View Full Version : Sony Trinitron TV Model KV-1340

tvcollector
08-21-2014, 06:47 PM
I got this off eBay, and it works for the most part.. does need a recap job.. I thought these were model CVM-1225.. It says KV-1340.. I did a Google search of this model number I get sets that are more of a modern style.. Tested the tube on my Sencore CR70 and it's got great emissions on all three guns, life test the needle drops real fast into the bad on all guns, but I think that may be a compatible issue between the tester and the tube..

http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd458/vintageceilingfans/Sony%20Trinitron%20TV%20Model%20KV-1340/IMG_2622.jpg
http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd458/vintageceilingfans/Sony%20Trinitron%20TV%20Model%20KV-1340/IMG_2613.jpg
http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd458/vintageceilingfans/Sony%20Trinitron%20TV%20Model%20KV-1340/IMG_2632.jpg
http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd458/vintageceilingfans/Sony%20Trinitron%20TV%20Model%20KV-1340/DSCF1925.jpg

zeno
08-21-2014, 07:06 PM
Theory......
Sony didnt go to 13" sets till the mid 80's.
This is a pre SG613 set which makes it early 70's.
The back was obsolete by abt '75 when they went to
an all plastic cab. SG-613 set.
Looks like another tag was screwed over the model ##.
Has KV13 designation because the back was desitined to
go to Canada or another place that used the 13" "size".
So our consumer equivalent is a KV12??

73 Zeno:smoke:

Eric H
08-21-2014, 07:08 PM
Nice set, those early Sony's were distinctive looking.
I'm not sure a life test means much on these, tube heats quickly and probably cools quickly as well, as long as the emissions are god I'd be happy.

Dave A
08-21-2014, 07:36 PM
I'm looking at the four connectors on the back. 3 old-style UHF and one 8-pin. Tried to blow up the pic but no joy. The UHF are ins and outs of some sort. The 8-pin would have been for a 3/4" UMatic of the day. Lottsa connectors for a retail set and switches on the front for all. More to this set than we know now. I have a similar but later 13" with a second RF input on the front at the bottom. An early gaming input I suspect.

jr_tech
08-21-2014, 07:44 PM
looks like a CVM-1225 monitor to me, I agree that the correct tag has been removed.
jr

dieseljeep
08-21-2014, 07:51 PM
Theory......

If you look at the ratings label, you'll see it was made the Japanese market.
100 volts, 50,60 hz. Also no U/L or CSA listing. :scratch2:

Robb
08-21-2014, 08:11 PM
Looks ok.. a bit beat up though
How much did you pay ?

tvcollector
08-21-2014, 08:22 PM
Looks ok.. a bit beat up though
How much did you pay ?

It looks fine to me.. I don't know what you are talking about it being beat beat up.. Only thing that is wrong is the handle is missing and putty is put in to fill the wholes, and even that is barely noticeable..

Robb
08-21-2014, 08:25 PM
Only thing that is wrong is the handle is missing and putty is put in to fill the wholes, and even that is barely noticeable..

Only ?
Missing AN-14 antenna too.

Now do a comparison on condition....
LINK (https://www.flickr.com/photos/robcrx/sets/72157642552758503/)

Jon A.
08-21-2014, 08:37 PM
It could use a bit of a cleaning, which I certainly wouldn't have a problem with, or a missing/broken handle for that matter. I'd probably find another handle and re-drill the holes, if I decided to go even that far. Can't be too picky unless you're buying new.

Robb
08-21-2014, 08:43 PM
Theory......

The orig red tag was removed and probably used on another set.
Someone probably used this set for parts...

http://s14.postimg.org/ox7e0k7sh/untitled.jpg

I dont mean to sound harsh, just stating the facts and opinions.

Also, check the inners - parts could have been swapped out as well !

Geoff Bourquin
08-21-2014, 08:44 PM
Am I seeing correctly.....Letters on the UHF dial, not numbers?

Robb
08-21-2014, 08:46 PM
Am I seeing correctly.....Letters on the UHF dial, not numbers?

That is because this set was used as a Professional monitor.

tvcollector
08-21-2014, 08:48 PM
yes they are letters.. Like the CVM-1225.. The plug looks Japanese also..

I did a search on KV-1340 and and this is the link I got to radio museum.. 1975 with a question mark, and the pictures are showing a late 80s, or 90s model.. I think they have it wrong..

http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/sony_kv_1340e.html?language_id=2

andy
08-21-2014, 08:49 PM

tvcollector
08-21-2014, 08:49 PM
That is because this set was used as a Professional monitor.

I paid $120 plus shipping.. Seeing how it's a set I've been wanting.. The condition that it's in, I'd say the price is fair.. More than what you are willing to pay for a Portacolor?

Jon A.
08-21-2014, 08:58 PM
Whatever the mods are, if any, consider it part of the set's history. The original owners of my 1988 Zenith console screwed a small knife switch to the back panel for antenna selection. That left a couple of non-original holes, but whatever. Not only am I leaving the switch there, I tightened a loose terminal on it.

tvcollector
08-22-2014, 01:19 AM
Someone was wanting pictures of the back connectors:

http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd458/vintageceilingfans/Sony%20Trinitron%20TV%20Model%20KV-1340/DSCF1933.jpg
http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd458/vintageceilingfans/Sony%20Trinitron%20TV%20Model%20KV-1340/DSCF1934.jpg

kx250rider
08-22-2014, 10:25 AM
Another possibility is that the back cover was replaced with a new one due to the "white powder deterioration" problem of those black plastic covers. The factory replacements had no tags, but the embossed Japanese model number was there. I say you have a replaced back.

Charles

etype2
08-22-2014, 10:31 AM
This still could be CVM-1225. When I blow up the VHF channel selector, I don't see channel 1 which you would see on a Japananese set. Can you verify?

Speculation here: the missing red metal tag may have had the correct U.S. Voltage and model CVM-1225 and for efficiency in manufacturing that may be why Sony put the red tag in the first place for U.S. models so they did not have to manufacture separate plastic back covers.

Domestic market called it a 12 inch, measuring viewing size, not total size of envelope.

I have a KV 1210U and KV 1220U. Would be interesting to see what is behind the red tags?

mpatoray
08-22-2014, 11:58 AM
I have the monitor version of this set great picture, I use it with my TI-99/4A computer. The UHF tuner has letters because it uses a preset style of UHF tuner, see that little screw mechanism above the UHF tuner that displays what channel it is on.

Matt

dieseljeep
08-22-2014, 12:02 PM
Someone was wanting pictures of the back connectors:

http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd458/vintageceilingfans/Sony%20Trinitron%20TV%20Model%20KV-1340/DSCF1933.jpg
http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd458/vintageceilingfans/Sony%20Trinitron%20TV%20Model%20KV-1340/DSCF1934.jpg
As long as you were photographing the back, you should've placed the power cord, so we could see the plug.
If it has an original two prong, molded plug, with a grounding pig-tail, it definately was built for the Japanese market. :scratch2:

dieseljeep
08-22-2014, 12:09 PM
I paid $120 plus shipping.. Seeing how it's a set I've been wanting.. The condition that it's in, I'd say the price is fair.. More than what you are willing to pay for a Portacolor?

Man! That's cold blooded! :D

zenith2134
08-22-2014, 12:47 PM
You sure did pay a premium for it, but it's certainly a nice one, and unique too.
Let's see a screenshot sometime.

jstout66
08-22-2014, 02:27 PM
Dieseljeep! Cold blooded, but it still made me laugh.. lol!
The "want to buy a Portacolor" thread is about as old and long as Firebirds post on his Magnavox issues.

Jon A.
08-22-2014, 03:19 PM
One thing about collecting older electronics is that you've got to either know how to fix them or be able and willing to learn. Anyone else is just a user and should stay away from them. Notice the labels on SS equipment that say "No user serviceable parts inside". Anything older, well, it's almost guaranteed to have bad parts that aren't "user serviceable".

jr_tech
08-22-2014, 05:43 PM
Notice the labels on SS equipment that say "No user serviceable parts inside". Anything older, well, it's almost guaranteed to have bad parts that aren't "user serviceable".

On the contrary, they were full of user serviceable parts (tubes), and tube testers were available at many locations. Many times I have seen non-tech people with a bag or two of tubes, checking them out at a "drugstore tester" and wondering if they indeed ended up buying proper replacements and got all the tubes back in the proper sockets. :scratch2:

There were also several paperbacks published with pictures of more common faults that could occur, indicating tube types that could possibly cause that problem.

DIY TV repair by totally non-tech people was common before SS sets became available.

jr

Jon A.
08-22-2014, 05:55 PM
Never mind, others can take the time to read my previous post carefully.

etype2
08-22-2014, 06:10 PM
One thing about collecting older electronics is that you've got to either know how to fix them or be able and willing to learn. Anyone else is just a user and should stay away from them. Notice the labels on SS equipment that say "No user serviceable parts inside". Anything older, well, it's almost guaranteed to have bad parts that aren't "user serviceable".

I don't know a lick on how to fix televisions, but I can appreciate and collect them. I just make sure the ones I collect are in good operating order.

I remember those drugstore tube testers. I was soured away from tube television because of the constant failures of the family black and white in the mid 50's to early. 60 's. My parents had to hire a repairman to come on a frequent basis. When it was time, I finally bought my first color set, a year after graduating high school in 1965. Even then, I wanted to buy the Motorola "works in a drawer" all transistor console, but it was too expensive, so settled on the RCA 19 inch consolette CTC 19. When the first all transistor Sony color sets came out, quickly ditched the RCA.

As I was not handy with television repair, I wanted to stay as far away from tube sets as possible. My perception at the time was transistor sets were more reliable, transistors don't burn out like tubes. I hope I didn't stray to far off topic.

Jeffhs
08-22-2014, 07:11 PM
My perception at the time was transistor sets were more reliable, transistors don't burn out like tubes.

Transistors do not "burn out" as do vacuum tubes, since, of course, transistors do not have filaments; however, they can short or develop intermittent connections. The other hazard to watch out for with transistor TVs, radios, etc. is, if you use them with outdoor antennas (or even indoor ones), static charges. These can destroy transistors in an instant; there are no second chances.

Static electricity from wool or nylon carpets, etc. injected into the set through the antenna can ruin solid-state gear just that quickly. I read years ago of someone who inadvertently did a tremendous amount of damage to his solid-state clock radio, stereo system, lamp dimmers, etc. because of static electricity. It is almost incredible how much current a single static spark can carry. Touch a solid-state radio or TV's indoor antenna without discharging yourself to a grounded surface first and, nine times out of ten, the tremendous static charge will damage or destroy the antenna coil and/or tuner in the blink of an eye.

Jon A.
08-22-2014, 09:42 PM
I don't know a lick on how to fix televisions, but I can appreciate and collect them. I just make sure the ones I collect are in good operating order.
I'll concede that it's doable then, but generally more difficult and expensive to get those you want.

holmesuser01
08-25-2014, 08:15 PM
A TV station I worked for back then had at least 30 of these sets all over the control room, and all over the rest of the building. The employees were encouraged to select our off-air signal, and then compare it to the in-house video signal. If we saw anything bad, we would call master control.

I loved working for an independent TV station back before FOX, etc.

:yes:

tvcollector
08-25-2014, 09:00 PM
I agree.. Seems like big corporations are taking over everything.. Soon they'll have us locked in cages..

No such thing as mom and pop anymore..

Fairlane500skyliner
09-15-2014, 09:40 AM
Only ?
Missing AN-14 antenna too.

Now do a comparison on condition....
LINK (https://www.flickr.com/photos/robcrx/sets/72157642552758503/)

If you think that's bad, you should've seen that 1969 PYE 24C-4 I dragged home. It makes this Sony looks like a pristine show-room example! I ended up tossing it because the cabinet fell apart. :tears:

Chris

Electronic M
09-15-2014, 04:16 PM
If you think that's bad, you should've seen that 1969 PYE 24C-4 I dragged home. It makes this Sony looks like a pristine show-room example! I ended up tossing it because the cabinet fell apart. :tears:

Chris

One nice thing about European modern style cabinets like that is that it is relatively easy for one that knows woodwork to make a convincing replica of the cabinet or rebuild it replacing non carved rotted wood... Of course if the cabinet failure took out the CRT or any other unobtainum then you would be up the proverbial creek.

Fairlane500skyliner
09-15-2014, 07:54 PM
One nice thing about European modern style cabinets like that is that it is relatively easy for one that knows woodwork to make a convincing replica of the cabinet or rebuild it replacing non carved rotted wood... Of course if the cabinet failure took out the CRT or any other unobtainum then you would be up the proverbial creek.

Sadly the set was a total write-off, as rats ate all the internal wiring, speaker cones, and decided to chew through the LOPT for some strange reason.

Chris

Jon F
09-15-2014, 09:12 PM
Nevermind, found the answer in an earlier post.