View Full Version : Sony triple TV

Eric H
10-29-2004, 11:34 PM
OK, when was this really made? I'm guessing 65-67?

http://cgi.aol.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=73374&item=5728789940&rd=1

Justen
10-29-2004, 11:44 PM
I don't know when it was made, but if the guy has lieved with it all his life, he probably is pretty correct- giving him the benefit of the doubt of course!

But a $25K buy it now? WTF? Cool yes, rare yes. But who would pay that much for what is litle more than 3 tvs in a console???

Sandy G
10-30-2004, 08:48 AM
No disrespect, but this guy's fulla beans. I remember seeing that set in a Sony catalog at Bondurant Bros co. in Knoxville about 1968-69. It was 13", B&W, and was significantly more expensive than what you coulda bought 3 13" TVs for & put 'em together. Even 13" Sonys-and Sony stuff was always "premium" priced,even at Bondurant's, the E Tenn. distributor. The Trinitron had recently come out, & I wondered why they didn't do the 3-in-1 trick w/it. Nevertheless, they are quite rare, but $25K-nahhh, don't think so. He'll be lucky to get a bid at $500, I'd think. -Sandy G.

Celt
10-30-2004, 09:51 AM
That thing is so typical of Sony... :rolleyes:

heathkit tv
10-30-2004, 10:14 AM
1959? I seriously doubt that, the style alone is more likely the later 60's or early 70's. If nothing else, Sony's eras are pretty easy to identify by style alone. I recall a 19" EIA rack mounted unit with 3 B&W monitors, probably around 5" screens....this was in the early/mid 70's....but this was more of an industrial/studio setup.

Speaking of rare, a friend of the family (owner/founder of Elektra records) had a color Sony (I believe pre-Trinitron) console set with a VTR back in the very late 60's. This was as least as big as the typical American wood consoles of that era but was super high tech for the time. I recall it costing between $5 to $10k back then.....a fortune! I *might* be wrong about it being in color, but am 100% clear on it being a VTR with perhaps 3/4" or 1" reel to reel tape. Have never seen another one like it.

Anthony

Celt
10-30-2004, 10:51 AM
Anthony, Was that Jac Holzman?

heathkit tv
10-30-2004, 01:54 PM
Was and still is :naughty: Was friends with his son Adam. You know him or did you just Google him?

Anthony

Celt
10-30-2004, 02:00 PM
No, I remember his name from the plethora of Elektra 45's and albums I bought as a kid. Seems his name was on nearly all of them! (Judy Collins, Love, Doors, Rhinoceros, etc.)

heathkit tv
10-30-2004, 02:06 PM
You forgotted a little known feller named Bobby Dylan. At one time or another I met most of them and even had din din with some of them.

You recall his other record label? It was classical music mainly, named "Nonesuch". The typeface of the logo was kinda weird and it looked to me like it said "Nauseous" so I used to say those records made me wanna puke.

Anthony

Celt
10-30-2004, 02:18 PM
Hmm...never saw any Dylan records on Elektra...just on Columbia. Yep, remember Nonesuch. It still exists but has moved on towards more mainstream stuff as Brian Wilson and Kronos Quartet.

heathkit tv
10-30-2004, 03:28 PM
You're right, Dylan wasn't on Elektra.....I do recall Holzman giving my folks a Dylan record though, guess he and Holzman were just friends. Used to see Bobby Boy around the Village back then. Damn I'm getting old.

Anthony

Sandy G
10-30-2004, 09:40 PM
Anthony- Yeah I remember seeing one o' those funky Sony color sets /VCR rigs at Bondurant's, too. I remember the VCR was HUGE & the TV looked suspiciously like an American set rebadged. It just didn't "look" like a Sony. You can tell a Sony color set a mile away-back in them days anyway, 'cos they had flat screen sides, & very moderately curved top & bottom sides. To an admittedly weird kid who noticed little things like that- I once burst a guy's bubble over a brand new 1968 Chevy Caprice station wagon-he'd literally drove it from his dealership in Louisville, Ky to Pawley's Island, SC. One side of the door frames had chrome trim around the windows, the other side didn't. This guy was my dad's biggest customer & we young'uns Weren't Supposed to Talk to Daddy's Clients. Be seen & not heard, you know. My old man about s--- when I told the guy that, but the guy was grateful. I saw him several times after that, & he & I always had a chuckle over it. Had 3 gorgeous daughters-one was Miss Kentucky one year in the late '60s, but I was the smart-ass kid who really ought to eff off & they didn't pay any attention to me. But hey- I was 11 & they were grown sophisticated women of at least 16,17 or so. <grin>-Sandy G.

kc8adu
10-30-2004, 11:41 PM
anyone remember the triple 5" color monitors?
i found one at a yardsale a while back.
btw the set on ebay looks to have weak crt's.

2DualsNotEnough
10-31-2004, 12:18 AM
Hmm...never saw any Dylan records on Elektra...just on Columbia. Yep, remember Nonesuch. It still exists but has moved on towards more mainstream stuff as Brian Wilson and Kronos Quartet.
I think Bob Dylan made one album for Electra-It was called just "Dylan"and it was a photo of him in sillouette with this godawfull psycadelic coloring.It was the pits.I think he went right back to Columbia after this record.I want to say this was 72 or 73.
Jimmy

kc8adu
11-01-2004, 07:05 PM
i remember those.
iirc it was a rebadged admiral.

Anthony- Yeah I remember seeing one o' those funky Sony color sets /VCR rigs at Bondurant's, too. I remember the VCR was HUGE & the TV looked suspiciously like an American set rebadged. It just didn't "look" like a Sony. You can tell a Sony color set a mile away-back in them days anyway, 'cos they had flat screen sides, & very moderately curved top & bottom sides. To an admittedly weird kid who noticed little things like that- I once burst a guy's bubble over a brand new 1968 Chevy Caprice station wagon-he'd literally drove it from his dealership in Louisville, Ky to Pawley's Island, SC. One side of the door frames had chrome trim around the windows, the other side didn't. This guy was my dad's biggest customer & we young'uns Weren't Supposed to Talk to Daddy's Clients. Be seen & not heard, you know. My old man about s--- when I told the guy that, but the guy was grateful. I saw him several times after that, & he & I always had a chuckle over it. Had 3 gorgeous daughters-one was Miss Kentucky one year in the late '60s, but I was the smart-ass kid who really ought to eff off & they didn't pay any attention to me. But hey- I was 11 & they were grown sophisticated women of at least 16,17 or so. <grin>-Sandy G.