View Full Version : CTC-40 Vertical Collapse

RCAkid
06-25-2013, 02:20 PM
Well, fired up my CTC-40 which is parked in what can only be described as an aircraft carrier of a cabinet. But it has a super powerful stereo in it and sounds awesome, and, I love the thing.

Anyway, fired it up after about 6 months and we have lost vertical deflection. :no:

I did check the service switch and while I didn't spray deoxit on it, I did cycle it several times but still had the white line in the center of the screen. And yes, I turned the brightness way, way down so it is just barely visible.

So, aside from the yoke itself, did something less major fry or any suggestions where to begin? If this was a tube set, I would know exactly where to begin. It was working perfectly 6 months ago so obviously something went bad while sitting.

Any constructive thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Zenith26kc20
06-25-2013, 02:36 PM
Something in the back of my head remembers an open electrolytic in the output stage. Also, a large B+ feed resistor opens. I have to find my service book on that chassis and I can tell you more.

Zenith26kc20
06-25-2013, 02:48 PM
Found the service manual. Check for 75 volts on the collector of Q101. It is #ed 3564. No voltage check a 39 ohm 5 watt resistor on the red lead of the vertical output transistor. If it's open suspect Q101. This looks like a DC coupled vertical stage so one transistor can throw all the voltages out. Also check R103. It is a 1500 ohm 7 watt resistor going to terminal T on the PW500 board. Make sure it's leads are not corroded off.If none of this helps, I would start checking transistors starting with Q506, 505, 504, 503. I'll keep the book out if you need more info.

RCAkid
06-27-2013, 04:00 PM
Thank you so much for the detailed information! Will check it out and hopefully it is something that simple. fingers crossed.

bgadow
06-28-2013, 10:23 PM
If you need any odd parts, try to post the RCA part number. I've got a lot of NOS stuff from that era.

kx250rider
06-29-2013, 09:58 AM
I agree with the good advice posted, and can only add that those sets have a weird B+ regulation circuit, and you don't want to blow it out. Try to be sure you have cleared any shorts (i.e. the electrolytic and/or the transistors mentioned). If those SCRs blow in the regulation, it's s son-of-a-gun to get it working again, as per my (LIMITED) experience on CTC-40/44.

Charles