View Full Version : Mid '60's 23" RCA B&W TV with cart

radiotvnut
09-21-2012, 05:17 PM
Here's a circa '64-'65 RCA 23" B&W TV, in a metal cabinet, with it's original roll around cart (that needs some help) that I picked up. This uses a KCS136 chassis, has the original owner's manual and schematic, and looks to be a decent chassis. I've always liked these large screen metal cabinet B&W TV's.

http://i538.photobucket.com/albums/ff341/radiotvnut/admiral009_zpsc5cde846.jpg
http://i538.photobucket.com/albums/ff341/radiotvnut/admiral010_zps367d9d57.jpg
http://i538.photobucket.com/albums/ff341/radiotvnut/admiral008_zps87cf7bc5.jpg
http://i538.photobucket.com/albums/ff341/radiotvnut/admiral007_zpsf8da51c3.jpg

bgadow
09-21-2012, 10:05 PM
I had one as a Lyceum, plain gray metal cabinet, came from a local school system. I was too dumb back then to fix it (just had a sync issue). There is something about your set that I like; cleaned up a bit, this will be very sharp looking.

zenithfan1
09-21-2012, 10:32 PM
I like the large screen B/W sets too, I have a 23" Zenith from '66 on a cart that looks a lot like your set. Nice find Bryan!

radiotvnut
05-15-2013, 12:44 AM
I finally pulled this set out the other night and noticed that the power switch was dangling loose inside the set. I jumped the switch, applied power; and, it came to life with no vertical deflection. I wiggled the vertical output tube and got sweep back; but, vertical deflection is still off. I also noticed that the vertical and horizontal sync is off at turn on and has to be adjusted each time the set is turned on. The good news is that the CRT is strong and the only problem areas appear to be in the sync circuits and vertical output stage. Once I get the picture locked; the TV presents a sharp picture with plenty of range in the brightness and contrast controls. I'm sure this set will be fine with some new capacitors, some resoldering, and cleaning of the tube sockets and controls. Everyone who I've talked to who remembers this chassis tells me that it was one of RCA's better B&W sets.

DaveWM
05-15-2013, 07:57 AM
Nice looking set. looks very east to work on as well. Hope you do a youtube of it.

dieseljeep
05-15-2013, 08:21 AM
I finally pulled this set out the other night and noticed that the power switch was dangling loose inside the set. I jumped the switch, applied power; and, it came to life with no vertical deflection. I wiggled the vertical output tube and got sweep back; but, vertical deflection is still off. I also noticed that the vertical and horizontal sync is off at turn on and has to be adjusted each time the set is turned on. The good news is that the CRT is strong and the only problem areas appear to be in the sync circuits and vertical output stage. Once I get the picture locked; the TV presents a sharp picture with plenty of range in the brightness and contrast controls. I'm sure this set will be fine with some new capacitors, some resoldering, and cleaning of the tube sockets and controls. Everyone who I've talked to who remembers this chassis tells me that it was one of RCA's better B&W sets.

The power switch looks like the ones I used. It can be reattached. I used to spot-solder them, so that wouldn't happen.
RCA built that same chassis for a few years, with a few variations. The earlier models had a different power transformer and 5U4 rectifier. The last models used all novar tubes, instead of some octals.
Yours is probably the next to the last model. :yes:

Kamakiri
05-15-2013, 08:33 AM
Large screen black and whites are getting more and more rare to find....

DaveWM
05-15-2013, 09:24 AM
my large screen B&W sets from the 60's have the short neck CRT's, maybe its just me but I think I like these large neck sets better.

Zenith26kc20
05-15-2013, 12:10 PM
The KCS165 is very similar. I have a 19 inch portable(?). It does have a handle. Mine needed a number of resistors in the horizontal and vertical stage. I also had to replace the deflection yoke. It is a great set!
This chassis family has an exceptionally sharp picture.

truetone36
05-15-2013, 01:23 PM
I need both channel selector knobs for one of these.

zenithfan1
05-15-2013, 07:53 PM
I may be able to help with those knobs, I'll let you know if I find them.

Sandy G
05-15-2013, 08:14 PM
That is a Double-First Cousin to the TVs they installed in my Elementary School about 1967-68. I remember taking butt rolls of paper over to them-36" wide X 1000' or so, back in the Eighties, & those old War Horses were STILL there..

truetone36
05-15-2013, 09:33 PM
I may be able to help with those knobs, I'll let you know if I find them.