View Full Version : Orion 310GNB31 Tube

lnx64
10-22-2013, 05:00 PM
Does anyone know anything about this picture tube? I have a friend who wants to know if it can be used as a direct replacement for the Philips 12VCMP31 that's in his TRS-80 right now.

I can't seem to find much on the Orion tube to know if it's compatible.

lnx64
10-24-2013, 01:53 PM
I guess no one knows this tube then. :(

Dreamsbeard
10-24-2013, 02:11 PM
Aren't the tubes always compatible if they have the same socket and same dimensions?

lnx64
10-24-2013, 02:20 PM
I didn't think they were based on the different adapters CRT testers have.

Dreamsbeard
10-24-2013, 02:25 PM
Yep, and if I remember correctly, most (I say most) of the CRT of the 80's , 90's and 2000's have the same pin layout, except for maybe Sony's and RCA. After that there is probably others things to consider, but I don't know what. (CRT voltage maybe and Yokes...?)

Need a more experienced member to chime in on that one.

Username1
10-24-2013, 05:01 PM
Back in HS 1980 I took BOCES for tv repair, Almost all our sets were donated, And me and a friend worked on a tv that needed a picture tube, we just measured the front, same so we put it in the set we were working on, not many things fit right, and the tube was 5" longer so we could not put the back on it, so we double-deckered a back cup over it.... The front had spaces because the dimensions were not quite right.... But the plug fit, and we stuffed paper towels around the neck to take up space with the yoke. Not the strangest thing we ever did there..... You can imagine the fun you can have with electronic stuff exploding each day.....

The dam thing worked.....

In other words.... If you can make it fit......then just do it....

wa2ise
10-24-2013, 06:50 PM
You may have problems with focus voltages being different, and such. A "screen" grid that wants a few hundred volts.

Jon A.
10-25-2013, 07:54 AM
Back in HS 1980 I took BOCES for tv repair, Almost all our sets were donated, And me and a friend worked on a tv that needed a picture tube, we just measured the front, same so we put it in the set we were working on, not many things fit right, and the tube was 5" longer so we could not put the back on it, so we double-deckered a back cup over it.... The front had spaces because the dimensions were not quite right.... But the plug fit, and we stuffed paper towels around the neck to take up space with the yoke. Not the strangest thing we ever did there..... You can imagine the fun you can have with electronic stuff exploding each day.....

The dam thing worked.....

In other words.... If you can make it fit......then just do it....
Oh man, sounds like the way some guys do automotive bodywork.

annuvin
10-25-2013, 02:03 PM
if the ears mount up, and if the yoke and the plug fits, give it a go. one additional thing to consider is the angle of deflection. the majority of CRT's are 90 degree, however 100 and 110 angle tubes are not uncommon. they are not interchangeable.

VintagePC
10-25-2013, 06:18 PM
if the ears mount up, and if the yoke and the plug fits, give it a go. one additional thing to consider is the angle of deflection. the majority of CRT's are 90 degree, however 100 and 110 angle tubes are not uncommon. they are not interchangeable.

Just out of curiosity, would that physically not work (no picture) , or would you still get an image that's just too wide/narrow for the screen?

colorfixer
10-26-2013, 01:44 AM
monochrome tubes are a bit more forgiving than color tubes. I've swapped a few that were similar deflection angles but sized -+ an inch ok.

lnx64
10-27-2013, 04:15 PM
It worked.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/croesyceiliog/10521930996/

He'll need to work out the retrace lines..