View Full Version : hello i could use some help with a toshiba 36a43

jbattles
10-27-2012, 05:29 PM
i a nice gentleman gave me a toshiba 36 tv he was going to throw away. i got the set home and plugged it in and it would it would go into shut down and the power light would would flash. i unsolder the diode going to te xray curcit and the set will come on but i have no vertical deflection. i downloaded the service manual, but theres no schematic diagram. my question is can the vert ic be bad a cause the shutdown and has anyone have run accross this before, if anyone can help please let me know.

radiotvnut
10-27-2012, 06:59 PM
Many of the modern sets will shut down, to protect the CRT from burn-in, if the vertical deflection circuit fails. The first thing I'd check would be B+ voltage to the IC. If that's missing, you likely have a fusible resistor open and the resistor probably opened due to a shorted vertical output IC. Even if there's B+ voltage going to the IC, I'd still suspect the IC of being bad. Also, look for a capacitor, located close to the vertical output IC, that's rated between 47uf and 220uf @35-50 volts (100uf and 220uf are the most common values). When this cap starts failing, the viewer will notice thin white lines at the top of the screen. Over time, the cap will get worse and eventually blow out the vertical output IC. Unfortunately, most viewers continue to watch the TV until it loses vertical deflection. BTW, you'll also want to check any diodes in the vertical circuit, including the diode(s) that supply B+ voltage to the IC.

jbattles
10-28-2012, 10:49 AM
the output ic is bad. i reconnected the diode which supplies b+ to the vertical section and i removed the vert ic and i was able to keep the set on and i have my b+, so i will order a ic for it. thank you for you help.

radiotvnut
10-28-2012, 11:39 AM
Replace the cap I mentioned, as well. Otherwise, the new IC may fail instantly.

jbattles
10-30-2012, 07:59 PM
i will going to order one of those too.