder:WHY Zenith went wit that chassis for so LONG? After all...they DID go to a much more HYBRID chassis for their smaller sets. an 8-tube hybrid set (8YB46 or something) and the 4 or 5 tube hybrid for the 13" sets (12CB12X and such). but NOT on the 23" set--they STAYED with the 1966 design till the END of tube BW.,

zeno
07-09-2015, 06:35 PM
You really cant improve on it IMHO. Major chassii seem to run in four
year cycles plus overlap on both ends. Also B&W console sales were
all but gone by 1970. I started in 1970 & we had no console B&W on the floor & maybe 5 sales a year. Not that we were small, did 300-400K IIRC
in Zenith. So in 4 yrs you know its gonna be a SS set,
why spend on designing a hybrid when the market is dying ?
So they milk it for as long as they can til production got too expensive
& used the already designed 19" B&W chassis.

I never seen the insides of a SS Zenith console B&W. I did sell a few
out of the book to oldsters. I ?THINK? they put the dura module
B&W chassis in a few apx 1970 then ended consoles with the little
upright chassis from the 19".

I sometimes DO wonder:WHY Zenith went wit that chassis for so LONG? After all...they DID go to a much more HYBRID chassis for their smaller sets. an 8-tube hybrid set (8YB46 or something) and the 4 or 5 tube hybrid for the 13" sets (12CB12X and such). but NOT on the 23" set--they STAYED with the 1966 design till the END of tube BW.,

Electronic M
07-09-2015, 06:44 PM
Their home must've been furnished in the yuckie early American style.
You can see the chassis number on the Zenith model label, 14N22.
See all the letters preceeding the chassis number on the Motorola? There must've been a load of engineering changes on the chassis. :D
BTW, are you going to be at the Terminal Sunday morning? Dave. :banana:

Yeah, I've never been into early American style sets either.

I had been hoping to drive my car to the MARC Extravaganza meet, but the starter motor issue, and my folks not letting me borrow one of their cars for it has kinda ruined that plan...So I'll probably be at the WARCI meet instead.

dieseljeep
07-09-2015, 07:15 PM
Yeah, I've never been into early American style sets either.

I had been hoping to drive my car to the MARC Extravaganza meet, but the starter motor issue, and my folks not letting me borrow one of their cars for it has kinda ruined that plan...So I'll probably be at the WARCI meet instead.

The WARCI was the one I was referring to! Sunday morning.
I'll be in Milwaukee on both days. The SMARC meet on Saturday morn and WARCI on Sunday. Hope to see you on Sunday morning. :yes:

drh4683
07-10-2015, 11:56 AM
You really cant improve on it IMHO. Major chassii seem to run in four
year cycles plus overlap on both ends. Also B&W console sales were
all but gone by 1970. I started in 1970 & we had no console B&W on the floor & maybe 5 sales a year. Not that we were small, did 300-400K IIRC
in Zenith. So in 4 yrs you know its gonna be a SS set,
why spend on designing a hybrid when the market is dying ?
So they milk it for as long as they can til production got too expensive
& used the already designed 19" B&W chassis.

Exactly!

That Zenith b/w you have is very special though. Being a "C" line makes it a very scarce 1972 model which was the VERY LAST year Zenith built tube type b/w consoles. I'd certainly hang onto that one.

The Motorola is very nice too. It's about a '66 model. The "E" in the serial number means it was built at the Motorola plant in Elgin, IL. That too is a keeper! Very nice finds.

Cruiseomatic
07-11-2015, 03:28 PM
Thanks. Where can I find service info or literature on these two? I saw them today and the temptation to power them up is strong but didn't. Especially since the only a/c I can get them is modified sine wave. The only bad thing about the Motorola is control knobs are VERY loose and the vhf indicator on the zenith is cracked. That's just quick look at them, I haven't dug into them. Although they both do need cleaned.

rca2000
07-11-2015, 07:46 PM
Sams photofact is best place for moto. 841..folder 1

Your Zenith is a VERY late model of the incredible 14N22 chassis...so set 1095, folder 3