View Full Version : Can anyone Identify this TV?

pratman2
01-23-2013, 07:34 AM
Hello everyone,
I am trying to Identify the TV in this photograph. Here's what I know about it. It's black and white, probably early 60s or late 50s model. This photo was taken in 1966. Thanks for any help.

AP

marty59
01-23-2013, 07:38 AM
RCA B&W early/mid sixties.

DavGoodlin
01-23-2013, 07:50 AM
Chassis KCS 136, probably 1965

radiotvnut
01-23-2013, 11:34 AM
Yep, RCA. I've got the same set in a metal table model cabinet w/roll around cart.

old_coot88
01-23-2013, 11:54 AM
Sold a boatload of those brand new back in the day. All cabinet styles. Very reliable sets.

holmesuser01
01-23-2013, 12:44 PM
I did service on a load of this style set for a motel back in the day. They had an AM radio on them, too. "RCA Murial" comes to mind... All of them were 21 or 23" tabletop sets.

Very reliable. Now and then, they might need something besides a good tuner cleaning.

I did replace a couple of CRT's before the motel replaced them all with newfangled color Panasonic sets that I installed up high on the walls. I made alot of moolah on repairing those Panasonics for a few years.

dieseljeep
01-23-2013, 12:52 PM
I did service on a load of this style set for a motel back in the day. They had an AM radio on them, too. "RCA Murial" comes to mind... All of them were 21 or 23" tabletop sets.

Very reliable. Now and then, they might need something besides a good tuner cleaning.

I did replace a couple of CRT's before the motel replaced them all with newfangled color Panasonic sets that I installed up high on the walls. I made alot of moolah on repairing those Panasonics for a few years.
RCA outdid themselves on those models.
Are those the Panasonics, that had bad flybacks. :no:

Retspin
01-23-2013, 07:15 PM
That's the same set my grand parents had when I was a kid. Seeing that picture sure brought back good memories!

truetone36
01-23-2013, 08:29 PM
I have 2 of these, and a spare chassis sitting in my house trailer.

DavGoodlin
01-23-2013, 08:32 PM
:sigh:I did service on a load of this style set for a motel back in the day. They had an AM radio on them, too. "RCA Murial" comes to mind... All of them were 21 or 23" tabletop sets.

Ah yes! "Mural TV" was used for many years as RCA's institutional line. They had those as 19" w/AM radios in the local hospital till the mid-70's, no cable just the 4 VHF's (no UHF) from Philly:sigh:

pratman2
01-24-2013, 01:44 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone, I have been looking hi and low all over the internet for a sales ad/flyer, picture or something. This set belonged to my grandfather in the 60s, the photo was from an old 8mm film. Thanks, now I atleast have a little something to go on in my search. Of course I wouldn't turn down any photographs or sales flyers that anyone here had and was willing to share. Thanks again!

holmesuser01
01-24-2013, 05:07 PM
RCA outdid themselves on those models.
Are those the Panasonics, that had bad flybacks. :no:

I can still smell burned flybacks on those Panasonics. I replaced one around 6 months after it was installed!

radiotvnut
03-02-2013, 12:36 AM
I can still smell burned flybacks on those Panasonics. I replaced one around 6 months after it was installed!

Would I be correct in assuming those Panasonic's were from the early-to-mid '80's? I remember one Panasonic chassis that was used in some 13" & 17" GE color TV's that would, without warning, blow up and give off a foul odor.

Eric H
03-02-2013, 02:04 AM
I spot a Kenner Close-n-Play record player right in front of the TV!

compucat
03-02-2013, 08:04 AM
I spot a Kenner Close-n-Play record player right in front of the TV!

I got one of those record players for Christmas in 1974. Seeing it made me question whether the photo is really from 1966. I guessed correctly that the set was an RCA. What gave it away was the tuning knobs and the tiny on/off volume knob.