View Full Version : '81 Sony KV1545R color TV

radiotvnut
05-21-2012, 10:11 PM
Someone just gave me this 15" Sony KV1545R color TV and the man who gave it to me said he bought it while he was stationed in Japan. He also gave me 3 newer BPC-era TV's and the reason he gave them to me is because he is moving, sold his house, must get everything out of the old house, and didn't want to fool with dragging these TV's around.

Concerning the Sony, he even gave me the schematic that came with the TV. As you can see, the TV has electronic tuning with an LED channel readout. Unfortunately, the picture is not that great (dark and bad greyscale). I wouldn't be surprised to find a weak CRT; but, maybe I'll get lucky and find that it only needs a control touch-up.

Was this set available world wide; or, was this set only available in Japan?

http://i538.photobucket.com/albums/ff341/radiotvnut/rca003.jpg

Electronic M
05-22-2012, 12:26 AM
Unless there is a VHF region adjustment some where in that set then it would have to be made for North America.....All channels below 7 in Japan are assigned different frequencies than here. In the USA the FM radio band is between CH 6 and 7, BUT in Japan they put the FM band BELOW the VHF TV band and made their TV band continuous(I believe they start their VHF channels with one BTW).

Eric H
05-22-2012, 08:36 AM
I just hauled one of those to the Thrift Store, it had some regulation problems and would only run on the Variac but it had a great Tube.

I have the remote for it if you need it.

kx250rider
05-22-2012, 10:29 AM
KV-1542R is a USA-Canada only model. That one has a really nice dark glass cover on it, which makes it one of the best pictures IMHO of any Sony portable. And that's the direct access PLL tuner too, as they had in the top of the line sets.

Charles

radiotvnut
05-24-2012, 12:13 AM
I checked this set further and the CRT, a 400EDB22, has a very weak green gun. The red still checked "good"; but, is a good bit weaker than the blue gun. I rejuvenated the green gun and it came up; but, it slowly fell back down. It stayed up long enough to tell me that this set would make a nice picture with a good CRT; but, since this set is so beat up, I'm probably not going to track down a CRT. I have a friend who sells used TV's at the flea market and I'll probably let him see if he can get a few dollars for it. Most of his clientele probably wouldn't care that the picture is not perfect, just so it has a picture.

rmont7629
05-29-2012, 11:03 AM
Before you throw in the towel, check with Video Display Corp. in Pennsylvania. They have discounted their rebuilt CRT's tremendously, and you might get it pretty cheap. I've used them quite a bit. They even make replacement tubes for projection TV's. It can't hurt to give them a call at (800) 441-1648 to find out.

Eric H
05-29-2012, 12:05 PM
The set I gave to the Thrift is still there at $9.95, I could stop and buy it back, either I could send you the tube or you could send me your chassis whichever works best.

radiotvnut
05-29-2012, 12:45 PM
The set I gave to the Thrift is still there at $9.95, I could stop and buy it back, either I could send you the tube or you could send me your chassis whichever works best.

My set is rather beat up and I'm not very motivated to fix it. If you need the chassis, it's yours for the cost of shipping.

ChrisW6ATV
05-29-2012, 03:08 PM
That is an interesting set, with an "all-in-one Profeel" look to it due to the controls and the glass panel. I don't remember noticing when these were new that they matched the Profeel equipment so well.

Eric H
05-29-2012, 05:08 PM
My set is rather beat up and I'm not very motivated to fix it. If you need the chassis, it's yours for the cost of shipping.

OK, or if it's not prohibitively expensive I could send you the tube and cabinet.

I'll stop by tonight and see if it's still there, don't think anyone will buy it not working but they might recycle it at some point.

Dave A
05-29-2012, 07:06 PM
I've had this KV-1356R forever just sitting in a back room. It is a remote-only set with a second RF input on the front. A pitch to the early gamers I suspect. Works well.

Then I searched for it and found this dire warning direct from Sony which includes both sets;

http://esupport.sony.com/perl/support-info.pl?info_id=606

I guess it depends on where it was purchased.

Eric H
05-29-2012, 08:29 PM
Well I decided not to stop and get it, it's just too much trouble and money for a set that's basically worthless.

radiotvnut
05-29-2012, 08:36 PM
Well I decided not to stop and get it, it's just too much trouble and money for a set that's basically worthless.

OK, I'm probably going to send it up the road with my flea market friend to see if he can get $5 or $10 out of it. If you change your mind in the next couple days, let me know.

ChrisW6ATV
05-30-2012, 01:33 AM
I searched for it and found this dire warning direct from Sony which includes both sets
That is a broad list that includes several sets I owned over several years (including maybe the one I picked up last year), though all of mine were the U.S. versions. I would sure like to know what the part(s) to worry about would be rather than just junk the old models, if I had one of those sets.