View Full Version : magnavox 95052 major issues

technicolor
03-18-2013, 05:48 PM
The magnavox combo i got last last week is toast, it has moisture and some rust issues. I can already see a massive tube in back, that is burnt. It crackles a little, but no sign of any components getting power.

I figure for the $15, i got a hell of a challenging project to learn on.

So, what do i do about the moisture, rust and filth? Crc? My basement has electric heat and is very dry. U think a week or two of that would dry out the chassis?

Sams is showing a photofact only, can anybody help with a schematic?

My kid is going to help me with some pics later

holmesuser01
03-18-2013, 07:08 PM
Let it dry out for awhile.

Any idea how long it's been since it was last turned on?

A VARIAC is good for soft-starting electronics.

There are probably some bad capacitors to deal with here.

The 'massive tube'... Do you mean the horizontal output? How do you know it's burned? If you're seeing a dark spot on the side of it, that's probably normal.

Do you possess a tube tester? Anything for servicework?

technicolor
03-18-2013, 07:22 PM

The 'massive tube'... Do you mean the horizontal output? How do you know it's burned? If you're seeing a dark spot on the side of it, that's probably normal.

got a multimeter and just ordered the schematic. That's it. Figured i focus on the tubes and capacitors.

Yeah, the tube has a big burn mark inside and sits next to what looks like the high voltage tower.

technicolor
03-18-2013, 09:13 PM

You know anything about the flyback on this chassis?

Zenith26kc20
03-19-2013, 09:00 AM
I think the burn mark you are talking about is the getter inside the tube. It looks like a big black burn inside the glass. It's normal.
Can you post the chassis #? It sould be something like T-9?? or close to that # scheme.
I would clean the chassis to see if anything that can produve a short is cleaned out.
A slow variac with the horizontal and vertical output tubes out is a good start. Watch the electrolytics for heating.
My avatar is my t-933. It produces a wonderful picture! Keep the maggies going!

holmesuser01
03-19-2013, 11:23 AM
You know anything about the flyback on this chassis?

Like what? Is yours dripping wax? That's fairly normal.

I remember back in the day trying to find new fly's for some Maggies that were in my shop. Back then, Magnavox would not sell to anyone, that I knew of, other than authorized dealers, and I sure couldn't pay dealer prices for a flyback, install it, and make money from my customer.

I'm glad you saved this old girl. They are good sets when all the bugs are ironed out. I'd love to see pictures of it.

That mark on that 6JE6/6LQ6 is probably the getter mark, as was stated above. That tube is insane-priced online. Good luck. I hope yours is OK.

Let us know the chassis number. You will find it on a little piece of paper stuck on the chassis somewhere.

dieseljeep
03-19-2013, 11:34 AM

I remember back in the day trying to find new fly's for some Maggies that were in my shop. Back then, Magnavox would not sell to anyone, that I knew of, other than authorized dealers, and I sure couldn't pay dealer prices for a flyback, install it, and make money from my customer.

I'm glad you saved this old girl. They are good sets when all the bugs are ironed out. I'd love to see pictures of it.

That mark on that 6JE6/6LQ6 is probably the getter mark, as was stated above. That tube is insane-priced online. Good luck. I hope yours is OK.

Let us know the chassis number. You will find it on a little piece of paper stuck on the chassis somewhere.
I never liked or recommended Magnavox products for the main reason of parts availabilty. I never thought that their products were as good as their owners thought they were.
I have to admit, that their tube stereos weren't bad. :yes:

DavGoodlin
03-19-2013, 11:46 AM
Mags were sold to many folks who wanted furniture first, good speakers second and a good repair tech keep it working. I never thought the TV electonics were outstanding but could look good when set up right and fairly dependable.

I had a nice-working T933 remote set, then sold it for rent money. Later I rescued a traded-in T933 combo in Italian Provincial that was like new. I replaced the tired CRT with a Sylvania 25AP22 and when I had to move into a small house 1990......let it go for $5 at the local auction house...:sigh:

technicolor
03-19-2013, 01:02 PM

Did the download with sams, i think i messed up. stamped on the back of the chassis in black ink is 95052. Looking at the photofact it looks different.

The chassis is covered in crud, i mean layered. This thing is nasty. It will be an all day possibly more clean up job. Last night i notice a very faint orange light at the back of the crt. Also noticed some tubes glowing. Let me guess, if a tube is not glowing that is no proof it went bad?

I'm semi retired so i'm not afraid of time or work put into it. As someone here mentioned, i'm hoping it's a capacitor, probably several.

It will be a good opportunity to learn, as i have no clue as to what i am doing.
It's not a zenith, and what's the worse thing that could happen, it starts working?

I was going to attack it with crc, rubbing alcohol, q tips, soft tooth brush and where i find corrosion lemon juice. Any opinions?

ps: I've already learned one important lesson, make gd sure it works, before 120 mile drives to go pick up a disaster, even if the price is free. I paid this asshole $15 to haul away her 300 lb problem.

DaveWM
03-19-2013, 02:13 PM
if you have no clue what you are doing then I would suggest you start off on something simple like a old BW TV or even just an old radio. What is your skill set? can you read schematics, do you have test equipment,do you have solder skills, etc....

there is a LOT more to tv service than just shot gun replacement of caps, esp sets from the 1960's on, which often do not require recapping (IMHO).

more likely a bad pot/switch/connection/tube or failed attempt to do a repair.