View Full Version : Hello

TubularTVbob
01-21-2013, 07:47 PM
I've been active with antique radios for about 15 years but have just recently started restoring vintage TV's (since 2009).

I would like to say Hello to everyone here and I am looking forward to being a part of this community.

Sandy G
01-21-2013, 08:19 PM
Oh,you poor, deranged fellow...(grin) Welcome !

David Roper
01-21-2013, 09:34 PM
Welcome! Inquiring minds want to know what you've collected so far. Also, since you're in the neighborhood relatively speaking, have you been to one of the Early Television Conventions yet?

old_tv_nut
01-21-2013, 09:58 PM
Welcome! Anything you'd like to show off? Always happy to gawk!

TubularTVbob
01-21-2013, 10:32 PM
I have two completed projects, a Motorola VT-71 and a Pilot TV-37U. I recently have picked up a Philco Predicta "Siesta" that's in need of a total restoration. I also recently acquired a Zenith Tennyson model 19" porthole console from 1951. Cosmetically, it's pristine original but I will need to do a complete electronic restoration. It came from the original owner's grandson, sweet!

I'm going to be busy for quite sometime. I usually hit the TV/radio restorations
pretty hard in the winter months, but slack off during the summer because of yard work, golf, and every chance I get to stay outside. I love the summer!

I haven't made the trek to the ETF Museum as of yet but I have made a small donation to them and have enjoyed their website. Hopefully my schedule will allow me to attend one of their upcoming events.

DavGoodlin
01-23-2013, 08:11 PM
Thanks for supporting your "local" museum! I support mine and its 2 hours away.

i am very interested in your Motorola VT-71 experiences. I like to think of those sets as a good entry-level to the real classics since the sweep is much like an oscilloscope.

earlyfilm
01-24-2013, 01:25 PM
Welcome to VideoKarma!

I see that you live in Richmond, IN, where the Wayne County Historical Museum is located. Do they still have any of Charles Francis Jenkins' early TVs there?

10 or 15 years ago, a receiver (without the picture display half) and some scanning wheels and tubes were on exhibit, along with some photographs. They claim to have his papers and notebooks, too, but did not seem interested in making them available to researchers. I gathered that the Museum is extremely under funded. The last time I was over there, they had nothing Jenkins related on display.

Jenkins was born in near by Dayton, Ohio, and spent his youth in Richmond, IN.

James.