View Full Version : 1971 Zenith 20BC50 23" Chromacolor tv

consoleguy67
07-07-2015, 06:31 PM
What is the general opinion of the above mentioned set? I have one, and it seems to me like it was one of Zenith's better sets.

dieseljeep
07-07-2015, 07:36 PM
What is the general opinion of the above mentioned set? I have one, and it seems to me like it was one of Zenith's better sets.

The set was similar to the 1970 model 14A9C50. It was on the lower end of the 1971 model year. The 12B14C50 was the TOTL hybrid model that year.
It actually was a pretty good set. I don't know why Zenith changed the chassis number designations, as the first two numbers designated the tube count. That chassis didn't have twenty tubes, more like twelve or so.
Still, I wouldn't kick it to the curb, they are good performers. :thmbsp:

Electronic M
07-07-2015, 08:50 PM
If it is a hybrid with a SS IF module in a can then it probably will have a surprisingly crisp clear picture. I've got a 1971 12B13C52 (if memory serves) 23" in the Boyden cabinet, and as far as picture detail and reliability go I LOVE it....It has been my main set and one of two I watch simultaneously for better than half a decade now.

If yours has chroma video out xistors and the screen starts intermittently shifting towards a primary color swap that that transistor with another and see if the problem also switches primaries....That problem drove me crazy for a year since it would never do it when I tried to service it.